Digital Log Book

When the new Digital Log Book becomes implemented will all ChampCar Members be able to view the log books of other teams?

I'm thinking that they should be available to view for transparency reasons. Also if you feel you need to file a protest you should be able to have the information you need before the 15  minutes of Impound. 

Thoughts?

• Like 2

• Administrators

At Harris Hill we failed to do this. It was missed on our end of race checklist. Sorry about that.
After discussing this issue with the race directors, from now on, our race registration people will print the podium teams tech forms and place them on the windows for review like we have done with the log books. 

As always, the event team total points list will also be printed and posted in registration after the race starts.

28 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

At Harris Hill we failed to do this. It was missed on our end of race checklist. Sorry about that.
After discussing this issue with the race directors, from now on, our race registration people will print the podium teams tech forms and place them on the windows for review like we have done with the log books. 

As always, the event team total points list will also be printed and posted in registration after the race starts.

Bill do you ever think that the digital log books will be available for other teams to view online? I think this is an important part of this. I'm always wondering what could go wrong in this case printing log books for impound.  The printer won't work. the internet is down, we're out of ink, the dog ate the printing paper............There is little time to file a protest in impound so if another team sees an issue with a log book they can be prepared in advance.  

• Administrators

As of now, there will not be open log books. The board could change that in the future. but not for at least the next year of two.
And there are no petitions for 2022 that would override that procedure. 
I do understand what you are trying to accomplish. 
Internet: multiple access points and cell redundancy at all tracks. we have enough experience to know what works and what doesn't for connectivity.
Printing: This may have been an issue in the past. But we have redundant backups to include local track supplied printers.
Paper: We have reams of paper.
Dogs. Not allowed at most events.

If you feel that all cars tech sheets should be open to all teams, then email info@champcar.org

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

As of now, there will not be open log books. The board could change that in the future. but not for at least the next year of two.
And there are no petitions for 2022 that would override that procedure. 
I do understand what you are trying to accomplish. 
Internet: multiple access points and cell redundancy at all tracks. we have enough experience to know what works and what doesn't for connectivity.
Printing: This may have been an issue in the past. But we have redundant backups to include local track supplied printers.
Paper: We have reams of paper.
Dogs. Not allowed at most events.

If you feel that all cars tech sheets should be open to all teams, then email info@champcar.org

OK Thanks Bill. I filed a petition. 

• Like 1

I remember from a board meeting some time ago that digital log books were discussed and we would be moving in that direction. I think it was also said (although I’d have to check for sure) that these logbooks would be public record. If so, we don’t need another petition, the one from years ago just needs to be implemented by the board / tech.

• Like 3

i read somewhere that the digital log book is only available to the team captain 2 weeks before the entered race. So far I have been the only one to fill out the forms for each race because I build the car. is it possible to make the form available to at least one other team member? If not can a copy be downloaded so I can fill it out, print then give it to my captain so he can fill it out properly?.

I already spend way too much of my time fantasizing about car builds and different ways to build a competitive CC,  allowing me to easily scope all the top teams log books would only make this much much worse.

That being said,  Bring it on! I am willing to push off some more house chores / work in the name of "research".

Imagine a week before Daytona and you see that a historical aero team is no longer claiming aero and instead claiming a turbo.... could really spice up my work week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1