Jump to content

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, mender said:

The 15 x 9s that I bought from Tire Rack weigh about 12 lbs and cost about $150 IIRC. Close out special.

 

Gonna have to see if they can sell blanks or sell 5 lug versions of those wheels. That could work great, if I get another hole in them (need 5 x 100 vs 4 x 100)

 

10 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Jegs star wheels.  It's what we run.  I think you can get them in almost all bolt patterns.  They weigh 17 lbs in 15 x10.  They are like 120$ each.

 

Looked briefly and didn't see 5x100, but will look more. The 5.5 BS could work well, just not sure I can redrill 5 x 120.6 (5x 4.75) to 5 x 100, less or much more bolt center spacing change would be possible. Hopefully SSR has custom drilling options or can sell me blanks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Technical Advisory Committee
1 minute ago, Black Magic said:

 

Gonna have to see if they can sell blanks or sell 5 lug versions of those wheels. That could work great, if I get another hole in them (need 5 x 100 vs 4 x 100)

 

 

Looked briefly and didn't see 5x100, but will look more. The 5.5 BS could work well, just not sure I can redrill 5 x 120.6 (5x 4.75) to 5 x 100, less or much more bolt center spacing change would be possible. Hopefully SSR has custom drilling options or can sell me blanks. 

The problem I found with trying to find wheels that I could re-drill was that most often there are void areas between the lugs for weight savings, etc. Rarely do you have a flat round hub face on a wheel to be able to re-drill it. At least that's what I found...

A lot of the Focus guys have gone from the 4x108 bolt pattern to the more commonly used 4x100, by re-drilling the hubs and rotors. There are are multitude of wheels available in the 4x100 size due to their use on Miatas, Hondas, and E30's. That seems to be the size that the new lightweight flow form wheels seem most abundant in, too.

 

My advice would be if possible, redrill huibs and rotors to get to a more commony used bolt pattern. These size wheels 4x100, also seem to be some of the best offerings for the money considering choices, availability, weight and quality.

A typical alloy 15x9 or 15x10 is about 16-18 lbs, whereas the flow form versions in those sizes are 10-12 lbs. Close to 24 lbs of unsprung, rotational weight right there! (Oops, shhhhh, nobody saw that....)

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Black Magic said:

 

Gonna have to see if they can sell blanks or sell 5 lug versions of those wheels. That could work great, if I get another hole in them (need 5 x 100 vs 4 x 100)

 

 

Looked briefly and didn't see 5x100, but will look more. The 5.5 BS could work well, just not sure I can redrill 5 x 120.6 (5x 4.75) to 5 x 100, less or much more bolt center spacing change would be possible. Hopefully SSR has custom drilling options or can sell me blanks. 

STORM S1 MATTE GREY

 

17" only in 5 x 100. Avanti Storm S1.

Edited by mender
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

The problem I found with trying to find wheels that I could re-drill was that most often there are void areas between the lugs for weight savings, etc. Rarely do you have a flat round hub face on a wheel to be able to re-drill it. At least that's what I found...

A lot of the Focus guys have gone from the 4x108 bolt pattern to the more commonly used 4x100, by re-drilling the hubs and rotors. There are are multitude of wheels available in the 4x100 size due to their use on Miatas, Hondas, and E30's. That seems to be the size that the new lightweight flow form wheels seem most abundant in, too.

 

My advice would be if possible, redrill huibs and rotors to get to a more commony used bolt pattern. These size wheels 4x100, also seem to be some of the best offerings for the money considering choices, availability, weight and quality.

A typical alloy 15x9 or 15x10 is about 16-18 lbs, whereas the flow form versions in those sizes are 10-12 lbs. Close to 24 lbs of unsprung, rotational weight right there! (Oops, shhhhh, nobody saw that....)

 

 

Exactly my thoughts, I had to do something to convert my car from the stupid 4X110 so I used the super common 4X100 to get relatively low cost Miata wheels.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

A lot of the Focus guys have gone from the 4x108 bolt pattern to the more commonly used 4x100, by re-drilling the hubs and rotors. There are are multitude of wheels available in the 4x100 size due to their use on Miatas, Hondas, and E30's. That seems to be the size that the new lightweight flow form wheels seem most abundant in, too.

Yup, Miatas have a significant market presence. Price and selection are very good so if you have a car that can use Miata wheels your VPi should go up because of the advantage. ;) 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mhr650 said:

 

Exactly my thoughts, I had to do something to convert my car from the stupid 4X110 so I used the super common 4X100 to get relatively low cost Miata wheels.

I converted the Fiero from 5 x 100 to the much more common 5 x 115 so I could use old Tuner wheels.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Technical Advisory Committee
5 minutes ago, mender said:

I converted the Fiero from 5 x 100 to the much more common 5 x 115 so I could use old Tuner wheels.

@Black Magic With the Neons being 5x100, it may be better to do as @mender did, moving to the more common 5x114.3 (4.5") pattern if wheels are more readily available in that pattern. (I've never looked.)

I didn't take the time to sketch it out just , but I recall when the shops were building hubs for us, they said going from a 4 bolt to a 5 bolt pattern in a similar spacing  (100, 114, 4.5", 5" , etc.) is sometimes not possible, and vice versa - due to holes overlapping. There ARE ways around that though (plugging holes in hubs, or using larger diameter knurled section studs, etc.) 

Once again, I've found that most hub faces and rotors have material to work with in changing a bolt pattern, whereas changing a pattern on a wheel, or getting someone to make blanks, was a more difficult and thus far unsuccessful path (for me).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2021 at 6:00 AM, Black Magic said:

 

Yep....We are sort of relinquished to these as 5x100 15x10" wheels in anything lightweight are hen's teeth.....

 

If someone has a lead on alloy wheels like that.....let me know......

 

At least the bassets can be had in whatever offset you want, up to 6" backspacing on a 15x10.

Try Real Racing Wide five rims.  Lightweight and can be ordered in 1/2" backspace increments up to real stupid width.  They have a centerpiece adapters that allow the wide-five rim to be bolted onto any bolt pattern they carry.  I have used these for years on my GT3 car since I use cantilever slicks on that car and limited to 15 x 7 rims.  There are other adapters (I have used them) but the other aluminum adapters are a bit thinner and need to be checked every year for cracks.  The tire / rim side load is noticeably higher with the slick car versus TW 200 shod Champcar vehicles.   

 

http://www.realwheel.net/products.php?catid=11  (rims)

http://www.realwheel.net/products.php?catid=37&parent=21   (adapters)

9091F2E0-23C5-4149-BEDE-67783723D786_1_105_c.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...