16 minutes ago, mhr650 said:

I know tirerack is the sponsor but they are useless for finding wheels. They made a decision to not allow searching by size. 

Agreed...  though they made that decision based on the fact that they actually verify fit for all wheels available to a vehicle.  So, pretty cool.  

Unless you are not limited to stock alignment and body parameters. 

• Technical Advisory Committee
9 hours ago, mhr650 said:

I know tirerack is the sponsor but they are useless for finding wheels. They made a decision to not allow searching by size. 

I have never been able to figure out how to shop for wheels on Tire Rack's website. I have probably spent hours trying. 

Even if you call tire rack, they aren't useful for shopping for wheels.  Its real disappointing.

Discount Tire has sold me wheels before, they have a good selection and let you shop by size.

Otherwise I generally google "Wheel Fitment MY CAR HERE" and see what comes up, then go to a wheel manufacturer's website and try to find a retailer from there. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

^^^^All of the above. 
it sure would be nice to be able to shop for wheels the same way we can for tire sizes. Not sure who’s got a good website for that other than going to the manufacturer for info and then finding a distributor as mentioned above. 
A lot of research needs to be done to get the correct fitment you need. 
Its mostly due to the fact that the sizes and offsets we use in our cars are not the same as stock, or close to stock. Most outlets have never done the physical installation of our odd sizes to ensure clearance. In fact, they’re probably not even interested in selling wheels thst would require wheelhouse mods to fit. 
Its further compounded when you’re dealing with an oddball bolt pattern (4x108mm). 
Someone mentioned Good-Win-Racing. Yes I’ve found that they not only list offsets, but also provide info for clearance issues that will be encountered - mostly tailored to Miatas though. Probably similar sites for some other commonly tracked cars such as BMW’s, Honda’s?, Mustangs?, etc. ???

Years ago (or any time) I created the brake//hub/wheel package for a GT3 car, I made a template similar to the one @Chris Huggins did for his E30 brake package. I sent off copies of the template to wheel manufacturers to check fit before purchase. 
The most recent wheels I bought were from a place in California called 18racing.com

Its a Rota distributor owned by a very knowledgeable woman (Jenny) with direct ties to the Rota factory. As soon as I mentioned my bolt pattern, she named the car and told me which wheel would provide the most caliper clearance. I was very impressed and sent another racer there that had a similar, good experience. Their website lists most alll pertinent info except for weight😞

if you go there, use the search line and key in your size using their conventions, such as 1585 4x108 for a 15x8.5 etc. 

Edited by mcoppola

I should mention.

The guys at Konig Wheel USA are super helpful.  They spent over an hour on the phone with me trying to get my brake kit to fit inside one of their wheels.  Didn't work out, but the effort was A+

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

Its further compounded when you’re dealing with an oddball bolt pattern (4x108mm). 

Yup our Audi is also 4x108, but the center bore and offset are really hard to find in a decent aftermarket wheel...especially if you want wider than 7"

• Like 2

I found this handy chart for understanding offsets and backspacing. 
as a rule of thumb, add 1” (1/2” for each bead/lip) to your wheel width, and divide it in half to get a “zero offset” wheel. 
Example, for a 8” wide wheel, the overall width would be 9.” A zero offset wheel has 4.5” backspacing. 
Usually we are concerned with the backspacing dimension to clear suspension struts, etc. so if a wheel listing shows offset you can use this chart, or the “rule of thumb” to calculate backspacing. 

7E80E294-333B-429C-9FBA-E3AB4D8FC5B5.png

I've had pretty good luck on Summit.  They let you search by a whole host of technical specifications.  They have most major brands and from time to time have decent sales.

15 hours ago, Andrew D Johnson said:

I have never been able to figure out how to shop for wheels on Tire Rack's website. I have probably spent hours trying. 

Here you go:

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/results.jsp?autoMake=Mazda&autoModel=Miata+SCCA+STR+Class&autoYear=2003&autoModClar=&package=false

I ordered a set of 15x9 wheels with 225 R-S4s already mounted and balanced and picked them up on the way to the track.

