Cheap Oil Coolers: Tell me I'm dumb

Jamesleec

Hey all, as champcar is a budget based series I am looking for ways to increase the longevity of my car without the cost of a name brand oil cooler.

Has anyone run an eBay oil cooler before? ~40 dollars seems too good to be true imho.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Row-AN10-Universal-Aluminum-Transmission-Racing-Engine-Oil-Cooler-Silver/274556232500?epid=897193656&hash=item3fecd3a334:g:LLEAAOSwy1Ndu~AO

I’m not sure that’s a place I would cheap out on.  A rad I think is ok as you can catch it if it fails. An oil cooler failing could likely be a blown motor or a car on fire.  

Circle track guys sell brand names ones used gently for great prices. I would much rather go that route.  

Edited by petawawarace

37 minutes ago, shanehutton said:

Keep in mind that unless it’s a tube and fin style, you will never be able to confidentially clean a blown engine out of a cooler.  Beware of used ones and if there is metal in your oil you may want to toss yours. 

Always use a filter before the cooler.  

8 hours ago, shanehutton said:

Keep in mind that unless it’s a tube and fin style, you will never be able to confidentially clean a blown engine out of a cooler.  Beware of used ones and if there is metal in your oil you may want to toss yours. 

We learned this the hard way a few years ago. Any metal in the engine, throw away cooler and go buy buy another. Luckily we are close to Nascar country and a high quality oil cooler can be had for like $50-60. We've tried the ebay cooler as well, the cooler seemed OK but the included fittings and lines were junk, the always leaked until we spent the money on quality fittings.

• Like 2

Look at Hayden oil coolers. (not that I'm partial, I work for SMP Corp.)  Excellent quality without paying for a "racing brand name".  The company has never marketed to racers, does a lot of HD truck / off road business, and sells a lot via "private label" to groups and some performance warehouses.  They also offer excellent cooling fans/controls.

https://www.haydenauto.com/en

• Like 3

Good info on reusing them above.  I would have never thought of that, will try to remember than one.

I rolled my own oil cooler for my street/track day car a couple years ago.  Sourced most all of it from ebay/amazon.  No issues at all, so far.  I think I spent $250ish on everything, and that's only because I went name brand (Mishmoto) on the thermostatic oil sandwich plate.  No need for that in a race car. 

I regularly see kits from $500-$750 for my car.  Wouldn't be the first time I regret being frugral if anything goes wrong, but so far, so good.

2 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

these actually work pretty well, especially if you have a remote oil filter kit that uses the BIg FL1A filter. 

See the source image

I had considered these but wondered if someone would cry foul and try to charge some points for the finned cover.

• Technical Advisory Committee
3 hours ago, craig71188 said:

Look at Hayden oil coolers. (not that I'm partial, I work for SMP Corp.)  Excellent quality without paying for a "racing brand name".  The company has never marketed to racers, does a lot of HD truck / off road business, and sells a lot via "private label" to groups and some performance warehouses.  They also offer excellent cooling fans/controls.

https://www.haydenauto.com/en

We've run a couple of different Hayden coolers in our racecars. Have never had issues with them. I recalled the name as a good OEM and aftermarket supplier from my days wrenching. Great assortment of sizes, can be equipped with barb or -an type fittings. They also have a nice chart on their website that shows BTU /Cooling capabilities and physical sizes for their coolers. Mounting solutions are unique and simple too.

edit: added catalog link, ck out pg 338 for chart

https://www.haydenauto.com/media/5586/imperial_transmission-oil-cooler-pages.pdf

Edited by mcoppola

21 minutes ago, 67Mustang said:

I had considered these but wondered if someone would cry foul and try to charge some points for the finned cover.

ask.. or just leave it on your stock filter....who's going to see it? FWIW we used to run a big cooler on the 305 with a remote system.  The new 305 got a larger oil pan w/ baffles (only 25 points now THANK YOU). We run an extra long filter in the stock location, no problems. 

• Technical Advisory Committee
16 hours ago, Jamesleec said:

Hey all, as champcar is a budget based series I am looking for ways to increase the longevity of my car without the cost of a name brand oil cooler.

Has anyone run an eBay oil cooler before? ~40 dollars seems too good to be true imho.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Row-AN10-Universal-Aluminum-Transmission-Racing-Engine-Oil-Cooler-Silver/274556232500?epid=897193656&hash=item3fecd3a334:g:LLEAAOSwy1Ndu~AO

Yea, I have run these for years. I only had one crack and that was because it had been bent with a pipe wrench to get a better angle for the hose. I think the car still finished 3rd with oil spraying on the windshield. 

Just saying, the 13row Setrab in my car runs $170 with the adapter fittings.  Thats less than the cost of 1 tire.

https://www.amazon.com/Setrab-ProLine-Engine-Oil-Cooler-Ports/dp/B0011FNKLE

But, the above $30 kit highlights the ridiculousness of the oil cooler penalties in relation to other "upgrades" in Champcar.  Just saying (yes I dragged that bloody horse out once again to give it a good whack).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Andrew D Johnson said:

This is what's in my car right now:
image.png.ba6385c313f7c866ed703b282919b03c.png

Thanks for the info, I'll give them a shot. Would rather burn 25 points on a full cooler than a finned cover.

Now the real question is do I go for the blue one for 2 dollars more.....

Edited by Jamesleec
Forgot Information

1 hour ago, BollingerChump said:

...I wonder what in Amazon's software made it think anything there would/should come in an 80 pack...

One guy in the pits selling spares when these eventually blow LMAO

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

ask.. or just leave it on your stock filter....who's going to see it? FWIW we used to run a big cooler on the 305 with a remote system.  The new 305 got a larger oil pan w/ baffles (only 25 points now THANK YOU). We run an extra long filter in the stock location, no problems. 

My new (old) pan showed up the other day.... 9 qts now  :) plus a filter or two... plus maybe an oil cooler...  Should be dandy

Canton 15-630.jpg

Cantonbottom.jpg

Cantonvsstock4 (2).jpg

• Like 4