17 hours ago, Chris Huggins said:

i know for a fact that the intent of this rule was NOT to keep a torque converter automatic from using buttons to change gear, especially if the request is just to move the buttons from the paddle in the center console to paddles on the steering column.

The intent was to stop the $$$ conversion of clutched manuals with h-patterns to sequential shift in a non-h-pattern manner.

As stated above, that's kinda what I figured. Since shifters are not commented on anywhere else in the rules, while this is in the free section, the wording "not permitted" is troubling and confusing.

Instead of waiting til next year, wouldn't it be possible for the BoD to clarify with tech so there is no confusion for this year?

Just wondering how this would be different from say moving your column shift auto to the floor?  seems like it is a matter of preference, not sure there is a performance gain. (using a stock AUTO trans that is) Now if your car never came with that then you should take a points 25 for the trans and whatever the aftermarket shift points hit would be. I mean is that really any bigger than going with a full manual valve body?