Title says it. I want to get into wheel to wheel racing and champ car seems like the easiest point of entry. I want to do some arrive and drive stints at some point but would rather volunteer as pit crew for a team first to make sure everyone is a good fit for what I'm looking to get out of learning to race. 

I'm good with a wrench and know my way around cars. Would love to learn anything you have to teach me. Willing to fly to whatever event(s) I volunteer at since I'm off in no man's land in the northwest (no events anywhere near me). 

• Like 1

Hello

Not sure if you want to come to Hallett Oklahoma in May. I have learned you need help doing this racing. Of the 4 races I have done 3 of them with only  3 people. My son and myself driving. The best wife in the world helped at pit stops..You can do it but its exhausting.

Doing it different this trip. I have drivers for this race. My son, Mike George (my best friend),Jimmy Albertson (ex supercross rider) and myself. Thus your help in the pits is needed and if someone is not able to drive you can fill in. 86 mustang v8 go fast straight turn slow car. Cant expect luxury accommodations, hospitality tent and personal chef. We are grassroots bare bones 10x10 pop up and make your own peanut butter and jelly team. We do want to race clean and finish to the very end is our goal. It's a lot harder than it looks. Once the car is set up (always room to improve on it each race) it's about $3k a race (fees hotels and expendables). Bought a car from another champcar racer and then I just jumped in. I get butterflies in my stomach everytime I start the engine and pull onto the track. Then the adrenaline is on for a hour and a half. It's wicked fun.

• Like 3

That may work out for my schedule. It blows my mind that there are teams in champ car with full on catering and whatnot. Seems like it defeats half the fun of grassroots Motorsports lol. I have no issue paying for my own way just to volunteer. Hell I could even sort of cater for the team too if your teammates are interested in pitching in. Never occurred to me that food is a really important way a guy could contribute to a team. 

• Like 1
On 2/28/2021 at 9:21 AM, Lilacsandgarnets said:

It blows my mind that there are teams in champ car with full on catering and whatnot.

Now hold on a minute!!!

I run with a couple of champ teams and a couple of citrus teams, and all I do is crew and cook. So all of those teams get there own personal chef.

Half the time I make extra food/deserts/alcohol, and give it away around the padock.

Now I work out of the back of an F150, and 2 10x10 pop ups, no heavy hauler with crew quarters here, but my teams eat well.

Last 2 races included a crown rack of lamb, and a beef wellington.

Wish I could make it out to OK but it's not in the cards.

• Like 4

Food is sooo important at the track.  When we are lucky enough to have somebody cook for us, it is amazing!

Most of the time I forget to eat before the concession closes and I'm left scrounging for cliff bars or a half eaten banana....

• Like 2
  • Technical Advisory Committee
Posted (edited)

I can attest to @Fitsbain‘s cooking and pot luck organizing at PIRC (and more) most every year. His offerings, hospitality and friendship are a pleasure to have around on the race weekends. 

Edited by mcoppola
  • Like 3
  • 1 month later...