2021 NCM Motorsports Park Grand Prix 8+7 results

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I personally had a lot of fun at NCM.  Thank you Champcar!   This weekend was a perfect example of why I have let my SCCA competition license expire after 20 years.   For a similar

Bulldog Racing NCM 2021 weekend summary:   Thursday - transit day: the rain driving to NCM was no joke (we drove from Maryland).  I'm pretty sure we boogered up our IMSA connector as it wa

Huge shout out to you guys!   We bought a brand new imsa car harness and installed it on Friday.   It no workie!  Crap!      Parts badger (I believe your name is Roy) hel

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

So how do you make them fast? JDM engine, 2000lbs, aero and good driving?

The one miata was an nc.  I believe stock engine.  It was very light and had relatively huge tires.  255 17s.  The driver sat so low in that car that it was tough to see their helmet above the dashboard.

2 hours ago, Ben 595 said:

@frankrehnelt ,

Thank you for posting video to the youtube.  I had no idea what/who happened to preform a perfect pit maneuver on me.  Very minor incident, but I just wanted to know so I hunted your vid down.  Looks like the green e36 driver over estimated his front-end grip and pushed out into me.  The 901 driver did an excellent job avoiding our mess.

Not crying.  Not yelling.  Just glad to see it from another prospective other than my memory.  This was just a racing incident I am happy to have clarity on it.  Thank you, team 901.

20min and 20 seconds into…

Yeah looks like he just washed out the front, hitting you.  sucks.  :(

26 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

The one miata was an nc.  I believe stock engine.  It was very light and had relatively huge tires.  255 17s.  The driver sat so low in that car that it was tough to see their helmet above the dashboard.

FYI...KSR built that car. Perhaps to the owner's specs, but it was built by Kevin. 

Near miss of the weekend-go to 3:21.00.  Almost had to clean out my drawers!  Wasn't sure why the 901 tucked in behind that car, but he did.  

17 minutes ago, Jer said:

Near miss of the weekend-go to 3:21.00.  Almost had to clean out my drawers!  Wasn't sure why the 901 tucked in behind that car, but he did.  

Did the seat come with you when you got out?

*Those brakes may have put you over the db limit. 😂

Just now, Bandit said:

Did the seat come with you when you got out?

*Those brakes may have put you over the db limit. 😂

they were loud but man do they work!!  :)

14 hours ago, turbogrill said:

So how do you make them fast? JDM engine, 2000lbs, aero and good driving?

Basically, yeah.  Ralph has a Haltech on it too.  Other than the NC miata, which seems to have two top notch drivers in as well, and boatloads of grip, it's a very lethal combination at the tighter tracks.  We are using a lot of tires though, cant make a LF RE71R last more than 2 stints.  

• Like 1

At NCM we had nothing for the NC Miata. We got very lucky as the NC Miata had one extra stop on Saturday. If they didn't we would have yet another second place finish. My hats off to those guys for building a great car and great driving. If they don't make any mistakes we will never best them with what we have. 

We did great on fuel at MCM and only had to grab the third gas can for one stop. 

On the RE71s we can generally only get two stints out of the tires. Left sides take a beating. We tried to make the RS4 work but just couldn't get the lap times as compared to the RE71s.  Both Nat And Justin drive the car like its a sprint race. 10/10ths every lap. They beat the living crap out of the car. We did try the Coopers on Sunday for 3 stints and had about the same lap times as the REs but with better wear. Might have made all 4 but it would have been close. Still need to do more testing with the coopers. 

Justin I would rate as a A+ driver (and has the track records and championships to back it up) Nat I would rate as a A- driver and weighs more than a 100 pounds over Justin. Both very capable drivers. I would go out on a limb and say Justin alone is worth 3 seconds a lap. Ask him to drive your car at the next practice he is at to see. He loves to drive. You do have to give him back though. 

The WTF car has a lot of development and testing done to it. It's extremely light. 1925 lbs. Lightness is the biggest factor to the cars performance. last year at Gingerman we ran the JDM engine as we received it off the pallet (attempting to save money). At Gingerman it consumed a quart of oil every 2 hours and ended up blowing out the rear main seal. We then busted it apart and re ringed it and re sealed it. I also found that the cam was one tooth off (explained why we were running so hot). While it was apart we focused on porting. We went through 3 scrap heads messing with port shape on the flow bench and then applied what we learned to the head on the car. The Porting made big gains. We spent a lot of time on the Dyno and on track tweaking the tune to pull everything out of the engine we could. 

We also spent a lot of time testing setup and the rear wing to tune in spring rates, bars, camber, caster, RH, and cross. We even chopped off 8" each side of the wing to balance speed vs downforce. Many combinations tried. 

This car is anything but a bolt on and go project. lots and lots of development and verification. 

The downside now is one of our drivers miss shifted to 8900 RPMs and I think the engine is hurt now. It's not making the best sounds right now. We did brakes over the winter and they are hyper sensitive right now. So I have a lot of work to do before it hits the track again. Need more tire testing too. 

