2022 BCCR Petitions - Member comments period has opened

53 minutes ago, Black Magic said:

Re71 width availability capped at 205 is a major hurdle compared to the Cooper (supposedly cooper will support 245 15"). Also end of production for RE71R tire. 15" Tires are no longer listed on tire rack....

The ability for you to find a discontinued tire may vary with mileage as well....

What exactly are you talking about? When did I a.) mention the RE71R specifically, or b.) limit the discussion to a single tire size? 🤣

25 minutes ago, Black Magic said:

Will need specific rims to get the car in the trailer....and power steering to overcome the steering trail.....

After our experience with not especially sticky 245's I am adding power steering to my car. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snorman said:

What exactly are you talking about? When did I a.) mention the RE71R specifically, or b.) limit the discussion to a single tire size? 🤣

You didn't say much besides naysaying that teams would consider coopers... 🤣

We heard from NCM winners and Parts Badger, for the teams you talked to what was the tire consensus? RE71R, A052 and Rival? Testing the waters on the 660? 

Among the winning cars, what tire to mount on a 8-10" wide 15" rim is an incredibly common issue (e30, most Miata, most small FWD, older import sportscars). It is probably the most popular wheel size for the field, although as time goes on and the legacy cars go away this will shift to 8-10" wide 17". Time will tell what the 15" crowd pick as fastest (not necessarily what they run due to budget). I think had you been at NCM your opinion might be a little different.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Snorman said:

Yes, the series should tell the title sponsor (you know...Tire Rack) to "go screw" and encourage teams to buy tires directly from Hankook for 4-5 months out of the year. 

This is a wonderful idea. 

Too bad you can't figure out how to apply the concept.:rolleyes:

Hopefully others will be able to.

17 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

I think Cooper just got purchased by another company. Goodyear or Goodyears parent company Sumitomo, or whoever owns them now. Coops are rebranded Avons if I remember right. So made in the UK?

Goodyear is the parent company, and has nothing to do with Sumitomo. Years ago, there was a joint venture between GY and SRI, but that has since been dissolved. The only remaining vestiges of that are some Dunlop tires (which Goodyear owns) being produced by Sumitomo - Direzza Z3, for example.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mhr650 said:

The 4 in the Hankook RS4 name implies that there will be an RS5 at some point. Considering how the market is going it is completely reasonable to believe that it will be an Autocross rocket with terrible wear, but who knows.

I don't think this is a valid assumption. That's like saying by making Back to The Future 3, they always planned on making a 4th, or that because there was a Mustang II, there will be a Mustang 3 someday...

• Haha 4

OK so maybe the new tire will be called the Fox Body RS4… one thing that is clear is that in a competitive market everyone is required to change or die, and I am sure that Hankook will have some other tire in the category at some point in the future

• Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee
1 hour ago, collinskl1 said:

I don't think this is a valid assumption. That's like saying by making Back to The Future 3, they always planned on making a 4th, or that because there was a Mustang II, there will be a Mustang 3 someday...

image.jpeg.b38901f44ef7c54f1cc2353c45ca0748.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, mhr650 said:

Wait till the 275-15 tires hit the market…

wait.... I am looking for a tire that wide for GBU-jr (The opel GT) 
tell me more

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

wait.... I am looking for a tire that wide for GBU-jr (The opel GT) 
tell me more

Isn't that abit much for an O-pile? Lol or do you have a swapped LS1 in that thing?🙂

8 minutes ago, Timothy G. Elliott said:

Isn't that abit much for an O-pile? Lol or do you have a swapped LS1 in that thing?🙂

I was told by the CEO that I can run whatever engine I want in the car. No limit. But I have to win. If I don't win I can never race the car again.
I suspect that somewhere around an hour before the end of the race the tower will find some issues and black flag me. Or if the membership know this, then I would be sidelined fairly quickly. 

I suspect I have said too much.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

I was told by the CEO that I can run whatever engine I want in the car. No limit. But I have to win. If I don't win I can never race the car again.
I suspect that somewhere around an hour before the end of the race the tower will find some issues and black flag me. Or if the membership know this, then I would be sidelined fairly quickly. 

I suspect I have said too much.

You can run what every engine you want just be careful what tires you choose! :)

Just now, hotrod said:

You can run what every engine you want just be careful what tires you choose! :)

lol. I was thinking that 165-13 tires won't be very compatible with 600hp and 1800 pounds.

