If we are going to be using purple 35 it needs to be enforced!  With less than 3 hours to go, our team was chipping away at the lead. All to be lost when the purple 35 came out.  We got "stuck" behind a car that was actually going 35.  The leader and a bunch others were able to make up about a minute under this caution period.  I don't fault the teams that catch up. We have done it too. This needs to be enforced!!  I took a screen shot of a lap under purple 35.  We had been under caution for 2 laps already so the Last Lap times show the difference.

purple 35.PNG

• Like 3

• Technical Advisory Committee

I know the feeling.  I got stuck behind an EC car at barber going 35, and lost almost a full lap to the next car.  I was steaming from the ears, texting the race director (who gracefully ignored me), yelling in my pit stall, etc.

The next P35 about 5 minutes later, the reverse happened.

The yellows and P35s are random and go both ways.  Racing can be random and theres not much anyone can do to avoid the "x" factor.

In addition, flagtronics.

• Like 1

It's not that hard to calculate a delta lap time at 35 mph, add some wiggle room say 10% and black flag any team with a lap time under that. Timing and scoring could have someone assigned to monitor this during a Purple 35. I know it's not fool proof but it might help catch some offenders. Also, at one our VIR races a radar gun was deployed for enforcement. 

PS: Smokey and Mark Donahue are my heroes, so I understand we are all looking for that "unfair advantage". That's why we have officials to keep us in check.

• Like 4

I fully understand being steamed when another team gets away with not following the rules, and I expect many competitors will push the limits as far as they can until they're caught.

That said, I have a huge problem when a BOD member is flippant about getting away with breaking the rules.  I expect better.  They should be setting the standard.

• Confused 1

Disclosure: Haven’t raced at a “purple 35 event”.

I think one issue is that the rule for purple 35, when posted by Bill Strong, has always been “maintain 35 MPH, maintain interval to car ahead” (or something very similar to that).

Well what if the car ahead is doing 50? You can’t both maintain 35 and maintain interval to a car doing 50. The rule may need changing to: “maintain 35 mph”.

Edited by enginerd

What if you have no idea how fast 35 is?

I know I could do the math and tell everyone in my car the gear and speed that should be 35.  However, I think some common sense and following the car in front should be acceptable as well.

12 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I know I could do the math and tell everyone in my car the gear and speed that should be 35.  However, I think some common sense and following the car in front should be acceptable as well.

I installed a GPS speedometer from eBay... $19 

tested it in a street car to within 5% of displayed speed but takes 2 seconds to react to speed changes. 

10 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

math is common sense...  or is it too hard?   you've got 2 weeks before NCM to do the math... I have faith you can do it by then.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ben 595 said:

math is common sense...  or is it too hard?   you've got 2 weeks before NCM to do the math... I have faith you can do it by then.

Don't need to.  Only 2 tracks that do this...

8 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Don't need to.  Only 2 tracks that do this...

Read Bill's notes on the NCM event page. 

twice he clarifies that it will be used at that event. 

So... if your Mazda is going... do the math.

Eh.  I really think this is being overblown.

P.s. I am a fan of the 35 flag.

It's pretty obvious when somebody is abusing it.

I like the idea of a minimum lap time.

I just do t think it's that big of a deal and most are doing it acceptably.

12 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I just don't think it's that big of a deal and most are doing it acceptably.

Seems like everyone discussing actual racing in this topic either was abusing or would have abused this rule if the car immediately in front wasn't already complying.  So no, it does not sound like most are doing it acceptably.

• Like 1

We’ve raced at a couple races with the purple 35 and it’s always astounding how bad the rules are being followed. I’ve had times where the car in front pulls 60-70 on the straights during this, losing 2 minutes to teams in front when we were in the top 5, and being completely alone going 35 and by the end of 3 laps you have a train of 20 cars behind. 

If there is no enforcement of the rule, the rule is useless. It only takes 1 car to go faster than 35 for the whole group to abuse the rule and since nobody gets black flags, it happens over and over. Super simple for the race director to say, purple 35 lap time must be at least XXX or you will get a black flag. 

• Like 8

• Technical Advisory Committee
On 3/12/2021 at 11:58 AM, cowboys647 said:

We’ve raced at a couple races with the purple 35 and it’s always astounding how bad the rules are being followed. I’ve had times where the car in front pulls 60-70 on the straights during this, losing 2 minutes to teams in front when we were in the top 5, and being completely alone going 35 and by the end of 3 laps you have a train of 20 cars behind. 

If there is no enforcement of the rule, the rule is useless. It only takes 1 car to go faster than 35 for the whole group to abuse the rule and since nobody gets black flags, it happens over and over. Super simple for the race director to say, purple 35 lap time must be at least XXX or you will get a black flag. 

Really???  You lost a full 2 minutes by someone going "60-70 on the straight" while you were "going 35"?  What was your fastest lap times at that track?  Did he pass you under this condition?

Chris E.