Holy tire wear Batman! Ncm was hard on tires.

Indysupra

• Indysupra changed the title to Holy tire wear Batman! Ncm was hard on tires.
11 hours ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

But you could say that an any track with RS4, except for Calabogie. The good old RS4.

You're right.  However, my point stands that our tires didn't wear any different here than most "normal" tracks were we run rs4.

• Like 1

Same old story every year around this time! Tirerack did not have any 225/45-15 RS4 in stock.  We run these tires because they wear like iron.

We rolled the dice and tried some Nexen brand tires which were on sale, and had a great review from Tirerack. Wow bad decision, bald after 6 hours on Saturday. Luckily we had some used RS4's  we ran at COTA. After 16 hours at COTA, 2 hours on Saturday and 7 hours on Sunday, our lap times were  just 2 seconds off the new Nexens, on a seriously used set of Hankook tires. I know 2 seconds is a lot but we do not have a budget which allows for multiple sets of tires for a weekend. If we had new Hankooks available we may have been on parody with the Nexens. 

PS: 2300 pound NB Miata so not a heavy car.

Give me Hankooks or give me death.

Edited by mickindy14

47 minutes ago, mickindy14 said:

Same old story every year around this time! Tirerack did not have any 225/45-15 RS4 in stock.  We run these tires because they wear like iron.

We rolled the dice and tried some Nexen brand tires which were on sale, and had a great review from Tirerack. Wow bad decision, bald after 6 hours on Saturday. Luckily we had some used RS4's  we ran at COTA. After 16 hours at COTA, 2 hours on Saturday and 7 hours on Sunday, our lap times were  just 2 seconds off the new Nexens, on a seriously used set of Hankook tires. I know 2 seconds is a lot but we do not have a budget which allows for multiple sets of tires for a weekend. If we had new Hankooks available we may have been on parody with the Nexens. 

PS: 2300 pound NB Miata so not a heavy car.

Give me Hankooks or give me death.

Try directly with https://hankookmotorsports.com/products/rs4-tires?variant=37890594832551

Some times they have it when tirerack doesn't

4 hours ago, mhr650 said:

Interesting data point, I know a lot of teams are interested in those tires.

They last just like RE71s in my opinion. Setup was spot on as the wear was very even. The rear tires --even the right rear was worn almost to the same point. 

The Mustang is very front heavy and will eat thru fronts quickly. At many tracks they might make a 8 hour --just barely.

55 minutes ago, MJNOVA said:

They last just like RE71s in my opinion. Setup was spot on as the wear was very even. The rear tires --even the right rear was worn almost to the same point. 

The Mustang is very front heavy and will eat thru fronts quickly. At many tracks they might make a 8 hour --just barely.

Tire wear directly mimics suspension set up. Read the tire. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, scottyk said:

Tire wear directly mimics suspension set up. Read the tire. 

I think we ended up at around 30psi all around. To be clear --I am not complaining about the tire. It latest as long or longer than a RE71 and it provided the additional grip we needed to go faster than the RS4s. We went a few laps to many on them.  

• Like 1

We had some really odd wear:

245/40-15 Rivals

Alignment: 
2.2 camber, zero toe, 5 degrees caster:  front
2.5 camber, 1/8" toe in: rear
*We've added camber with the move to the Rival.

900/450 Springs and Penske shocks.

2170lbs with driver and partial fuel.  (~600lbs of total DF)

50/50 cross weights, Delrin bushings.

25psi cold (40degrees)  26 mid-day(55degrees)  32PSI off track.

This was at NCM grand course in 45-65 degree weather partly cloudy.

Obviously the extreme inside and outside wear is odd like we are running too much toe and not enough camber, or are severely underinflated.  

We did some pyro testing early, but it was before we really hit our pace and there were no significant concerns there.

tire_labels_2.JPG

• Thanks 1

How the he'll did you wear out the passenger side and not the driver side?

Did you use 2 sets for 1 day?

Is the 25 psi and 26psi set cold, or measured hot?

Edited by wvumtnbkr

42 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

How the he'll did you wear out the passenger side and not the driver side?

Did you use 2 sets for 1 day?

Is the 25 psi and 26psi set cold, or measured hot?

Driver side had both tires replaced (2nd tire).  Only the PAX rear was replaced but the first one wore the fastest.

We had 10 tires for the two days and testing and almost all of each are done for.

32PSI hot.  

Our new car had 225/45/15 RS4s with 5 race weekends on them before this race.  It finished the day with those same tires in 3rd place.  We would have run them on Sunday too but because our old car broke we swapped on the new 245 RS4s that were on her.  We talked to a very competitive team that said they were going to use up 3 new sets of Re71 that weekend.  They were 4s faster then us but we just don’t have that kind of tire budget available. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LuckyKid said:

We had some really odd wear:

245/40-15 Rivals

Alignment: 
2.2 camber, zero toe, 5 degrees caster:  front
2.5 camber, 1/8" toe in: rear
*We've added camber with the move to the Rival.

900/450 Springs and Penske shocks.

2170lbs with driver and partial fuel.  (~600lbs of total DF)

50/50 cross weights, Delrin bushings.

25psi cold (40degrees)  26 mid-day(55degrees)  32PSI off track.

This was at NCM grand course in 45-65 degree weather partly cloudy.

Obviously the extreme inside and outside wear is odd like we are running too much toe and not enough camber, or are severely underinflated.  

We did some pyro testing early, but it was before we really hit our pace and there were no significant concerns there.

tire_labels_2.JPG

We also had wear on the inside and outside. We were already running more pressure than Barber to try and help with shoulder wear.