Bill Strong

19 hours ago, Ron_e said:

All good Jer except the $100k builds.

Must have been Randy Pobst's team...

Did they mention a car number or team?

Edit: forgot the green font!

Edited by mender

1 hour ago, Ron_e said:

SD always has been for cars that don't comply.  It is also for cars deemed to fast for the series, real time, during the race - I have seen several cars moved from A class to SD during the race.  Initially a classed car but then when lap times are reviewed a change of class just like you received.

New rules for 2021.

Wow this post blew up!!... thanks Jaime! 
the reason most all of us are here is to have fun.  About 99 % of us racers go to work and have real jobs.  So for my team it’s about the whole race weekend experience. From showing up Friday seeing familiar faces and catching up with fellow racers to helping each other out on race day.  Then bench racing in the evening at the track over a beer.  Next morning day 2 and it’s another fun competitive race.  I’ve learned thru the now 12 years from racing in both series that some teams lose the focus of the fun factor.   Both series are non paying series so nobody’s getting prize money from winning races at either series.  And bottom line is that my team has a better experience at lucky dog events.  And yes I’ll say it.  My wife enjoys the vibe that Kathy brings too.  Sooo happy wife happy life ? Right ? 
Rumor has it a west coast champ car  board member has entered in the lucky event at willow.  Hopefully he takes note..

Edited by Petrolholic racing
  • Like 2

why are we even talking about other series in this thread?  Let's stay on topic here and stay positive about this particular event.  If you want to compare different series then use the Champcar Uncensored FB group

17 hours ago, mender said:

Must  have been Randy Pobst's team...

Did they mention a car number or team?

The Happy Moose is not a $100k build.  Randy doesn't haul his car out west for LD races, he just hops in any car that wants his advice.  Cool story about Randy and how much he loves racing:

I told my team he was showing up for the Utah race.  Just as we were arriving on the turn-off road to the entrance there was a guy who had hopped out of his mini-van to take a picture of the entrance sign.  I said I was pretty sure it was Randy, everybody else said no way Randy had probably been here hundreds of times, it is probably just some dude at his very first race.  We pulled in to the line to get in and the mini-van pulls along side, down comes the window and out pops an arm with a Rolex on it, "Hey guys are you here for the race?", "We sure are Randy, great to see you out...".

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Ron_e said:

All good Jer except the $100k builds.  I disagree with that and your other comment a while back that many in LD were up in arms with the series tire - I believe both are incorrect statements.  I have not seen any discontent with the RS-4.  The series intent is to stay for the amateur and not the big dollar builds.  If you come with a GBU build and blow everyone out of the water you are racing yourself in SD class no matter how respectful you are on track or how you initially qualified (sandbagged).

Not trying to promote anything but the truth, I wish Champ continued success as well.

I'm just reporting what I heard from competitors in the LAST LD race.  I don't have any problem with their series, they've done a good job out west.  It seems like there niches for all racers now which is great.  

20 hours ago, Ron_e said:

The Happy Moose is not a $100k build.  Randy doesn't haul his car out west for LD races, he just hops in any car that wants his advice.  Cool story about Randy and how much he loves racing:

yep. Randy is very cool. It's not crazy to see him arm deep into a cars engine bay helping a team sort some stuff out. 
He is an avid Opel GT fan. So most likely will be driving for me at Sebring too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

He is an avid Opel GT fan. So most likely will be driving for me at Sebring too.

Cool! Not much love of the Opel GT. Funny enough, as soon as I finish the race car, my next project is an Opel GT. My father was the original owner and the car has sat in a garage (and outside a bit) in CA for close to 40 years. Straight body, no/minimal rust. He passed away recently and we are going to secretly fix it up to give to my mother on what would have been their 50th anniversary. 

Now to be on topic for this event, this would be a nice event to break in the car if it was finished. I am half considering to put out an offer that if anyone joins in and helps get our BMW finished in time for this race then they get nearly free/super low cost seat time in the car. Shoot, if someone can actually weld our cage properly might add in an extra race or two.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2021 at 3:54 PM, Jer said:

A friend of mine raced in LD last weekend and said it's quickly becoming another AER, bracket racing with 100K builds entering the fray.  I hope it stays fun for you west coast racers.  

A comment from the LDRL forum:

"I have no idea what car they are talking about. There were some E46 cars there that were crazy fast. Maybe if you bought a low mileage M3 and had a shop do every penny of work you might get up to $50K into them.  But who cares?  If they want to waste that much money it's their prerogative."

6 hours ago, mender said:

A comment from the LDRL forum:

"I have no idea what car they are talking about. There were some E46 cars there that were crazy fast. Maybe if you bought a low mileage M3 and had a shop do every penny of work you might get up to $50K into them.  But who cares?  If they want to waste that much money it's their prerogative."

You sure are passionate about LD.  Why post here about them again and again?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Jer said:

Because that's his thing. 

It's the Internet way.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jer said:

Actually, I'm passionate about truth. And if I may be blunt, your friend doesn't seem to be.

As I tell my kids, "If I've told you once I've told you a million times: don't exaggerate."

1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

Because that's his thing. 

It's the Internet way.

Judging people and putting a label on them to justify that judgement also seems to be an internet thing, Bill...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mender said:

Why are you posting second-hand opinions about another series? 

When is the last time you raced with Champcar?  How many races/year do you race with LD?

I post because someone else brought them up and that is what I heard from someone who races 5-6 times a year with LD.  He doesn't lie.  But he has opinions like everyone else.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jer said:

When is the last time you raced with Champcar?  How many races/year do you race with LD?

