Watching a few vides and the last Rolex I saw a few teams with bungies that pull back the belts to keep them out of the seat during driver changes. I found a singular Schroth product that they dont seem to produce anymore on their official site but cant find anything else. Is there a specific item anyone knows about or will any stretchy cord work? Wasnt sure if the material needed to be fire retardant like everything else.

https://discoveryparts.com/schroth-racing-harness-mounting-and-accessories-/1338-schroth-harness-elastic-band-kit-sr-00050-.html

This is not outlawed by the FIA and IMSA. They discovered the surgical tubing would loosen the belts. which is bad.
Knowing that. I purchased a roll of surgical tubing, and use that. 

So you do currently use the surgical tubing? We were looking at something like this since its pretty cheap and comes in 10' which we would have plenty to re do it if it loses elasticity just wasnt sure if the material was allowed in the car since its likely not fireproof.

Edited by YoKramer

oh, and yes, I have it in the MR2 and the Opel GT.
I attach it to the seat belt bar, and wrap it over the top of the cage, and down to the belts. 
Be mindful that your HANS can tangle up with it sometimes.
I am not recommending it. You have 5 minutes to get in and out of the car. Pro's do not.

1 hour ago, YoKramer said:

Watching a few vides and the last Rolex I saw a few teams with bungies that pull back the belts to keep them out of the seat during driver changes. I found a singular Schroth product that they dont seem to produce anymore on their official site but cant find anything else. Is there a specific item anyone knows about or will any stretchy cord work? Wasnt sure if the material needed to be fire retardant like everything else.

https://discoveryparts.com/schroth-racing-harness-mounting-and-accessories-/1338-schroth-harness-elastic-band-kit-sr-00050-.html

An alternative that works well for us is a flat magnet painted red.  One stuck to the roof, one fastened to the window post behind the driver.  It doesn't pull the belts away when you pop the buckle, but you have the time to take and slap the steel end of the belt onto the magnet.  Noticeable improvement.

Edited by BollingerChump
  • Like 7

Any sort of 1/8" shock cord will work for the lap belts.  We only really need one on the passenger side belt as the driver side tends to flop over the edge of the seat as you get out (that passenger side ALWAYS seems to fall under the butt of the incoming driver!). Make it just tight enough that it'll pull over the seat when detached.  If too tight shock cord it makes it a pain to get buckled.

Similar to a magnet, a good strong velcro stuck to the roof and the corresponding velcro on the belt will let you stick it to the roof pretty easily.