Jump to content

2021 RVA Graphics & Wraps Daytona Beach 14-hour race results


Recommended Posts

 

Rockwell Autosport Development Boxsters finish P3 and P5 Overall at Daytona out of 121 Cars!
 
After an intense 4 week time frame to build two Boxsters from streetcars this is an amazing result. Want to give a thank you to Function Motorsports for knocking out two Cages In 7 DAYS! I gave him a completely insane time frame when I needed the cars done and he knocked it out of the park. After the cages, Eric, Alex, Doug and Peter worked on weekends and after school/work to build the two cars in 3 weeks.
 
We had a luckily draw for starting position and both Boxsters were running up front the majority of the race. After about the 4 hour mark the Silver 716 Boxster took the lead and held it until the 12 hour mark. After some light contact earlier in the day on the driver rear caused the rear Toe arm to become loose, the car became unsafe to drive. We had to make the unfortunate decision to pull the car in to fix it as we value our cars and drivers making it home safe. With a lighting fast 4 minute fix, we were back on track. This was unfortunately not fast enough as we had lost the lead and finished the Race In P4 Overall.
 
The 715 Blue Boxster had been running great but after losing a lap at the beginning due to a safety car and couple penalties we were happy to bring the car back P6 overall.
Post race tech conluded the Original P1 car was not legal and was moved back to P5, Pushing the Boxsters up to P3 and P5!
 
Thanks to all the Help we had in the pits pulling off flawless stops from Jake, Craig, Rich and Barry!
 
Thanks to Our Drivers Maor, Taylor, Chris, Chet, Jared, Gary, Micahel and Nelson for doing great on track!
 

 

We look forward to the Next race Watkins Glen International and VIR and have some seats available for the event! Contact If interested!

 

171799153_4324619637631858_4163023963372908726_n.jpeg

172124784_4324619860965169_5050529448538592275_n.jpeg

172436322_4324619657631856_6244231136154220263_n.jpeg

Edited by the5
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crap, had started typing quite a bit and now its zapped, lost *mumbles something about hating computers*   Deep breath, Im here, will get to a little race recapping, provide some answers, an

The Cobra is not dead. It was pulled apart this morning. No unibody or subframe damage. It appears to be cosmetic with a bent knuckle (which is easily fixed).   

Photo by Kurt Roussell  For more Daytona images visit. https://fastcarphotos.com/galleries/2021-events/2021-champcar-daytona-14-hour/

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, smitham32803 said:

Congratulations to team infinity.  We had a good weekend and had a great time.  We ended up with a 10th finish and 2nd in class, not bad for a C4 corvette that started 6 or 7 laps down.  
 

congratulations to everyone 

Was the start due to points? You were running very good lap times so I was wondering if you had an issue with the car or bad fuel burn and that was the reason you were a bit behind.

 

Congrats on the good finish.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, smitham32803 said:

Congratulations to team infinity.  We had a good weekend and had a great time.  We ended up with a 10th finish and 2nd in class, not bad for a C4 corvette that started 6 or 7 laps down.  
 

congratulations to everyone 

I noticed the 10 place finish, great work there.  Was it you guys that used to have trouble getting the full burn from the OEM tank due to pick up issues?

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, 67Mustang said:

I noticed the 10 place finish, great work there.  Was it you guys that used to have trouble getting the full burn from the OEM tank due to pick up issues?

 

1 hour ago, Bandit said:

Was the start due to points? You were running very good lap times so I was wondering if you had an issue with the car or bad fuel burn and that was the reason you were a bit behind.

 

Congrats on the good finish.


We are over 500 so we start in the hole from the start and try to work our way out.  We did have fuel issues in the past but now have surge tank so we can go about 1:45 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to everyone.  What a fun race!  The water spouts off Daytona Beach made everything even more exciting lol.

 

Our #15 Headquarter Automotive JEP Racing A Class Miata had a great battle with the Level One Miata for the first 12 hours.  It was fun swapping the lead with them back and forth.  We had a 2 lap lead with 2 hours to go and we lost the front brakes.  After a close encounter with another car in turn 6, I made the call to retire the car rather than risk getting someone seriously hurt.  

