Was looking at the entrant list for Watkins Glen when out of nowhere...

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Ben 595 said:

Why not a lifetime ban for the person in the car at Daytona?  (I am a fan of)  Why extend to the others on the team?  (I am not a fan of)

I believe it was the owner of the team who knocked me off the track at Daytona, and he/the team has been complained about excessive contact at multiple previous events (I've only had one encounter with them, so I cannot comment on any other possible happenings).

I'm okay with a lifetime ban of the team and/or driver, or with a set length suspension for the team and/or driver.  My team's experience occurred on July 4th of 2020, so if they are allowed to race at Watkin's Glen, it would appear that anyone who intentionally punts two other cars off track can expect to be suspended for roughly 11 months.  Is that enough?  I don't know - I don't think so, but since Champcar hasn't really told us anything, it's up to us to guess what the consequences were this time, and what they'll be next time.

At least, we'll be guessing what the consequences are for the person who caused the incident.  Obviously the consequences for Dark Cloud Racing and us were damaged cars and lost seat time.  Fortunately no injuries....this time.

Edited by krispykritter

39 minutes ago, Ben 595 said:

Why not a lifetime ban for the person in the car at Daytona?  (I am a fan of)  Why extend to the others on the team?  (I am not a fan of)

I would agree with that. Weren't others on the team accused of some dodgy driving?

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Ben 595 said:

In this particular case, the “team” is one guy and he rents out seats (I am fairly certain of this). Perhaps he has regulars, idk. This car has demonstrated a pattern of crashing and punting and several different events, with multiple contacts over the course of a day. I can assure you that this (temporary) ban was not given based on Daytona (ban for one incident would be extreme, depending on the incident of course), but on an accumulation of incidents, so a team ban is fitting. 

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We do not track individual drivers and he's had a lot of bad renters in the car.  He himself has done a lousy job on track.  The Board voted a lifetime ban, but the Board only advises the CEO on matters like this.  We have a meeting next week and I'll bring it up.  I think the CEO is working on a way out for Connoly but i don't know the specifics.  I'll report back when I know more.  Sorry I didn't see this thread before the weekend.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, Jer said:

We do not track individual drivers and he's had a lot of bad renters in the car.  He himself has done a lousy job on track.  The Board voted a lifetime ban, but the Board only advises the CEO on matters like this.  We have a meeting next week and I'll bring it up.  I think the CEO is working on a way out for Connoly but i don't know the specifics.  I'll report back when I know more.  Sorry I didn't see this thread before the weekend.  

appreciate your transparency on this topic

• Like 2

• Technical Advisory Committee

I can report back with some more information.

The BOD did vote on the ban for MCM (This was before my time, but we discussed it in January via email once I came onboard, and the position had not changed), but the CEO felt that a Champcar "Death Penalty" with no path for reconciliation was too extreme. 

I understand that the CEO and MCM had a lengthy phone conversation and MCM was judged to say the correct things in order to open the door to a return pathway.

MCM is supposed to be working on a publication or presentation (I'm not sure of the specifics), and I'm sure will be on "double secret probation", but as I am told they are going to be back at WGI to race.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, QuaTTro said:

at least it pays well

LOL.  Debating running gain this Fall.  If I do and get re-elected it will definitely be my last term.  

58 minutes ago, Chris Huggins said:

The BOD did vote on the ban for MCM (This was before my time, but we discussed it in January via email once I came onboard, and the position had not changed), but the CEO felt that a Champcar "Death Penalty" with no path for reconciliation was too extreme. 

I understand that the CEO and MCM had a lengthy phone conversation and MCM was judged to say the correct things in order to open the door to a return pathway.

MCM is supposed to be working on a publication or presentation (I'm not sure of the specifics), and I'm sure will be on "double secret probation", but as I am told they are going to be back at WGI to race.

And what exactly does the CEO expect MCM to say, other than the correct things? He was/is a politician.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chris Huggins said:

Well, news is news.  I very much appreciate you getting back to us with information because that matters a lot more than what the information is.

Obviously not what I wanted to hear, but it is what it is.  I hope this time MCM is super duper serious about having some sportsmanship, and hope no one else gets their cars damaged by this same team.  If it does happen again, I hope the CEO is a little more willing to follow the board's recommendation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris Huggins said:

MCM is supposed to be working on a publication or presentation (I'm not sure of the specifics)

I’m picturing like... PowerPoint titled “ChampCar please take me back?”

