Was looking at the entrant list for Watkins Glen when out of nowhere...

• Technical Advisory Committee
Posted (edited)

Many of us apparently have short memories.

MCM went on social media after their first race with ChampCar a few years back and raved about what a piss poor, unprofessional series it was. I recall a lot a flack at the time from both sides.

I don't see why and how we would cater to ANY team that would:

a) post on social media about how bad the series is,

b) Decide to enter races anyway, but continue to display the same lack of respect or caring about any off your fellow racers, their equipment, their safety, nor the time and money spent building a car.

For many of us, yes, we'd be done if we lose our car due to an accident.

People who don't realize and respect the fact that many of us are amateurs that can barely afford this - they don't belong in THIS series, and need to go play somewhere else. 

We are a member owned club. If certain members are ruining it for others, don't we have the power to tell teams that are detrimental to the Club, to leave?

@DuncanDana @Jer @Doc @E. Tyler Pedersen 

Edited by mcoppola
  • Like 16

2 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

How about he pays for any champ team damaged by his car

How about getting a crash deposit from him.  Something substantial $20K. Costs incurred taken out before any money is refunded. Might not cover everything, but it would make them think twice.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

Many of us apparently have short memories.

MCM went on social media after their first race with ChampCar a few years back and raved about what a piss poor, unprofessional series it was. I recall a lot a flack at the time from both sides.

I don't see why and how we would cater to ANY team that would:

a) post on social media about how bad the series is,

b) Decide to enter races anyway, but continue to display the same lack of respect or caring about any off your fellow racers, their equipment, their safety, nor the time and money spent building a car.

For many of us, yes, we'd be done if we lose our car due to an accident.

People who don't realize and respect the fact that many of us are amateurs that can barely afford this - they don't belong in THIS series, and need to go play somewhere else. 

We are a member owned club. If certain members are ruining it for others, don't we have the power to tell teams that are detrimental to the Club, to leave?

@DuncanDana @Jer @Doc @E. Tyler Pedersen 

Chisek put a suit on and threatened to ban anyone who had something negative to say.  How can a team do the same AND cause harm to other drivers or their cars MULTIPLE times and still be allowed here?

If our car is wrecked, I'm fairly certain my team wouldn't be able to pull the money together to have another go at it.  Maybe we aren't the target audience of this series?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Originalsterm said:

Chisek put a suit on and threatened to ban anyone who had something negative to say.  How can a team do the same AND cause harm to other drivers or their cars MULTIPLE times and still be allowed here?

If our car is wrecked, I'm fairly certain my team wouldn't be able to pull the money together to have another go at it.  Maybe we aren't the target audience of this series?

No, you know you are.  That's why we banned MCM in the first place.  

• Like 2

He hit me at Indy in 2019 - Matt himself, and admitted to it. Broke my wheel and bent a control arm.

He also publically defended taking out the contour at daytona with some ludicrous statement like 'I didn't move my steering wheel'

He was met with such extreme disagreement by everyone that he deleted his post (I think it was facebook?)

Letting him back in, so soon, is an atrocious and disgusting move by champcar. I would expect even a 1 year ban to be a fairly light slap on the wrist.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

He also publically defended taking out the contour at daytona with some ludicrous statement like 'I didn't move my steering wheel'

He was met with such extreme disagreement by everyone that he deleted his post (I think it was facebook?)

Letting him back in, so soon, is an atrocious and disgusting move by champcar. I would expect even a 1 year ban to be a fairly light slap on the wrist.

Yeah, you're right. He posted on FB and tried to defend himself and it went south very quickly. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Snorman said:

Yeah, you're right. He posted on FB and tried to defend himself and it went south very quickly. 

He couldn't have even watch his video clip as it showed him go from top to bottom. 

2 minutes ago, 55mini said:

He couldn't have even watch his video clip as it showed him go from top to bottom. 

Was that the final nail, Daytona, or Indy or VIR or somewhere else? Hard to remember all the issues they caused.

