I have to take the race car out to a cage shop for some work and dyno in the upcoming month. Dreading the process:

drive 70 minutes to get the tow rig

drive 90 minutes back 

load car

drive to dyno shop (50 mins)

unload car

drive rig back (50 minutes)

drive car back home (70 minutes)

and then repeat in a week. 

If I could “legally” drive the car on the street it would save some serious time and gas money. Not worried about small violations like illegal exhaust, just worried about potentially big problem items like unregistered vehicle... liability uninsured vehicle. 
So what is the easiest way to get a plate on a 1988 car and get 1 month liability insurance? 

• Technical Advisory Committee

Thats gonna be a state level question.

In NC cars 30+ yr old dont need inspections.  My car has had a plate since it turned 30 and I just carry liability insurance on it.  Costs like $200/yr but lets me run it around for testing without worrying about insurance issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

State level.

Florida has no inspection, police weed out the gross offenders, all I did was call up my insurance company and then walk into the tag office.

No turn signals/back up lights/horn are technically my only obvious violations, I’m sure an officer with nothing to do, in a bad mood, would find a problem with the seatbelts, removable steering wheel and possibly Lexan windshield.

Driving it on the street for 5+ years I’ve been pulled over four times, three of those were probably related to speeding, the other was a smart ass cop that decided to pull me over before I got in the car.

So far no citations!

• Thanks 1

Like others have said it's going to vary based on state.  My state (Oregon) allows "SP" plates for race cars or show cars.  They're way cheaper than normal registration & plates ($25) and never expire.  There's limitations like 90 mile radius from where the car is kept to the race track, and 30 mile radius for "testing". My work is 30 miles from home, so when the weather's good I "test" it to work a couple times a week. Drove it to a track day and back home last year.  Liability insurance through progressive (cheapest available) was $92/6 months.  I'd check with your state law and see if there's a similar program available.  Would be a pain if you have to do regular registration with the costs/inspections/rules that might come with it. 

• Thanks 1

You need more friends with trucks who live near by.

On a more serious response, rent the truck from uhaul/Home Depot for the tow?

Look to see how all the street-rods get on the road.  What ever they do, you probably can too.  Many of them are weird builds of odd parts that only get driven small amounts and therefore skip some of the more formal inspection requirements.  You'll still need to deal with insurance, but that can usually get worked out since you're only after liability and for a short duration.

A 50 minute drive in the racecar is going to seem like an eternity.  I used to drive one of my SCCA cars to the track and was usually about sick of it by the end of the driveway.

here in Md if the car is over 20 years you can tag it as Historic with no inspection. You do have to have insurance. Of course you will pay for title, tax and tags. Most likely cost you about $200. We tag our car as Historic so we can test and tune. If you only want 1 month, you simply cancel the insurance, but remember to turn the tags back in. Honestly insurance isn't much and if you need to test the car you can. 

• Like 1
On 2/27/2021 at 8:11 PM, MMiskoe said:

On a more serious response, rent the truck from uhaul/Home Depot for the tow?

If the truck is at his house, and the trailer/"tow rig" is elsewhere, this is what I would do. 

I have a 24' enclosed and have actually rented a Uhaul for a day just because it was quicker and more convenient than unloading and loading my own trailer. And they're cheap for a day.

• Like 1

@enginerd

Didn't you already do this for a few years? I drove that car on the street many times, I thought it had antique plates on it too. Didn't you drive it from your house to blackhawk farms? I drove it from Skokie to Evanston once too IIRC, the fuel pump died and I coasted to a stop right in front of the police. 

4 minutes ago, Andrew D Johnson said:

@enginerd

Didn't you already do this for a few years? I drove that car on the street many times, I thought it had antique plates on it too. Didn't you drive it from your house to blackhawk farms? I drove it from Skokie to Evanston once too IIRC, the fuel pump died and I coasted to a stop right in front of the police. 

For a year or two it was registered and insured but it was a regular Illinois vehicle registration which is currently $155 / year renewal so I’m looking for something else. Should be in the ‘antique’ category now or some other special class which would be cheaper. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, enginerd said:

For a year or two it was registered and insured but it was a regular Illinois vehicle registration which is currently $155 / year renewal so I’m looking for something else. Should be in the ‘antique’ category now or some other special class which would be cheaper. 

Antique Vehicle License Plates are issued for a five year registration period expiring Dec. 31, 2024. To qualify for Antique Plates, motor vehicles, including motorcycles, must be more than 25 years old. Firefighting vehicles must be at least 20 years old.

Vehicles displaying these plates may only be driven to and from an antique auto show or exhibition, service station or demonstration. The mechanical and physical condition of the vehicle, including brakes, lights, glass and appearance, must be the same or as safe as originally equipped. An antique vehicle may be a "bona fide replica" - an exact copy of the original in design, frame and mechanical operation. "Facsimiles" - close, but not exact, reproductions of the original - do not qualify for Antique Vehicle plates.

Fees

Random-Number Antique License Plates - Dec. 31, 2020 expiration

2 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

AAA won't tow an un-registered, un-licensed car. If you have AAA it doesn't have to be your car,  but it has to be legal. 

It is true that this is their policy, however the people that enforce the policy are the tow truck drivers that show up to tow your car (who just want to get paid).

I have used AAA 10+ times to tow unregistered/ unlicensed cars back from craigslist deals.  Take a tag off your street car, put it on the one to be towed. Call them, they ask if its tagged (say yes).  Tow driver sees the plate but doesn't really care if its legal.

I think the only catch to this is if you are towing to and from the same addresses multiple times a year, some questions might pop up from that.

• Like 2