And is this going to be viewable by membership?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

36 minutes ago, enginerd said:

I’m picturing like... PowerPoint titled “ChampCar please take me back?”

And is this going to be viewable by membership?

Probably going to outline the financial benefits of MCM being in the series and why we're better off with them

• Haha 1

While i can agree that maybe lifetime ban is too much... 11 months is also too little.. plus the fact they should be waitlisted for the returning race not taking away 2 spots from teams that don't have the same history.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

Except.. thats not the same series.  Champcar needs to stop with the 'well this series does this'  but then want to ignore all the other things another series does.  We are our own series, run by the members.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

Call me a prick but I just sent a note to the Board outlining that I haven't seen anything indicating a permanent change in behavior that would lead me to want to see them back in the series again.  It's still a team of renters with more money than brains, and run by a guy who was culprit number one.  I'm just one Board member but I'm still saying no to MCM.  Our series is better off without him and the attitude that has led to at least a half dozen other cars being damaged, some beyond repair.  We are lucky someone wasn't seriously injured (so far).  I never have a problem being outspoken and I probably am again in this case just like the dumb fender flare rule and other times when I've stood alone.  If Dana lets them back in, I hope he knows what he is doing and MCM has given some compelling arguments for real change.  I don't care about his apprenticeship program, money for documentaries or anything else if they go out and wad up other team's cars.   

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Jer said:

Call me a prick but I just sent a note to the Board outlining that I haven't seen anything indicating a permanent change in behavior that would lead me to want to see them back in the series again.  It's still a team of renters with more money than brains, and run by a guy who was culprit number one.  I'm just one Board member but I'm still saying no to MCM.  Our series is better off without him and the attitude that has led to at least a half dozen other cars being damaged, some beyond repair.  We are lucky someone wasn't seriously injured (so far).  I never have a problem being outspoken and I probably am again in this case just like the dumb fender flare rule and other times when I've stood alone.  If Dana lets them back in, I hope he knows what he is doing and MCM has given some compelling arguments for real change.  I don't care about his apprenticeship program, money for documentaries or anything else if they go out and wad up other team's cars.   

and this folks is why i voted Jer for BOD.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

Except.. thats not the same series.  Champcar needs to stop with the 'well this series does this'  but then want to ignore all the other things another series does.  We are our own series, run by the members.

Right. This is an amateur series. And a team that crashes might not be able to afford to build another car. So when a team that seemingly deliberately crashes other cars is in the series, there should be no tolerance and they should be banned. 

Why should the series base its actions on what Trans Am does? That's actually a ridiculous equivalent. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bill Strong said:

I was just showing that there is a precedent as to the time that a team/driver is banned. 

I hear ya, Bill, I really do.  But we warned him and warned him and warned him.  It wasn't like we just up and banned him out of the blue after his Demolition Tour 2019-2020.  I also realize he could likely do a lot for Champcar through media etc, but that is not worth another grass roots team losing their car and being DONE.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, Jer said:

I hear ya, Bill, I really do.  But we warned him and warned him and warned him.  It wasn't like we just up and banned him out of the blue after his Demolition Tour 2019-2020.  I also realize he could likely do a lot for Champcar through media etc, but that is not worth another grass roots team losing their car and being DONE.  

I 100% agree.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

How about he pays for any champ team damaged by his car

Chris floated a suggestion along these lines.  We will see.  And I'm not saying I'm alone in not wanting them back, other Board members feel the same way I think.  Lifetime bans are reserved for the very worst offenders, not given out lightly. MCM is the very worst offender the series has ever seen.  There were other teams banned for various infractions, maybe not permanently but still.  Like the team in Canada that won and decided a burnout down the front straight going the wrong direction was a good idea.  LOL  We almost lost the track due to that little action.  

Edited by Jer

Every car in the series isn't a $3k car, and I can't imagine the owners of a well-developed car would a.) be happy that a team that was banned by the series for a long history of dangerous on-track behavior destroyed their car and b.) the team in question isn't willing to fork over $10-15k PLUS and decides to just leave on their own recognizance

It seems to me that such an arrangement would need to have an enforceable contract between the team and the series. Otherwise, when MCM crashes another car at Daytona or Road America or another track where the consequences can be severe, and that team is looking for substantial compensation for their wrecked Boxster, S2000, NC Miata, C4 Corvette or Mustang Cobra, MCM is just going to walk away. 
So good luck with that.  

• Like 1