Helmet Selection

mgoblue06

My first helmet was an entry level Pyrotect, which I wore for 8 years. It was ok, but would start to hurt my head once nearing two hours.

Last year, I bit the bullet and bought a Stilo ST5 with integrated comms and I LOVE it. I wasn't dead set on the brand, and went to a local shop to try on several different brands and models... there are different head shapes and different helmet shapes. The Stilo fits me very well, and has different size pads for the inside to mix and match if required.

Helmets are preference item. You can find bargain models if budget is the priority. You can get models that have tons of extras and models that are lighter and marketed by top drivers and teams. IMO it’s best to find brand and model that fits you best and fits your budget. Tough to find stocked race suppliers in all areas. Some online shops will exchange helmets if they don’t fit some don’t definitely ask first. Discovery  parts has a great selection in there store(Atlanta area)and I believe will bring models to Champcar events if you arrange in advance. There are several manufacturers and well stocked race suppliers in my area Mooresville/Charlotte NC. Several of the big racetracks have Pro Shops too. So depending on where you live you make have to plan a bit of a trip. My personal helmet is a Pyrotect Carbon Air pro with comms installed. I have also used Bell and Simpson in the past. All have been great but each fit me well and fit my budget at the time.