Tyler it is just a test of old peoples memory, we know you all are working on it and thank you for that!!!

Speaking of myself on the old people :-), hard to keep it all straight.

• Haha 1

My only suggestion which works well in most cases. MONEY changes everything. Dont go to the race which they enter. When management gets the message that we are not wanting to race with individuals in the club which dont represent the clubs direction or are dangerous to others. I would pull out of any race that Rily or MCM plan on running. These teams just dont fit with the grassroots theme. Money talks. Hit them in the wallet and you will see them listen if it hurts the bottom line. Money decides most of our decisions of life. It's a shame honor and integrity take a back seat. 

• Like 3

I have a hard time believing this guy even genuinely cares about changing, as he already had way more chances than he was worth. If he 'apologized' or said he would change, I'm sure his ego barely allows even a thinly veiled lie.

Thank you for representing our concerns Tyler/Chris

Edited by Slugworks Paul
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 333 Kinkle said:

My only suggestion which works well in most cases. MONEY changes everything. Dont go to the race which they enter. When management gets the message that we are not wanting to race with individuals in the club which dont represent the clubs direction or are dangerous to others. I would pull out of any race that Rily or MCM plan on running. These teams just dont fit with the grassroots theme. Money talks. Hit them in the wallet and you will see them listen if it hurts the bottom line. Money decides most of our decisions of life. It's a shame honor and integrity take a back seat. 

I told Mike I would withdraw my car from any race he entered back after Daytona.  This is still in flux.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would think the BOD & CEO should consider a probationary return to to any non-sell out race and not at one of the premier tracks on the schedule.  "IF" they are to be given a chance, let them do it where they will benefit Champ with their entry fees (not so much at a track that sells out anyway).  "IF" they can behave at some smaller events for "x" number of races, then they can "move up" to the premier events.

Let's put a little more onus on them to prove themselves at several events that may not be as financially lucrative to them.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I don't have much to add to this conversation re: MCM, however, I will always say thanks to folks like @E. Tyler Pedersen @Jer, and @mcoppola for listening to our complaints and pushing them forward.  Glad to have you guys fighting for us.

As mentioned before, I'm curious if anyone else caused the sorts of incidents that MCM did, what the punishment would be?  If I took him out, would my team be back in less than a year?

Had our car been totalled, we would not be racing this year, and likely not in the next couple years at least.  We don't have the funds to build a new car from scratch in the near term, simple as that.  We got lucky.

Edited by krispykritter
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, craig71188 said:

Let's put a little more onus on them to prove themselves at several events that may not be as financially lucrative to them.

To expand on this: at the bare minimum ban him from having rental drivers, which are covering his costs to race. See how much he really cares about the series when he is paying out of pocket to enter and fix his cars. The series is allowing him to not only get off for his behavior, but also profit off damaging other teams.

Edited by 69_sportsroof
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Oh cool, another thread with multiple poop driving moves and crashes by the SAME TEAM.

Maybe if Champcar had taken the #300 crash, and the Neon crash seriously, then maybe us and Dark Cloud Racing wouldn't have been crashed out at Daytona last year.

The more I learn, the more I wonder why they were even in the series in 2020.  And why the Champcar CEO(s) would want them back?

This the last post from that team that had their car totalled - no idea if they've ever returned to racing:

image.png.d96350208204cfe8c25f5b4ee9e93212.png

Appears to be associated with @Bill Strong?

Edited by krispykritter
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

what? 

When I go to the video in the thread I linked in my above post, the video is on the Racing Strong youtube channel.

Maybe just there as a result of you putting a camera in their car for the race?  No idea, just saw it was on your channel.  I guess just hosted on your channel?

Edited by krispykritter

10 hours ago, ShutupJack said:

So i guess we will be adding more bumper structure to the car to prepare for the inevitable carnage?!?!

I'd feel so much better if chumpcar could explain their logic on this one...

You're far off base

• Sad 1