2021 Official - Willow Springs Double 8+7

6 minutes ago, Jer said:

What is?  The lack of support in the west or ???  As noted, we only have one race on the schedule right now that will lose the series money---Willow Springs.  We are putting on the race and hope we can get the car count over 20.  The races that sell out every year are still selling out.  New races added (Hallett, Autobahn and CMP) are all in the 30s and 40s and growing in counts.  They will all be profitable.  Mid-Ohio is also new and is already sold out.  Not at all worried about our financial health, and no one is closer to the numbers than me as the Treasurer.  It's all good.  Tell your friends to register for Willow!!  

I think it’s a sign of west coasters being an odd breed, the series looks strong elsewhere.
@Jamie you know you could move out of California... closer to ChampCar hot spots. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We just finished the LDRL Willow Springs race and ran INDE with them in March; both were great events.  My team completed our car build and moved the car to AZ at about the same time so what was origi

The Happy Moose is not a $100k build.  Randy doesn't haul his car out west for LD races, he just hops in any car that wants his advice.  Cool story about Randy and how much he loves racing:  

What is?  The lack of support in the west or ???  As noted, we only have one race on the schedule right now that will lose the series money---Willow Springs.  We are putting on the race and hope we ca

Posted Images

18 hours ago, enginerd said:

I think it’s a sign of west coasters being an odd breed, the series looks strong elsewhere.

Or that the east coast took the simple concept that was started on the west coast, turned the rules into the bureaucratic and lobbyist nightmare that it seems to like and wonders why the west coast didn't follow.

Just some thoughts. :)

Edited by mender
  • Haha 2
58 minutes ago, mender said:

Or that the east coast took the simple concept that was started on the west coast, turned the rules into the bureaucratic and lobbyist nightmare that it seems to like and wonders why the west coast didn't follow.

Just some thoughts. :)

Exactly, west coast is an odd breed. 

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, enginerd said:

Exactly, west coast is an odd breed. 

Us midwesterners are stuck in the middle.

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to right....

Edited by Bandit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
On 4/29/2021 at 8:34 AM, Jer said:

If I still owned a car I would tow out. 

Which would make the field like 50% non paying board members 🤣

On 4/29/2021 at 11:18 AM, Jer said:

Tell your friends to register for Willow!!  

I have for the last 4 years and they all look at the rule book and realize that their not competitive cars are going to start multiple laps down due the the modifications they made. Local teams even harass me about my tri annual "conversion therapy". 

Edited by Jamie
  • Haha 1

We just finished the LDRL Willow Springs race and ran INDE with them in March; both were great events.  My team completed our car build and moved the car to AZ at about the same time so what was originally begun as a Champcar build ended up being run first in LDRL as the tracks they schedule are conveniently close to us here in Yuma, AZ.  Here are some perspectives from a team/car owner with limited experience compared to most people on this forum, no podium finishes, strong desire to run more races no matter the series.

1.  With LDRL my team felt every bit like we were racing but we felt they classed us wrong our first race; corrected this last weekend.

2.  My team feels like Champcar rules are overly complex although despite this def will run Champcar again if the proximity to track or our schedule can make it happen; we will prob build without too much regard for the Champcar VPI system at this point.

3.  Only reason we aren’t running Willow again in June with Champcar is because of personal scheduling conflicts.

4.  Really not excited about having to flare out more fender to run our first Champcar race with this car.  Absolutely not going to a narrower tire.

5.  That 100k LDRL build may have been a Porsche at INDE that was benched for a long effing time on Sunday that weekend.

6.  We were average 10s ish slower than the LDRL fastest do not exceed pace (1:34) at Willow Springs and we are a mid-pack C class E30. Our fastest lap was just under 1:42.

Edited by AV8Driver
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
On 4/26/2021 at 3:54 PM, Jer said:

A friend of mine raced in LD last weekend and said it's quickly becoming another AER, bracket racing with 100K builds entering the fray. 

A little more information:

"I was in the flight control tower (very cool place to watch the race by the way) when the GT3 went SD for the 3rd time. I think they may have done it a few more times after that too. 
Friday test day at INDE was split. Members got 30min on track then Lucky dog participants got 30min. That went on all day. The GT3 ran with the member group. At the end of the day they stickered the car with all the lucky dog decals. I found out later that the rumor was: Members could race free if they wanted. 
That car was not a luck dog car and never will be again... Till we go back to INDE.  And for what its worth, I loved that place in our $8,000.00 car!"

• Like 2
18 hours ago, mender said:

A little more information:

"I was in the flight control tower (very cool place to watch the race by the way) when the GT3 went SD for the 3rd time. I think they may have done it a few more times after that too. 
Friday test day at INDE was split. Members got 30min on track then Lucky dog participants got 30min. That went on all day. The GT3 ran with the member group. At the end of the day they stickered the car with all the lucky dog decals. I found out later that the rumor was: Members could race free if they wanted. 
That car was not a luck dog car and never will be again... Till we go back to INDE.  And for what its worth, I loved that place in our $8,000.00 car!"

What on earth were they thinking letting in a car like that?  Oh wait, ChampCar did that too, so I guess it is OK then.

• Like 2

And some more, this time from the Ridge race:

"This is the car. Aftermarket paddle shifter, air jacks, Accusump, carbon fiber intake. From the straightaway speed it seemed like about 350 to 400 WHP, so upgraded internals. Built by AR Motorsports in Portland? Or at least they were servicing it. My buddy said he thought it was a "touring" car.
I think this is good for Lucky Dog, the more cool cars the better. The break out time and 24 gallon fuel limit keeps it in check. Hopefully we get back to the 5 minute pit so the fuel limit will hold higher HP cars back on a 2 hour stint. And the Ridge races had rain and a lot of yellows, with dry weather a car like this would have trouble going 2 hours on 24 gal. There were several cars that could do the break out time, and this car broke out at least one time. So nobody running close to the break out had a no fault race or they would have beat them. Our $12K car passed them at least once depending on the driver. This just makes it more interesting for someone building their own car on a budget, nothing wrong with a good challenge to up your game."

174175558_10158588057304930_4217068893585578607_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=WwAwwf7Fc9oAX93Eg2n&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc5-1.fna&tp=7&oh=f3002eb4c97f11925a80732a0f5bc550&oe=60B69616

7 hours ago, Bandit said:

The Cayman got beat by a sub $10k 1987 Mercury Cougar iirc. 🤣

When night fell on the big course at Utah it was neat watching the SoA Mustang pass and put significant time on the 911.  SoA had one of the track instructors in their car while it was obviously an inexperienced person in the 911.