What happened to your ChampCar today 2021 ??

It wouldn't be easy by any means, but with 400 points a guy can damn near build his own chassis and put as much power as he wants under the hood.

And then be relegated to EC with a VPI increase as soon as it shows promise.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've been working on fender flares using metal that we've removed from the trunk lid inside area.  I know it doesn't look like it covers the tire  at 2:00 but it does, optical illusion.    

Hit the dyno to break in new engine build...didn't break, and few extra ponies showed up to the party with a more conservative tune.  Just a few items left to do this weekend, test on Monday and park

Well, I hope they don't try to enforce flare width that exceeds 10 to 2.  It would be a bit tough (and SUCK major) to have to narrow this back up....

Posted Images

I could run an auto :) wouldn't that make it start out at 25 points??

Don't forget, it's a small tank.  14 gal...  65 had 16 gal.... 70 mustang I think had 20.... 67 Fairlane had 20.1 and my favorite, the 66 Galaxie had that 25.1 gal tank lol...

Edited by 67Mustang
6 hours ago, 67Mustang said:

cache (27).jpg

The shop I worked at in the '90s modified spindles to the owner's specs. Occasionally, I did the "finishing" by texturing the surface to hide the mods.

Sort of like this:

KIMG2424.jpg.0e996400c1a3624be52568b3aab85843.jpg

KIMG2425.jpg.3bedc9c85393982164ec4b86c9c86140.jpg

Edited by mender
  • Like 5

Started up the 13b in my RX7 with the fuel injection! I'll miss the backfire as I lifted under the bridge at Mid-Ohio, but the efficiency should be worth it. 

Yet another Mazda FB

On to it's 3rd race 

Edited by Fiatnut

We've been working on fender flares using metal that we've removed from the trunk lid inside area.  I know it doesn't look like it covers the tire  at 2:00 but it does, optical illusion.  

Fender_Flare_1.jpg

Fender_Flare_2.jpg

Fender_Flare_3.jpg

Fender_Flare_4.jpg

Fender_Flare_5.jpg

Edited by hcsi99
  • Like 13
  • Technical Advisory Committee

Nice job! Some say fender flares make our cars ugly. I tend to disagree. When done well, like the example above, and by re-using materials as shown, very nice results can be had without adding points. 
again, well done Lee. 

• Thanks 1

Since we had rare (for Feb) dry/warm couple days I was able to roll the car out and slap some paint on some bare metal/rusty spots in the headlight/radiator area and new hood pin mounts.  Also signed up for the Charlotte race.

• Like 1

Today we get our block back from the machine shop!  Finally get to start putting everything back together.

Reason for the rebuild is that after last season we found that we had bad compression and leak down.  This block is over 200k miles and has not been rebuilt.  We're also rebuilding the head.

It's too late for us to make the Spring Harris Hill race but we'll be ready for the Fall Harris Hill race for sure.

re-pinned the ECU to get my tach signal directly from ECU instead of the ignition board.

It would start getting flakey after about 15 mins.  We will see if it was the actual tach or the signal....

Also, dropped my phone in the toilet from 3 feet away while washing my hands.  It was in my hoodie and I somehow hit that pocket and sent the phone flying...  Plooop.

Now, Im pissy and having a crappy time.  Lolz.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
6 minutes ago, tommytipover said:

You are hiding invisible lightening holes with that clear tape, aren't you?  :)

If they were invisible would it really matter? 🤔

11 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

re-pinned the ECU to get my tach signal directly from ECU instead of the ignition board.

It would start getting flakey after about 15 mins.  We will see if it was the actual tach or the signal....

Interesting; always had a solid tach reading from the ICM.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Snorman said:

Remember when I said we were just making the car pretty for 2021? 

I lied. 

See ...  Just epic trolling.

Car looks great!  I bet y'all are excited for this year.

• Haha 1
On 2/24/2021 at 5:39 PM, LuckyKid said:

Have you seen some of the fuel cell installations?  Moving from an OE fuel system to something where entry-level-racer needs to build their own lines and own fittings with their own routing likely negates any safety from a bladder.

Ecotec Cobalt = 300pts
Ecotec Miata = 391pts

How did you get 391 pts I'm claiming 401

Pulled the garbage weld job roll cage out of the car in preparation for a new cage getting properly installed. I knew it was garbage before, but seeing it outside of the car just p****** me off. I got a reasonable settlement to try and make it right, but I am just amazed anyone thought to even try and pass this off... 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Fetterhund
  • Sad 8
27 minutes ago, Fetterhund said:

Pulled the garbage weld job roll cage out of the car in preparation for a new cage getting properly installed. I knew it was garbage before, but seeing it outside of the car just p****** me off. I got a reasonable settlement to try and make it right, but I am just amazed anyone thought to even try and pass this off... 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Expensive tube to be learning to weld on.

2 minutes ago, gundy said:

Expensive tube to be learning to weld on.

LOL right! The installer claimed to have decades of experience and has a shop.

One positive from this is that it did spur me to start learning how to weld, and a couple sections of tube I have played with look quite a bit better than this and I did a functional job welding the exhaust, but not going to kid myself into welding a critical piece of safety gear. I have a proven and reputable person lined up for that. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, 67Mustang said:

Man, that is a scary looking cage....

A man has to know his limitations.

I don't weld cages.

Amazed people push out that kind of crap and actually expect to be paid for it.

• Like 2