 

We have two gripes:

1.  The communication coming from race control to the officials on pit lane was unclear on the restart.  We wanted to keep the car in and refuel instead of go back out.  We asked three separate officials and were given three different answers.  We ended up going out behind the pace car (as we were 9th overall then)  and  then came in for fuel to be safe with the stewards.  However we were furious when we saw other cars did not go out and took essential a free pitstop while the pace car was out.  This was the preferred choice but were told we couldn't do it.  I wish this was addressed in the future.  We lost the race because our car broke but it would have been awful to lose the race because of poor communication.  

 

2.  We were passed multiple times under yellow.  We communicated to the officials and nothing was done.  We were also passed by 6 cars under the red flag literally right in front of start finish and nothing was done again.  Not sure what gives.  

 

Thanks for putting on a great event.  We had a blast and cant wait till we can get to the next one.   Also we have a lot of respect for the other teams and drivers out there.  This was the cleanest run at Daytona yet IMO.

 

Thanks, 

 

Jeronimo Esteve

#15 Headquarter Automotive JEP Racing Miata

b1905904-f3ec-4555-8e6f-e9ac2378d8f0.JPG

Edited by Notoriousjje
  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, krispykritter said:

I don't think you'll be seeing the crowd control cobra at Road America =( it ate a tire wall pretty good.  Alex said he thinks the frame may be tweaked.  It drove itself back in to the garage (and trailer) but it's a mess.

 

I kinda told Alex while we were waiting for tech that painting it was just asking for a bad day.  I might've cursed them =(

 

I have no idea what happened the the Riley corvette tho.

I said the same thing.   I bet 50% of r acecars that get repainted end up wrecked within the next 2 or 3 races....

 

It's bad juju for some reason.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Notoriousjje said:

Congrats to everyone.  What a fun race!  The water spouts off Daytona Beach made everything even more exciting lol.

 

Our #15 Headquarter Automotive JEP Racing A Class Miata had a great battle with the Level One Miata for the first 12 hours.  It was fun swapping the lead with them back and forth.  We had a 2 lap lead with 2 hours to go and we lost the front brakes.  After a close encounter with another car in turn 6, I made the call to retire the car rather than risk getting someone seriously hurt.  

 

We have two gripes:

1.  The communication coming from race control to the officials on pit lane was unclear on the restart.  We wanted to keep the car in and refuel instead of go back out.  We asked three separate officials and were given three different answers.  We ended up going out behind the pace car (as we were 9th overall then)  and  then came in for fuel to be safe with the stewards.  However we were furious when we saw other cars did not go out and took essential a free pitstop while the pace car was out.  This was the preferred choice but were told we couldn't do it.  I wish this was addressed in the future.  We lost the race because our car broke but it would have been awful to lose the race because of poor communication.  

 

2.  We were passed multiple times under yellow.  We communicated to the officials and nothing was done.  We were also passed by 6 cars under the red flag literally right in front of start finish and nothing was done again.  Not sure what gives.  

 

Thanks for putting on a great event.  We had a blast and cant wait till we can get to the next one.   Also we have a lot of respect for the other teams and drivers out there.  This was the cleanest run at Daytona yet IMO.

 

Thanks, 

 

Jeronimo Esteve

#15 Headquarter Automotive JEP Racing Miata

b1905904-f3ec-4555-8e6f-e9ac2378d8f0.JPG

Do you know that penalties are handed out after the race returns to green flag racing?  Sometimes it is a bunch of time later depending on how busy timing and scoring and the pitlane is.

 

In other words, do you know for sure those teams d idnt get penalties?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I said the same thing.   I bet 50% of r acecars that get repainted end up wrecked within the next 2 or 3 races....

 

It's bad juju for some reason.

 

Didn't @enginerd recently repaint his car?  Remind me to stay out of their way.

 

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Do you know that penalties are handed out after the race returns to green flag racing?  Sometimes it is a bunch of time later depending on how busy timing and scoring and the pitlane is.

 

In other words, do you know for sure those teams d idnt get penalties?

 

The teams were penalized after the race resumed.  It was a huge list. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Cobra is not dead. It was pulled apart this morning. No unibody or subframe damage. It appears to be cosmetic with a bent knuckle (which is easily fixed). 

