What happened to your ChampCar today 2021 ??

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've been working on fender flares using metal that we've removed from the trunk lid inside area.  I know it doesn't look like it covers the tire  at 2:00 but it does, optical illusion.    

Hit the dyno to break in new engine build...didn't break, and few extra ponies showed up to the party with a more conservative tune.  Just a few items left to do this weekend, test on Monday and park

Well, I hope they don't try to enforce flare width that exceeds 10 to 2.  It would be a bit tough (and SUCK major) to have to narrow this back up....

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, ABR-Glen said:

Do you think there are cars in this series that wouldn't benefit from 2 more gallons of fuel?

I’m sure at places like Daytona, the extra 2 gallons are great for everyone.  But at pretty much all the other tracks, a vast number of cars should go the 2hrs on stock tanks.  

I understand the want to limit the bigger hp cars that can go longer because of the extra 2gal and they have the speed to make up an extra stop.  Those are the same cars that are hard on tires and brakes etc too.  
But this would also hurt the cars that have extra small tanks even more.  

5 minutes ago, Bandit said:

Apparently the budget is a bit bigger than it was in 2013. 😀

That RCI cell is intriguing, the wedge shape means free diffuser, and because the filler plate is oval and the remote filler only comes in line with the major axis of the cell opening, that means a couple feet of extra of 2.5 inch hose to make it to the cell inlet.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Bandit said:

I've been looking closely at the wedge styles as well for similar reasons. Can mount it low without impacting diffuser location is the main thing.

The Jegs example is a perfect case to highlight the SFI shakedown operation. Exact same part with and without the sticker, nearly $100 difference

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, mhr650 said:

The Jegs example is a perfect case to highlight the SFI shakedown operation. Exact same part with and without the sticker, nearly $100 difference

RCI cells without SFI cert don't have foam so that is the only difference. The bladder itself is identical and foam can be added.

Foam-https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/15356/10002/-1

Would be nice if the SFI requirement was waved for JAZ and RCI cells as all one is doing is buying an overpriced sticker. JAZ says right on their site they'll put it on any of their cells.

3 hours ago, LuckyKid said:

Ecotec Cobalt = 300pts
Ecotec Miata = 391pts

Not in this discussion but did something magically change to get an ecotec miata at 391pts swapped? It has been 409

for some time. Maybe you can help me find the missing points.

2 minutes ago, 55mini said:

Not in this discussion but did something magically change to get an ecotec miata at 391pts swapped? It has been 409

for some time. Maybe you can help me find the missing points.

No I was mistaken.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, atxe30 said:

thought this was the "what did you do to your CC today" thread?? #justsayin.......

Whatdya get done?  Haha

I got the car nut and bolted. 

Made different size adapter to raise or lower the steering wheel so @NigelStu can see over the steering wheel.

Reinstalled the shifter, seat, and the driver feet standoff plate for heat.

Also found some tools laying about inside the car and removed them.

Reattached my wing end plates (always take them off in the shop because I smash into them constantly...).

Put the wheels on, and load it on the trailer tonight for a track day at Roebling Road tomorrow!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hah, I put in an offer on a Canton road race oil pan for one of my cars, That's about as close as I'll get to doing anything constructive today.  I get confused, seems as though there are a few variations. The 630 is stated a s9 qt and 13" wide and the 630S is 8 qts and 12 inches wide.  This one is the non S version and of course front sump for my intended application.  Will see....  I know the Fox guys probably have to use the rear sump versions so a little different.  Will have to decide if I want to spend 20 more points on an oil cooler or just remote mount a couple of filters with this larger capacity pan.

Canton 15-630.jpg

Cantonbottom.jpg

Cantonvsstock4.jpg

Anyone willing to do this to there spindles? No these are not mine, these are a guy running a Pro Touring car with 285/35's up front but same spindles as mine.  I'm guessing some would be a bit reluctant to go this far for potential safety reasons?

That said, should be a free point mod...

cache (9).jpg

cache (10).jpg

cache (24).jpg

cache (25).jpg

cache (26).jpg

cache (27).jpg

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, 67Mustang said:

CSRP makes 1.5" drop spindles already but don't want to get stuck with points for spindles if I buy them already shortened...

I'm sure someone is running around with cut and welded spindles. I'd feel more comfortable spending the 20 points.

Besides, shortening the spindle like that will really change the geometry. Do fords need shorter spindles for some reason? The stuff I am familiar with, older GM's, you want the spindle taller.

*I'm also not seeing how shortening the upper part of the spindle will lower the car. You raise the pin to lower ride height.

Edited by Bandit

Most just do the Shelby  or Arning drop and that helps the geometry a lot, even just the 1" std drop.  It really doesn't drop the car that much, it just helps with the camber curve.  The stock setup is actually positive, so the shelby drop moves it more neutral to negative.  Another mod is to move the spring perch out an inch on the UCA, but that raises the car back up.  Most people cut springs or use shorter springs to get it lower yet but you can run out of space there too. so if the spindle is 1.5" shorter for the same body height you can retain a more complete spring and damper range. So I guess all of those things play together.  These are poached shots, but they are the guy with the cut spindles above.  The other benefit, is it will get the upper ball joint away from the rim in some cases.  The nice thing is it's all relocating stuff for the most part so free points wise.  I already have made my own heim end radius rods for my car, so 5 more points for side....and pts if I go put a spherical bearing in the lower arm as well.

I guess I should say I'll probably just do the shelby drop 1.75" on the UCA inner, move the perch out, and go with the 620 lb springs and see how that goes.  If there is still something to gain and it is worth 20 points, they can do the drop spindles as well.

cache (18).jpg

cache (37).jpg

Edited by 67Mustang
  • Like 2

I forgot Mustangs/Falcons have the spring on the upper control arm. 1st gen Chevy II's do as well.

I assume one lowers the UCA mount as similar amount as well when doing this.

The Shelby mod is much the same as the Guldstrand mod on 1st gen F bodies. Lowering the inner UCA mounting vastly improves the camber curve. Effectively does the same as taller ball joints/taller spindle, which wouldn't work well with the Mustang style suspension, but they were rules limited in early Trans Am.

• Like 1

Yes, they would lower that UCA inner mount point 1" on the production cars and up to 1.75" on the race cars.  Much more than one inch and the upper balljoint is put in a bind at upward travel.  They have since offered wedge kits to tilt the ball joint to compensate, but you can also cut a vee notch in the UCA just inboard of the ball joint and bend it and reweld to get the same effect.  I think the wedge kit would cost points here, the cut and weld should be a free mod.

I get the impression that actually shortening the spindle is a more recent attempt to get the car a bit lower after all those other geometry mods are sorted out.  Also I think you are correct, they would not have shortened the spindles for the TA back in the day due to the rules.

Edited by 67Mustang
1 minute ago, 67Mustang said:

Today it is 100 points, yes...  Tomorrow???  Who knows.....

Kick the Miata's teeth in and it will be bumped to 300. 😂

Seriously, that is a concern with this series. Altima's found out along with a few others.

1 minute ago, Bandit said:

Kick the Miata's teeth in and it will be bumped to 300. 😂

Seriously, that is a concern with this series. Altima's found out along with a few others.

Oh I know, but I don't think the Falcon would have any shot unless it was a small field on the right track and the planets aligned lol.  It's been a while since anything that old got to a podium hasn't it?  And the Vette has almost twice the fuel...