I post because someone else brought them up and that is what I heard from someone who races 5-6 times a year with LD.  He doesn't lie.  But he has opinions like everyone else.  

We usually race 2-3 times a year as we can afford it, with whoever is providing the best opportunity. 

I raced with Champcar for about four years, when they had races out here. If they ever do again, at a track and a price that interests me, I'll race with them again. It wasn't me who pulled the plug.

When was the last time you raced with LD? How many races/year do you race with LD?

Your friend's opinions don't seem to have much to do with facts. Maybe you should ask him for a few more specifics before quoting him. 

1 minute ago, mender said:

We usually race 2-3 times a year as we can afford it, with whoever is providing the best opportunity. 

I raced with Champcar for about four years, when they had races out here. If they ever do again, at a track and a price that interests me, I'll race with them again. It wasn't me who pulled the plug.

When was the last time you raced with LD? How many races/year do you race with LD?

Your friend's opinions don't seem to have much to do with facts. Maybe you should ask him for a few more specifics before quoting him. 

We have raced at 5 different west coast tracks in the last three years.  None of those interest you?  LOL.  You sure post a lot on our board for a guy who never races with us.  

1 minute ago, Jer said:

We have raced at 5 different west coast tracks in the last three years.  None of those interest you?  LOL.  You sure post a lot on our board for a guy who never races with us.  

Tracks that are two days haul one way are out of our cost range.

What, Champcar can't get a field of cars together in the PNW these days? I keep hoping (and posting) that someday that won't be true.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mender said:

Tracks that are two days haul one way are out of our cost range.

What, Champcar can't get a field of cars together in the PNW these days? I keep hoping (and posting) that someday that won't be true.

NOPE.  We have tried numerous times.  We only get dates no one wants.  So why bother going back now?  

Back to the thread-we will not cancel Willow.  If I still owned a car I would tow out.  I hope the racers have a great time.  

• Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee
53 minutes ago, mender said:

Worth repeating ^^^
West coast means Calgary is right next door to Willow Springs - just like guys from 

New England area frequent the Sebring and Daytona races.  Got it.  

• Like 1

On 4/26/2021 at 2:54 PM, Jer said:

Actually counts have been up or strong this year except for Charlotte, which fell right after the National Championship AND Daytona this year.  As an org we are in good shape.  Just doesn't work out west, and that's ok.  If Condron had been more decent to Kathy and Joey, WRL and LD wouldn't exist but it is what it is.  A friend of mine raced in LD last weekend and said it's quickly becoming another AER, bracket racing with 100K builds entering the fray.  I hope it stays fun for you west coast racers.  

Warning going to troll you a bit: Interesting that Charlotte is the only East coast race Lucky has and that Champcars numbers are low their. 

Don't jump to react to that I dont believe thats the real reason. I just want Champcar to work in the west again and I think for that to happen a major change need to happen. As a Native Michiganer I know how much you all hate hearing it but most trends start out here. Lemon's and Lucky are doing just fine out here. I am scared this is a warning sign for the whole series. I think we are trending towards SCCA where the rules so restrictive that it impacts the series car count (another series that doesn't do well in the west coast and is started to hurt in the east)

On 4/26/2021 at 8:32 PM, QuaTTro said:

why are we even talking about other series in this thread?  Let's stay on topic here and stay positive about this particular event.  If you want to compare different series then use the Champcar Uncensored FB group

Because the West Coast races have been failing to get headcount for years. This race is a perfect example. So we are trying to figure out why LD can get 60 more cars at a race then Champ. This isn't a "this series is so much better" this is a "How do I get cars back in the west coast". Don't worry my racing religon is the same as your still. I just have to go to a new church because my old one has no members. 

On 4/26/2021 at 2:54 PM, Jer said:

A friend of mine raced in LD last weekend and said it's quickly becoming another AER, bracket racing with 100K builds entering the fray.  I hope it stays fun for you west coast racers.  

Who cares how much someones build is. This is not a price regulated series and hasn't been for years. Personally I love passing rich teams in @Mopar 4 Life's PT Cruiser and Boxers in Das Idiots Jetta. Plus Champcar has high dollar teams to and we love them. Just because your rich doesn't mean you can't enjoy racing with us. And honestly a lot of the high dollar teams are generious as hell. I had them give a rollers chassis to a team that totaled their car, let us use their trailer with a lift to swap a trans in, offer seats in their car to people who didnt get to drive because their car broke, given away countless parts, sponser the series when it doesn't really benifit them, etc. 

Edited by Jamie
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Because the West Coast races have been failing to get headcount for years. This race is a perfect example. So we are trying to figure out why LD can get 60 more cars at a race then Champ. This isn't a "this series is so much better" this is a "How do I get cars back in the west coast". Don't worry my racing religon is the same as your still I just have to go to a new church because my old one has no members. 

I agree it's a good topic, but start a new thread so this one can focus on the actual race

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Jamie said:

I am scared this is a warning sign for the whole series.

What is?  The lack of support in the west or ???  As noted, we only have one race on the schedule right now that will lose the series money---Willow Springs.  We are putting on the race and hope we can get the car count over 20.  The races that sell out every year are still selling out.  New races added (Hallett, Autobahn and CMP) are all in the 30s and 40s and growing in counts.  They will all be profitable.  Mid-Ohio is also new and is already sold out.  Not at all worried about our financial health, and no one is closer to the numbers than me as the Treasurer.  It's all good.  Tell your friends to register for Willow!!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2