Kumho v730

wd6681

great if you run the ACR version on a viper, for short periods of time, the compounds are not the same on the other sizes.  A focus team ran them who was pitted next to us, they just complained the whole race how bad the tires were.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MoparBoyy said:

great if you run the ACR version on a viper, for short periods of time, the compounds are not the same on the other sizes.  A focus team ran them who was pitted next to us, they just complained the whole race how bad the tires were.

Are referring to the v720 as there is not an acr version of the v730. I am also assuming there is a difference between the v720 and v730 :)

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

We didn't find them to be any faster than Cooper RS3-Rs, but they were much more temperature sensitive. Wear was oddly good for a tire that almost always set its fastest lap when cold (for a Florida summer).

Edited by Grant

9 hours ago, mender said:

Any issues? The V720 was said to chunk.

No, very robust. At least on a lightweight Miata. But they do have that 'dont want to see the Tires after this driving'. Then you look at them and they look the same as when you got in the car...

About their temperature sensitivity, we need to collect more data on them but I do feel they are pressure sensitive so your temps could be bringing them out of their pressure sweet spot. Doesn't seem to effect the laptimes as much as the balance. On a relatively loose Miata they were front limited when the pressures were a touch too high. I would suggest a hot pressure of around 32 psi. That is a 205/50r15 on a 15x8. 

Oh and a note on that, they are NARROW at least in a 205/50r15. They are the only tire I have run where when they fall on their side you hear the metal of the wheel hit the ground.

I have come to believe that there is no free lunch with tires but these are definitely fast enough and inexpensive enough.

8 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Did you think they were faster than rs4?

Peak lap times yes. They make a bit more grip. Over an entire stint? Not sure. Since we didn't see any improvement with them over the Coopers we never felt the need to test their endurance (for us the Coopers stay consistent for an entire weekend).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

I ran the v730s recently. They have similar pace to the Cooper RS3-Rs, but had better wear on my heavy FWD Sedan. 2900 to 3000lbs fully fueled with driver.

• ~1 to 1.3s a lap faster than RS4s over 90s lap. 
  • Most cars should get 8-10 hours our of a pair. RS4s last 16 to 24 hours for me. 
  • Ran 275-35-18s on the fronts. They fit narrow and like less tire pressure than RS4s. 
  • They take a while to warm up. About 15 minutes on a cold track (10c/50f) - first thing in the morning. 
  • They are among the least expensive tires on the market now.
  • Excluding warm up period my fast laps were sprinkled through the 2hr stint.
  • Online other folks, mentioned v730s being good for camber limited cars. I had more outside wear than I would like. I was running about 2.3 degrees negative camber. Plan to add another half degree before my next race. 
  • Grip increase was significant enough over RS4s that I had to relearn a few corners as I was over turning and having to correct mid corner.

The 285-35-18 Coopers RS3-Rs I ran lasted about 5 hours; 4 hours with decent grip. The 275 V730s had a peak lap time .080s faster than the 285 R3Rs in "my car." 

I plan to run the v730s again. Would prefer if they had a larger size. 285 or even 295 on 18s. 

Edited by veris
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We used a set at Daytona this year. Rained quite a bit but grip felt much better in all conditions compared to Hankooks we had been running. I would consider wear acceptable but not nearly as long wearing as Hankooks. Can’t compare lap times as was our first race at Daytona. Will use again

• Like 1

We ran Sebring a couple years ago in the pouring rain on a new set of RS4s. I didn’t feel they were good at all in the rain. Our little E30 doesn’t have much power(150 at the wheels) and you had to take it easy accelerating or around you went. The 730s were easier to drive in the rain for sure. 

Edited by TimS