Looking to drive for a team and get some experience in racing cars

Looking for a team that needs a driver. I've never driven in a ChampCar event before, but I have experience in karting and I like to think I'm pretty damn good behind the steering wheel of a car; my daily driver (2012 Honda CRZ) isn't anything crazy but it's got some zip to it.

Tips and info are very appreciated, feel free to tell me anything that I might need to know in regards to starting out. Looking to start a career in road racing, but I will take any opportunity to get some experience behind the wheel. DM me, or email me at josephfarrell54@gmail.com for any questions or inquires.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome Joseph!

If you have not already, I believe your best bet is to start by doing HPDE events.  Do quite a few of those and get comfortable at those speeds, passing, watching flagstands, and safely navigating your car around a race track. Once you have some HPDE experience, you are a lot more likely to find a team that will feel comfortable putting you in their car.  When doing these HPDEs, set up a gopro if possible.  Some video of you driving goes a long way to ease the mind of a team owner.

In the meantime you can assist a team with pitcrew/wrenching , or volunteer with champcar at an event. Both are lots of fun and gains you valuable knowledge of the series and allows you to network with other teams/drivers to get you closer to your goal of getting behind the wheel in a champcar race.

Getting a sim rig and practicing on iracing or some other racing sim helps as well. Most teams will not accept this as "experience", but it can help you learn the tracks, passing/clean driving, and is a lot of fun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Feral said:

Looking for a team that needs a driver. I've never driven in a ChampCar event before, but I have experience in karting and I like to think I'm pretty damn good behind the steering wheel of a car; my daily driver (2012 Honda CRZ) isn't anything crazy but it's got some zip to it.

Tips and info are very appreciated, feel free to tell me anything that I might need to know in regards to starting out. Looking to start a career in road racing, but I will take any opportunity to get some experience behind the wheel. DM me, or email me at josephfarrell54@gmail.com for any questions or inquires.

Thanks in advance!

Where are you based?  I'm having some trouble on my phone, so I apologize if it's noted somewhere and I missed it.

It is always a good idea to show up to a race and talk to as many people as you can.

It is also a good idea to get with a team and help them prep the car.  This can be the easiest way to earn a ride while having limited driving experience.

Great advice already above- I instruct with a few HPDE clubs at VIR and its pretty common for new drivers to show up brimming with self assurance in their driving talents and realize quickly that there's a lot more they can learn.  (I did the same thing when I started!)

I've had a rare couple of students and racing teammates that really were great drivers from the start and they all had sim racing experience.  

You should try a few HPDEs before jumping into wheel to wheel racing.  You can flush brake fluid and put some fresh tires / brake pads on your street car and get started asap.  You don't need HP adders or coil overs or whatever else to make the car faster.  Just focus on yourself and learning the basics of track etiquette.  Look at motorsportsreg.com to find events nearby.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Where are you based?  I'm having some trouble on my phone, so I apologize if it's noted somewhere and I missed it.

It is always a good idea to show up to a race and talk to as many people as you can.

It is also a good idea to get with a team and help them prep the car.  This can be the easiest way to earn a ride while having limited driving experience.

He's in CT.

I'm sure we could find atleast a crew position at Pittrace. wouldn't be too far to drive.

Edited by Fitsbain

Sorry for the late reply, didn't have the chance to check the forum until just now.

As for my racing experience, I have some experience in wheel to wheel racing. For a while I karted at On Track in Wallingford, CT. Nothing crazy, but I learned track etiquette and gained insight into the mindset required to race responsibly. I've also had some experience in racing sims. Assetto Corsa, Project Cars 2, and Forza Motorsport are the ones that I used. Had to stop though because my wheel's force feedback stopped working and I never ended up getting better quality peripherals for virtual racing. I've also participated in a racing course and had the opportunity to drive a SK modified in Stafford Springs, CT.

I've never participated in any sort of racing league before, mostly because I wasn't aware of how to get started. I actually plan on attending an event (SodiWSeries) at the Karting place I mentioned before, so I can share the results of that afterwards if anyone is interested.

In terms of mechanical experience, I have a basic understanding of how cars function, but I wouldn't be confident in my ability to work on a car. I could possibly learn eventually though. I do have plenty of experience with computers as I work in the IT field, so I might possibly be useful in regards to car computer systems; but I would have to learn that also.

I plan to eventually take my CRZ to a HDPE event once I save up the funds for it. I already feel confident when it comes to driving at high speeds in close proximity to other cars, but I do realize there are possibly things that I am not aware of when it comes to actually racing in a car.

Edited by Feral
  • Like 1

On the topic of funds, safety gear is ~$500 to start. And a race weekend to rent a seat from a team is anywhere from $750-1500 for two 2hr stints on a car that may/not run the whole weekend. 

results can vary widely! 

As a car owner, a race weekend costs the team 3-5k depending on the race. We are a top 20 team. 

Edited by MichaelPal
  • Like 1

When you do get in a car, take most of what you learned in the kart and try to forget it.  I've raced both and it is a huge mental switch to make.  I've also watched my kids who can wax me 6 ways from Sunday in the karts struggle in the cars that we share.  One of the kids commented that the karts are more physical but the cars are more mentally demanding.