2021 ChampCar iRacing Series: Round 2, VIR South - 2/17/2021, 2/24/2021

Rapido

Exciting times in the CCiS, as we head to Virginia International Raceway to experience the debut of a new vehicle in the league. It's FWD, it's disconcertingly quiet, and it understeers like a greased penguin. That's right, it's the Volkswagen Jetta TDI. This event promises to be tight and competitive, as passing is difficult but offtrack adventures are frequent. Our first round of the season featured some great clean racing, so looking forward to this different challenge. Please remember to fill out the broadcast information form (linked at the bottom of this post) so that the commentators can be sure to give you a shout-out! 

This race holds sentimental value for me personally, as it was the first ChampCar event in which our team competed in 2017. You can see the record of that event here, but it was a very memorable weekend and we enjoyed it so much we've kept coming back to ChampCar ever since. 

Please Note - the VIR South pitlane is extremely short, and as such the event will be limited to the first 34 cars that enter. Please do not register if you do not intend to race. I will be reviewing the results and failure to start the race having registered may lead to a warning or suspension from the league. If you were intending to race but found yourself unable to register due to a full session, then please message me directly via iRacing or this forum before the race starts - I will take this into consideration when counting the race participation for entry into the random prize draw.

Session Details

• Practice Round: Wednesday, 17-February-2021
  • Championship Round: Wednesday, 24-February-2021
  • Practice Start: 6:30pm ET
  • Qualifying Start: 8:30pm ET
  • Race Start: 9:30pm ET
  • Car: VW Jetta TDI Cup
  • Track: VIR South
  • In-Sim Session Date: Saturday, 6-March-2021
  • In-Sim Session Start Time: 12:00pm
  • In-Sim Time Multiplier: 1x
  • Weather: Auto-Generated
  • Setup: Fixed Setup with 2.1g starting fuel (iRacing baseline)
  • Fast Repairs: 1
  • License Requirements: Practice Rounds (None), Championship Round (>D2.0)

Useful Links

ChampCar iRacing Series - League Application

Discord Server

2021 ChampCar iRacing Series schedule

2021 CCiS Broadcast Information Form

2021 CCiS Protest Form

Guide to iRacing and Hardware

How to create your own iRacing paints

iRacing Tips and Resources

• Like 1

Fun race for the most part. Highest I’ve ever qualified. Kinda figured I couldn’t stay there all race but I gave it a shot. Had a headset blink that caught me out, and then someone spun into 1, I attempted to go around the outside right at the same moment they decided to back up. Story of my iracing career.

See ya guys next week

• Like 2

Pitted lap 7 because I felt I was being held up a bit.  Bad move.  Came out with no draft and was .5 slower every lap, and ended up with .8 too much gas... er diesel.  Crew chief on probation lol.  Still managed to finish 1 better than my starting position and on lead lap.  Up to P15 in points.  

I curse the weatherman for giving us 87 degrees in February.  In testing I could run within .5 of the leaders, but here ended up .9 off.

Also this race was pretty much the exact opposite of the start of the practice race last week.

• Like 1

My 13 yo son and I had our first race on Iracing with Champcar at VIR...no one every finishes where they want except the leader of the last lap and even though we were rolling roadblocks the racing experience was very similar to RL.  My kid has never experienced that kind of pressure to perform and being exposed to superfast guys, off track excursions, and accident avoidance will only make him a better competitor in any sport he participates.  Thanks for having us.

Until next time,

Kerry and Andy Steed

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, ASenna said:

My 13 yo son and I had our first race on Iracing with Champcar at VIR...no one every finishes where they want except the leader of the last lap and even though we were rolling roadblocks the racing experience was very similar to RL.  My kid has never experienced that kind of pressure to perform and being exposed to superfast guys, off track excursions, and accident avoidance will only make him a better competitor in any sport he participates.  Thanks for having us.

Until next time,

Kerry and Andy Steed

Hello!  Thanks for joining us.  Do you have the ability to hear/speak on the iRacing driver channel?  If so it might be worth a quick announcement at the start of the race that we have a new young driver so drivers are aware, make proper adjustments, and can also offer advice.  Also the broadcasters monitor the channel you might get some recognition on air. 

I did announce when my daughter made her debut last year.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ASenna said:

Until next time,

Kerry and Andy Steed

That's great that your son took part.  Now I feel bad for the abuse that he was given over the mic (not by me).  One thing is for sure, you're way faster in real life :)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ASenna said:

Until next time,

Kerry and Andy Steed

Kerry, 

That brings clarity to some of the on track decisions Andy made during the race.  Blue flags matter, please discuss with him and yes he did suffer some abuse in the online chat in iracing that could have been avoided if more drivers were made aware of his rookie status.

Also, if you haven't already please join the discord group as a lot of great information is shared there including tips on shift points, braking and turn in point etc.  The goal of the Iracing Series is to introduce drivers to Champcar and eventually getting them involved in the actual physical series.  Good job on getting your son pointed in the right direction!

• Like 2

Hello @ASenna one more thought - I do host unofficial practice races for each event - these would be good tools for practice in a bit more low key environment using the same car/track combos we use here in CCiS.  I post them in the forum on a separate thread and in the Discord