If you want to improve your performance get the car light. It pays out the best gains. I wanted to go lighter but Nat wanted it to still look like a Miata. And he has a love for a windshield. 

• Like 7
18 hours ago, Jer said:

He thought the white flag was a yellow flag and jumped on the brakes to not pass. Very sorry. 

17 minutes ago, frankrehnelt said:

He thought the white flag was a yellow flag and jumped on the brakes to not pass. Very sorry. 

No, no need to be sorry!  It was a blast racing Grant and your other drivers in the 901!  It was just a hairy situation and luckily there was enough room to go four abreast!  :)

3 hours ago, V2 Motorsports said:

At NCM we had nothing for the NC Miata. We got very lucky as the NC Miata had one extra stop on Saturday. If they didn't we would have yet another second place finish. My hats off to those guys for building a great car and great driving. If they don't make any mistakes we will never best them with what we have. 

We did great on fuel at MCM and only had to grab the third gas can for one stop. 

On the RE71s we can generally only get two stints out of the tires. Left sides take a beating. We tried to make the RS4 work but just couldn't get the lap times as compared to the RE71s.  Both Nat And Justin drive the car like its a sprint race. 10/10ths every lap. They beat the living crap out of the car. We did try the Coopers on Sunday for 3 stints and had about the same lap times as the REs but with better wear. Might have made all 4 but it would have been close. Still need to do more testing with the coopers. 

Justin I would rate as a A+ driver (and has the track records and championships to back it up) Nat I would rate as a A- driver and weighs more than a 100 pounds over Justin. Both very capable drivers. I would go out on a limb and say Justin alone is worth 3 seconds a lap. Ask him to drive your car at the next practice he is at to see. He loves to drive. You do have to give him back though. 

The WTF car has a lot of development and testing done to it. It's extremely light. 1925 lbs. Lightness is the biggest factor to the cars performance. last year at Gingerman we ran the JDM engine as we received it off the pallet (attempting to save money). At Gingerman it consumed a quart of oil every 2 hours and ended up blowing out the rear main seal. We then busted it apart and re ringed it and re sealed it. I also found that the cam was one tooth off (explained why we were running so hot). While it was apart we focused on porting. We went through 3 scrap heads messing with port shape on the flow bench and then applied what we learned to the head on the car. The Porting made big gains. We spent a lot of time on the Dyno and on track tweaking the tune to pull everything out of the engine we could. 

We also spent a lot of time testing setup and the rear wing to tune in spring rates, bars, camber, caster, RH, and cross. We even chopped off 8" each side of the wing to balance speed vs downforce. Many combinations tried. 

This car is anything but a bolt on and go project. lots and lots of development and verification. 

The downside now is one of our drivers miss shifted to 8900 RPMs and I think the engine is hurt now. It's not making the best sounds right now. We did brakes over the winter and they are hyper sensitive right now. So I have a lot of work to do before it hits the track again. Need more tire testing too. 

If you want to improve your performance get the car light. It pays out the best gains. I wanted to go lighter but Nat wanted it to still look like a Miata. And he has a love for a windshield. 

Thank you for that information.

How did you get it so light? Did you cut out structural parts? (Knowing that the cage will compensate)

2 hours ago, Jer said:

No, no need to be sorry!  It was a blast racing Grant and your other drivers in the 901!  It was just a hairy situation and luckily there was enough room to go four abreast!  :)

We also have the rear facing camera footage that caught that. He got a black flag for passing under yellow at AMP that he thinks cost us the win on Saturday (it might have been closer but NLS had the pace on us) and he has vowed to never pass under yellow again. 

1 minute ago, frankrehnelt said:

We also have the rear facing camera footage that caught that. He got a black flag for passing under yellow at AMP that he thinks cost us the win on Saturday (it might have been closer but NLS had the pace on us) and he has vowed to never pass under yellow again. 

Would love to see the footage!  I don't think any contact was made but I could be wrong.  Good to know why he did what he did, but jumping over right late after realizing the mistake without looking could have been a big deal hahaha  Glad it wasn't!!

1 minute ago, Jer said:

Would love to see the footage!  I don't think any contact was made but I could be wrong.  Good to know why he did what he did, but jumping over right late after realizing the mistake without looking could have been a big deal hahaha  Glad it wasn't!!

I’ll send you the link. He was also adjusting his mirror and fumbled a gear right at that moment. Yes, could have been uuuuugly. 

36 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

Thank you for that information.

How did you get it so light? Did you cut out structural parts? (Knowing that the cage will compensate) 

In some places yes. Not too much though. There is heavy sheetmetal all over the car thats not needed. like I said I could have gone lighter but Nat didn't want an ugly car. Weight is key. Cant overstate that enough. My P1 car with me in it weighed 900 lbs. My competition was 100lbs over that and it was like night and day difference. Or you can feel a massive difference in a car just by adding a passenger. To me it's like a completely different car. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, frankrehnelt said:

I’ll send you the link. He was also adjusting his mirror and fumbled a gear right at that moment. Yes, could have been uuuuugly. 