Edited by mender
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, turbogrill said:

Basset Racing wheel if you have old/odd cars such as a Datsun, $100 for a custom 15x10  wheel that ways 21lbs...

http://www.bassettwheel.com/dhole_lightweight.html

Yep....We are sort of relinquished to these as 5x100 15x10" wheels in anything lightweight are hen's teeth.....

If someone has a lead on alloy wheels like that.....let me know......

At least the bassets can be had in whatever offset you want, up to 6" backspacing on a 15x10.

Edited by Black Magic

I also wish you could search wheels through their site like you can search the tire sizes (select a wheel and search all its available options).  If you know what you want is available and have the mfg number, you can order the wheels that way (what I did) but will need a reps help.  Whats nice is that they only had 2 of our tires left in stock in the US at 2 different locations and are shipping the wheels and tires to the closest warehouse to be mounted/balanced before they ship to me.  Can't beat their service.

9 hours ago, mender said:

Here you go:

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/results.jsp?autoMake=Mazda&autoModel=Miata+SCCA+STR+Class&autoYear=2003&autoModClar=&package=false

I ordered a set of 15x9 wheels with 225 R-S4s already mounted and balanced and picked them up on the way to the track.

spacer.png

On 3/31/2021 at 9:13 AM, mcoppola said:

^^^^All of the above. 
it sure would be nice to be able to shop for wheels the same way we can for tire sizes. Not sure who’s got a good website for that other than going to the manufacturer for info and then finding a distributor as mentioned above. 
A lot of research needs to be done to get the correct fitment you need. 
Its mostly due to the fact that the sizes and offsets we use in our cars are not the same as stock, or close to stock. Most outlets have never done the physical installation of our odd sizes to ensure clearance. In fact, they’re probably not even interested in selling wheels thst would require wheelhouse mods to fit. 
Someone mentioned Good-Win-Racing. Yes I’ve found that they not only list offsets, but also provide info for clearance issues that will be encountered - mostly tailored to Miatas though. Probably similar sites for some other commonly tracked cars such as BMW’s, Honda’s?, Mustangs?, etc. ???

Years ago (or any time) I created the brake//hub/wheel package for a GT3 car, I made a template similar to the one @Chris Huggins did for his E30 brake package. I sent off copies of the template to wheel manufacturers to check fit before purchase. 
The most recent wheels I bought were from a place in California called 18racing.com

Its a Rota distributor owned by a very knowledgeable woman (Jenny) with direct ties to the Rota factory. As soon as I mentioned my bolt pattern, she named the car and told me which wheel would provide the most caliper clearance. I was very impressed and sent another racer there that had a similar, good experience. Their website lists most alll pertinent info except for weight😞

if you go there, use the search line and key in your size using their conventions, such as 1585 4x108 for a 15x8.5 etc. 

We just find some other chump with a weird car like ours, and buy their leftovers....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 forged units on eBay for 75 dollars each. Used but good condition. Just be Johnny on the spot. You will find something reasonable and in your budget.

3724425C-927F-4A6D-B56F-1100AC990F7D.jpeg

Edited by Cam Benty
Spelling

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2021 at 1:19 PM, Hurljohn said:

You better be right..I just ordered a back up set of wheels from them for Daytona!  Great Price on Enkei BTW!

Update:  wheels showed up earlier than I expected and communication from Good-Win-Racing was excellent!  No complaints at all!

• Like 2

On 4/1/2021 at 8:00 AM, Black Magic said:

Yep....We are sort of relinquished to these as 5x100 15x10" wheels in anything lightweight are hen's teeth.....

If someone has a lead on alloy wheels like that.....let me know......

At least the bassets can be had in whatever offset you want, up to 6" backspacing on a 15x10.

Jegs star wheels.  It's what we run.  I think you can get them in almost all bolt patterns.  They weigh 17 lbs in 15 x10.  They are like 120$ each.

58 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Jegs star wheels.  It's what we run.  I think you can get them in almost all bolt patterns.  They weigh 17 lbs in 15 x10.  They are like 120$ each.

The 15 x 9s that I bought from Tire Rack weigh about 12 lbs and cost about $150 IIRC. Close out special.