Fielding petition input

I’m planning to write a petition but won’t waste my time if membership isn’t in favor. 

Here’s the gist:

Duct tape is being used as a building material but it’s claimed under the free and vague “fastener” exemption. 

Tape used to cover a seam or gap in bodywork is fine with me, but if you cut holes through the body to reduce weight and then cover those holes with tape to solve the aero drag that would result from the holes, you should be paying for it.

(by my reading, this should be points already, because the tape isn’t being used as a fastener... it isn’t being used to “attach things to other things”.. but tech has allowed it so a rewriting of the rule may be needed)

Let me know your thoughts. 

Edited by enginerd
  • Sad 2
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think wraps should be legal.  I think your tape should be legal.  Tape gets used too many ways in emergency situations to consider a rule against its liberal use, in my opinion.  There are bigger

So does that mean cars can’t be wrapped either?  

Red Green would not approve of limiting Duct tape! Me either.😁

Posted Images

200mph tape in place of sheetmetal? 😂

One wouldn't think it would need to be a rule, but I concur with your position*. Related to the 60% body crap rule I assume.

*With a caveat that it can be used to adjust radiator opening for the Nascar types.

I just literally submitted this today.

Its almost word for word what I wrote.  Is this real life?

4.7.2: • Hardware, fasteners, and materials used to attach things to other things (nuts, bolts, screws, rivets, duct tape, bailing wire, zip ties, JB Weld, etc.)

Hardware, fasteners, and materials used to create parts or body panels shall be charged material points or points per the fixed point list. Tape of body panel seams or to cover holes will be allowed for no points, unless the tape become integral to the function of the panel, IE: "swiss cheesing" of panels and covering with tape.

Provide a list of the positive changes and/or rationale for implementing the proposed solution or revised rule: *

This will better clarify the existing intent of the rule of which a liberal interpretation is being taken advantage of.
Edited by LuckyKid
23 minutes ago, LuckyKid said:

I just literally submitted this today.

Its almost word for word what I wrote.  Is this real life?

4.7.2: • Hardware, fasteners, and materials used to attach things to other things (nuts, bolts, screws, rivets, duct tape, bailing wire, zip ties, JB Weld, etc.)

Hardware, fasteners, and materials used to create parts or body panels shall be charged material points or points per the fixed point list. Tape of body panel seams or to cover holes will be allowed for no points, unless the tape become integral to the function of the panel, IE: "swiss cheesing" of panels and covering with tape.

Provide a list of the positive changes and/or rationale for implementing the proposed solution or revised rule: *

This will better clarify the existing intent of the rule of which a liberal interpretation is being taken advantage of.

Well that makes my life easier!

30 minutes ago, Andrew D Johnson said:

This is supposed to be crapcan racing, I say use tape for whatever you want. Hacking up a car and then covering it in tape is very "chumpy" IMO

The name is Champcar.

spacer.png

• Like 1
Just now, petawawarace said:

But why would you cover internal structure with tape?  

I couldn't find a swiss cheesed body, well didn't look as who the hell would do that, so used a swiss cheese frame as an example.

Do the same to the body and you will lose a lot of weight. Just like that guy did with his frame.

4 minutes ago, Bandit said:

I don't even know what that is/was....

Bet it's sheetmetal is a bit thicker than .035 though.

so let’s say 0.053”.   So in that example which would be the absolute extreme, he maybe saved 10lbs at most.  On a 3500lb car probably?  

Edited by petawawarace

Completely disagree.  The series is based on ingenuity, craftiness and inexpensive, low cost car builds. My car is covered in tape because I choose not to spend money on paint and body work(the new car doesn’t have holes and when it’s done I’m converting the current car to hole-less panels). But I’m still going to cover it in tape.  BTW, the current holes in my body work save all of 14lbs.  

70619131-1C52-43E4-806F-AC359E9B5DC6.jpeg

Edited by Ronh911
  • Like 4
17 minutes ago, Andrew D Johnson said:

Couple of "speed holes" never hurt anyone! 

spacer.png

I forget what the theme was exactly, Swiss cheese or something.  Hat was painted yellow before.  It had twin blowers from a supercharged 3800.  It was fairly quick until the blowers failed.

It is a marlin, fyi.  I've raced aga8nst it many times.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, petawawarace said:

Most newer sheet metal is like 0.035".  You could drill 100 2.5" holes in the body and all you would save is 4lbs.  This really is not an issue guys. If someone wants to spend the hours to do that to their car for 4lbs, why do we care?

If the rule keeps being unenforced  I assure you I will make something that you will care about.   Duct tape front wings here we come! 

• Thanks 1

The body of a 66 Chevelle with the floorpans and firewalls cut out and no hood, but glass and doors installed, weighs around 760 pounds.

Safe to say there is a lot of weight to be lost if a guy fires up the hole saw and gets a 6 pack of packing tape.

Vette bodies are notoriously heavy as well....

9 minutes ago, LuckyKid said:

If the rule keeps being unenforced  I assure you I will make something that you will care about.   Duct tape front wings here we come! 

Build it.  And what rule is not being enforced? 

Edited by Ronh911
2 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I forget what the theme was exactly, Swiss cheese or something.  Hat was painted yellow before.  It had twin blowers from a supercharged 3800.  It was fairly quick until the blowers failed.

It is a marlin, fyi.  I've raced aga8nst it many times.

Sounds cool as hell. Will have to see if I can find underhood pics.

6 minutes ago, LuckyKid said:

That's how rules are born when a series isn't proactive.

I kinda like Enginenerd's "Hey donkey-hole, you don't need 10 feet of gas filler tube so fix it or go EC." when it comes to spirit of the rules but that doesn't always work well versus spelled out.

16 minutes ago, LuckyKid said:

But that would be an aerodynamic device and cost 10pts.  So you already  can’t do that.  

This would only affect the very outer skin. You could still Swiss cheese anything else on the car.  Sorry but all this will do is cause poop and complicate the rule book needlessly.  

Edited by petawawarace
1 minute ago, petawawarace said:

But that would be an aerodynamic device and cost 10pts.  So you already  can’t do that.  

This would only affect the very outer skin. You could still Swiss cheese anything else on the car.  Sorry but all this will do is cause poop and complicate the rule book needlessly.  

And front wings aren’t allowed anyway.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, petawawarace said:

I can make a wing out of repurposed material and its zero points.  If tape is free to use in any way, then the wing would also be zero points if made of duct tape.

Don't get me wrong, the rule currently makes it illegal to use tape in ways that its being used by some teams, I just wanted to reinforce this in the rule to reel it in.    I also just submitted a tech-desk ticket to get a clarification here.

At Road America we lost part of our dovetail after a contact.  We removed the panel and tapped the few scraps for day two, hopefully it would be considered a repair due to the recency of the event.   Rather than keep it like that, we bought new door cards and are making a new panel, because it would be illegal to keep it that way with nearly an entire panel as made of tape.