I had the cars jumbled up, but that could have been a three or even four car pileup!  Slamming on your brakes at the fastest part of the track is odd at best, especially since the slow back marker was already behind your car.  I hope you talked to him because what he did was a pretty bad mistake that gets warned against at each and every driver's meeting.  You never drop anchor when a yellow, white or even red flag comes out.  

Edited by Jer
2 hours ago, Jer said:

I had the cars jumbled up, but that could have been a three or even four car pileup!  Slamming on your brakes at the fastest part of the track is odd at best, especially since the slow back marker was already behind your car.  I hope you talked to him because what he did was a pretty bad mistake that gets warned against at each and every driver's meeting.  You never drop anchor when a yellow, white or even red flag comes out.  

Yes, we will debrief. I think it all started going sideways when he adjusted his mirror. One small moment of distraction (like looking at a text on the road) can lead to very bad things. We all dodged a bullet on that one. Again, very sorry.......please send me the dry cleaning bill for your driving suit as needed. 

• Haha 2
On 3/29/2021 at 5:25 PM, Snorman said:

FYI...KSR built that car. Perhaps to the owner's specs, but it was built by Kevin. 

KSR did the safety equipment and general fabrication: roll cage, fuel firewall, fire system, that sort of thing. All the performance mods, tuning, suspension setup, most of the general wrenching, etc. was done by me and my co-driver, to my specs. We do store and work on it at KSR.

Kevin is doing very well with his YouTube channel and association with Cleetus McFarland, so his focus is on drag racing these days.

Our engine is stock, unopened, and makes about 167whp. It's lost 2-3 hp from VIR, where we completed the race with failing fuel pump (16:1 AFR).

Edited by Grant
  • Like 4
15 hours ago, V2 Motorsports said:

Lightness is the biggest factor to the cars performance.

Yup. ChampCar is unique in that it has no minimum weight. You guys want to go fast for cheap? Well the only way to do that is weight reduction. Everything else costs money.

And of course testing and suspension tuning. A well set up car is easier on tires and brakes. Prior to our first race (VIR North) we probably had 20 hours of testing and practice..

I pointed Justin and the grey 'vette by on Sunday near the end of the race (we were two laps up), then tried to keep up when my co-driver bet me I couldn't over the radio. He was right. My left rear was coming apart and the motion sickness meds were messing with my head.

I think both our cars have a lot more left in them. In our case I'm the weakest link; I need to find a solution to motion sickness that doesn't slow me down. In hindsight this was a good thing, because I don't think the tires would have stayed together if we were both running 1:20.Xes.

Edited by Grant
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, Grant said:

Yup. ChampCar is unique in that it has no minimum weight. You guys want to go fast for cheap? Well the only way to do that is weight reduction. Everything else costs money.

And of course testing and suspension tuning. A well set up car is easier on tires and brakes. Prior to our first race (VIR North) we probably had 20 hours of testing and practice..

I pointed Justin and the grey 'vette by on Sunday near the end of the race (we were two laps up), then tried to keep up when my co-driver bet me I couldn't over the radio. He was right. My left rear was coming apart and the motion sickness meds were messing with my head.

I think both our cars have a lot more left in them. In our case I'm the weakest link; I need to find a solution to motion sickness that doesn't slow me down. In hindsight this was a good thing, because I don't think the tires would have stayed together if we were both running 1:20.Xes.

Grant we spoke at VIR in Dec.  Do yourself a favor and see a Doctor for the motion sickness you may have other things going on.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DEE DEE said:

Grant we spoke at VIR in Dec.  Do yourself a favor and see a Doctor for the motion sickness you may have other things going on.

When I started my aerobats training I could only make it about 15 minuets and we would have to stop (land). Just kept after it and with time my body conditioned itself. Took a bit but once conditioned could stay up as long as I had fuel. It sucks because once you get sick it hangs with you for most of the day. 

11 hours ago, V2 Motorsports said:

When I started my aerobats training I could only make it about 15 minuets and we would have to stop (land). Just kept after it and with time my body conditioned itself. Took a bit but once conditioned could stay up as long as I had fuel. It sucks because once you get sick it hangs with you for most of the day. 

If you can take a nap sometimes that resets things.

On 3/24/2021 at 11:59 AM, eyeballs19 said:

Here is a unique view of some of this battle (note time stamp shows an hour early)

That was INCREDIBLY fun!!!  Best wheel to wheel racing in a long time!  We were setting fast lap after fast lap chasing each other.  I think we set 4 (team) fast laps during this time.  Thanks for the good clean racing. Hope to see you at future races. (Nelson ledges is our (BULLDOG RACING) next target.)

Sean