6 minutes ago, Timothy G. Elliott said:

Why not a Veyron then??🤪

Also, Top Gear stated that running at top speed tires would be degraded in something like 15-20 minutes, and with all the complaints about using too many tires during an event, this may become an issue...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, mhr650 said:

As I understand it the Cooper RS3-R has nothing in common with the normal Cooper tire range. They are made by the Avon race tire group in the UK, they are only imported to the US because there was already a company that was importing the Avon rally tires. Cooper is now the sponsor of WRL so it wouldn’t surprise me if they became the spec tire for them.

This points out a trend that I expect to see more of, tires made by racing companies that have a UTQG stamp on them. The next one I see coming down the road is the Nankang CR-1, it seems to be a full racing tire and is not available at TireRack or other mainstream tire dealers. There is even whispers of this tire being available in 275-35-15, those on a Miata should give the heavy car teams the vapors…

I believe that everyone believes now that if Hoosier wanted to they could mold a few random grooves into an R7, send them for UTQG testing and sell them as 200+ TW tires.

On the other hand, one of the tires constantly whined about is going away, the Bridgestone RE71 is going out of production, they may have even stopped producing new ones and we are just living on what’s left in stock. I can’t believe that Bridgestone would not stay in the market so we can expect something new but who knows how it will perform.

The 4 in the Hankook RS4 name implies that there will be an RS5 at some point. Considering how the market is going it is completely reasonable to believe that it will be an Autocross rocket with terrible wear, but who knows.

In conclusion, it is a complicated and ever-changing world to try to legislate tire performance.

Continental owns Hoosier.

There was an familiar face from Hoosier at the Gingerman event last year (Hoosier HQ is located not far away) who was observing a team with a set of Continentals on it. "Nothing much to talk about" was what I was told... If they get in this game, I'd bet it would happen as a Conti..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BollingerChump said:

Continental owns Hoosier.

There was an familiar face from Hoosier at the Gingerman event last year (Hoosier HQ is located not far away) who was observing a team with a set of Continentals on it. "Nothing much to talk about" was what I was told... If they get in this game, I'd bet it would happen as a Conti..

"Bruce Knows"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/30/2021 at 6:05 PM, Bandit said:

I'd look at it more along the lines of two teams that are fairly comparable in laptimes at various track. One is a 2000 pound car the other is a 2700 pound car. The lightweight goes for hot tires so the other team does as well. They continue to have comparable lap times but now the heavier car needs two, or more, sets of tires for the weekend.

The only thing gained is more rubber on the track and more money in Tire Rack's bank account. Finishing positions do not change as relative performance has not changed as they both went faster.

Nobody wins.

This seems to exactly describe us and MK Motorsports. I think they got 4 hours out of a set of Coopers at NCM (admittedly a track very hard on tires). We got the whole weekend out of 4.5 tires.

Granted I think we do need a softer option than RS4s so we can not completely suck in the cold.

Edited by Grant
  • Like 1

Why are people using NCM as any kind of wear barometer? That place sounds like it eats rubber like PBIR or AMS (the only internal references I have)

PBIR we planned for high wear, brought every half used, heat hard tire we could find laying around and happily burned through them all, even a top 5 on day one

On 3/31/2021 at 1:37 PM, Bill Strong said:

\ Coops are rebranded Avons if I remember right. So made in the UK?

Yes, another conformation, they are Avon tyres from UK

On 3/31/2021 at 2:16 PM, Snorman said:

I only know of a team or two that's planning on trying them.

Wonder how many we will see @ Daytona

9 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Why are people using NCM as any kind of wear barometer? That place sounds like it eats rubber like PBIR or AMS (the only internal references I have)

PBIR we planned for high wear, brought every half used, heat hard tire we could find laying around and happily burned through them all, even a top 5 on day one

Yes, another conformation, they are Avon tyres from UK

Wonder how many we will see @ Daytona

I wouldn’t be surprised if they run into a supply shortage at some point. They may be the reverse of Hankook which only sends tires to TireRack once a year, and instead sends over smaller batches, which if they all the sudden get popular could be depleted quickly.

Just another Miata team here that races 3-4 times a year with off-shoot team members building 2 more cars for this series for 2022. We LOVE Champcar. As amateur racers, we don’t need a massive pit crew or 50k car to be competitive. At twisty tracks, we can run within 2-3 seconds of the fast guys usually. 

We always run RS4/star specs just due to the cost. I brought up skipping a race to buy the sticky tires for the other two races and was shot down by the team. I want to be on par with the leaders and I want to win. That’s just a fact of life for all of us. 

I still have not seen a single person come up with a serious issue of an approved tire list. The BOD/TAC will have NO problem in analyzing new tires that come out. As already discussed GRM and Tire Rack put these out almost right away. Please don’t pass some super complicated hand tool rule or 7 minute pit stop that confuses everyone. Make it simple and easy to enforce. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1