Air dam help

petawawarace

Since we havnt been able to get to any races in the US, I can’t see what guys are doing.   Hoping someone can help me out.  

Im going to be cleaning the front on the Cobalt up aero wise.  I’m going to add a splitter and about a 3” air dam between the bottom of the nose and the splitter.  I submitted a ticket asking about covering up the fog light holes, which was answered with a charge for materials.  That was before I was sure I would claim an air dam. 
Is it reasonable to assume I could close off the 2 fog light holes and the upper grill (circled in red) with material of my choice if I claim an air dam?  

FD009F25-85C7-45C7-B1B3-45EFD958CEEC.jpeg

7 minutes ago, petawawarace said:

Since we havnt been able to get to any races in the US, I can’t see what guys are doing.   Hoping someone can help me out.  

Im going to be cleaning the front on the Cobalt up aero wise.  I’m going to add a splitter and about a 3” air dam between the bottom of the nose and the splitter.  I submitted a ticket asking about covering up the fog light holes, which was answered with a charge for materials.  That was before I was sure I would claim an air dam. 
Is it reasonable to assume I could close off the 2 fog light holes and the upper grill (circled in red) with material of my choice if I claim an air dam?  

FD009F25-85C7-45C7-B1B3-45EFD958CEEC.jpeg

Well, you can / maybe should cut off the entire bumper of the car below the actual bumper and replace with an airdam.  Otherwise, you would be carrying extra parts that are not needed.

I believe you will NOT be able to cover up the upper grill without points because that is not part of the vertical surface that an airdam is defined as.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Well, you can / maybe should cut off the entire bumper of the car below the actual bumper and replace with an airdam.  Otherwise, you would be carrying extra parts that are not needed.

I believe you will NOT be able to cover up the upper grill without points because that is not part of the vertical surface that an airdam is defined as.

The lower section of the bumper is pretty much vertical and perfect as an “air-dam”.  I just need to extend it down some more.  I see what your saying, like all the Miatas do, but 80% of that is already there on my car.  

3 hours ago, petawawarace said:

Yeah I guess I could easily re-purpose something to cover it up but it’ll look like garbage.  I believe I could also duct-tape over it for 0 points too right?  

Yes, or you could cut the ends of the grille slats, nest them against each other in a "closed" position and glue them back in place. 0 points.

Edited by mender

16 minutes ago, petawawarace said:

Any advantage to the “undercut” like that? Higher pressure above the splitter? I could easily do that, but not sure why. 

I've been trying to find testing either way but haven't yet. That was on NASCAR's Car Of Tomorrow, pretty sure there was a bunch of testing before they decided on that design. The best I could find is this:

https://hanchagroup.wordpress.com/2013/01/29/splitter-or-air-dam-which-design-is-best/

My thoughts: higher pressure because of the undercut and more exposed splitter surface for that high pressure to act on, but the high pressure will also be acting on the underside of the overhang, possibly cancelling out some or even all of the extra splitter area. 

Some more reading for you:

https://professionalawesome.com/diy-downforce/#:~:text=Splitter Angle&text=Angles should be in the,of attack for maximum performance.

Edited by mender

12 minutes ago, mender said:

I've been trying to find testing either way but haven't yet. That was on NASCAR's Car Of Tomorrow, pretty sure there was a bunch of testing before they decided on that design. The best I could find is this:

https://hanchagroup.wordpress.com/2013/01/29/splitter-or-air-dam-which-design-is-best/

My thoughts: higher pressure because of the undercut and more exposed splitter surface for that high pressure to act on, but the high pressure will also be acting on the underside of the overhang, possibly cancelling out some or even all of the extra splitter area. 

Some more reading for you:

https://professionalawesome.com/diy-downforce/#:~:text=Splitter Angle&text=Angles should be in the,of attack for maximum performance.

Read that second place me a few weeks ago. Thanks tho.  
With this car, I’m more concerned with making it slippery.  The stock setup leaves a lot to be desired.   
I don’t really need more front downforce. 

Edited by petawawarace