Wheel design and hub stress

Bandit

Probably a silly question, but for some reason I am having trouble getting my head around this.

These two wheels have the same offset, +56, width and diameter but the spokes

attach to the rim differently. Will they exert the same force to the hub?

spacer.png

spacer.png

I ask as I would like to run some spacers to push them out a bit, Camaro wheels have a better offset but not available in repros, and the thought that the spokes being all the way out to the lip on the first example may have more leverage on the hub. Not a huge difference I'm sure, but is there any?

As long as the center of the tire to the face of the flange is the same the hub will see the same loads. On my car I run very thick wheel adapters which would normally be bad for the hubs, but the Miata wheels have so much more backspacing that the tires end up in the same place and just barely clear the struts.

front_adapt.jpg.73dd593694b01ee298dda15121875ccf.jpg

What will make a difference is if one wheel is heavier than the other, for hub stress and everything else related to the suspension less unsprung weight is always better.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I figured as much but it's just one of those visual things that can be confusing.

They don't list wheel weights but the tires are 32lbs. At least with the C7 hubs they went with the C6ZO6 design without the internal wheel speed sensor so they are pretty reasonable, around $75, while having a 1500 lb thrust rating so a bit of a spacer shouldn't be an issue. Stock hubs/bearings are only rated around 921 lbs so they are marginal with much less tire. Kinda like Miata hubs.

We run similar wheels on the 230 SLK I help with (with adapters). The c5 Z06 repo wheels are lighter than the black ones you posted a pic of. Might want to look at them. 

We also use alot of spacer. 2400 lbs car, but haven't had a wheel issue yet. Even "modified" some with the wall and didn't break....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Black Magic said:

We run similar wheels on the 230 SLK I help with (with adapters). The c5 Z06 repo wheels are lighter than the black ones you posted a pic of. Might want to look at them. 

We also use alot of spacer. 2400 lbs car, but haven't had a wheel issue yet. Even "modified" some with the wall and didn't break....

Good to hear some more confirmation of their durability. I know oewheels have been run on at least a couple heavy cars and they seem to hold up well per reports. For the price they are hard to beat when it comes to big wheels. Of course the proper backspacing would be ideal but then a guy is looking at $4-500 per wheel and they would likely need a spacer as well with standard, not the narrow, Superlites.