 

  • Like 24
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Do you know that penalties are handed out after the race returns to green flag racing?  Sometimes it is a bunch of time later depending on how busy timing and scoring and the pitlane is.

 

In other words, do you know for sure those teams d idnt get penalties?

I'm not sure.  We reported the infractions and were told by the officials on pit lane that the flag marshalls did not report the incidents so nothing could be done

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lost and found - helmet in a bag.
If you lost your helmet and helmet bag at Daytona 2021. Please contact jimmie.letchworth@champcar.org with identifying I formation.

21 minutes ago, Snorman said:

The Cobra is not dead. It was pulled apart this morning. No unibody or subframe damage. It appears to be cosmetic with a bent knuckle (which is easily fixed). 

 

 Why are you on the internet. Go fix it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Notoriousjje said:

I'm not sure.  We reported the infractions and were told by the officials on pit lane that the flag marshalls did not report the incidents so nothing could be done

 

That's true. The corner workers have to report it. Unless they see it directly from the tower. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Notoriousjje said:

I'm not sure.  We reported the infractions and were told by the officials on pit lane that the flag marshalls did not report the incidents so nothing could be done

Don't waste your time trying to report flag infractions.  If the flag station sees it they will call it in and CC officials will black flag them.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Notoriousjje said:

We were passed multiple times under yellow.  We communicated to the officials and nothing was done.  We were also passed by 6 cars under the red flag literally right in front of start finish and nothing was done again.  Not sure what gives.  

 

Thanks for putting on a great event.  We had a blast and cant wait till we can get to the next one.   Also we have a lot of respect for the other teams and drivers out there.  This was the cleanest run at Daytona yet IMO.

 

Agree with the passing under yellow, particularly on the back straight towards the busstop.  Lots of folks even missed the flashing lights at the top of the bank!  We don't bother to report them though.

 

Also agree on the driving, I only saw a couple nasty moves out there and I'm not aware of any big crashes involving more than one car.  It was very clean for a Daytona race!

Edited by krispykritter
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Technical Advisory Committee
8 hours ago, Snorman said:

The Cobra is not dead. It was pulled apart this morning. No unibody or subframe damage. It appears to be cosmetic with a bent knuckle (which is easily fixed). 

 

Hell yeah!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

A few videos done processing:

 

My (and the team's) fastest lap:

 

 

Second fastest, Ray.  Also the second one of us to break the 2:30 barrier:

 

Third fastest, Sean:

 

And first safest, Bob:

 

Will have more to come.  Ray managed a pretty spectacular slide/almost spin/miraculous recovery while trying to chase down the Das Idiots VW.  Will get that posted up soon.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, the5 said:

After about the 4 hour mark the Silver 716 Boxster took the lead and held it until the 12 hour mark. After some light contact earlier in the day on the driver rear caused the rear Toe arm to become loose, the car became unsafe to drive. We had to make the unfortunate decision to pull the car in to fix it as we value our cars and drivers making it home safe. With a lighting fast 4 minute fix, we were back on track. This was unfortunately not fast enough as we had lost the lead and finished the Race In P4 Overall.

 

 

I've probably got some good video of that thing swaying all over the place in the evening - I was very hesitant to pass as the driver was clearly fighting to keep it on the track!  I saw yall bring it into the pit.  I'll try to dig up the video sometime this week.  He made a good call bringing it in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, krispykritter said:

 

I've probably got some good video of that thing swaying all over the place in the evening - I was very hesitant to pass as the driver was clearly fighting to keep it on the track!  I saw yall bring it into the pit.  I'll try to dig up the video sometime this week.  He made a good call bringing it in.

 

I would appreciate that! It was a vary hard call to make knowing we would loose the race but Not worth it for a Trophy!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Our #15 Headquarter Automotive JEP Racing A Class Miata had a great battle with the Level One Miata for the first 12 hours.  It was fun swapping the lead with them back and forth.  We had a 2 lap lead with 2 hours to go and we lost the front brakes.  After a close encounter with another car in turn 6, I made the call to retire the car rather than risk getting someone seriously hurt.

 

Yeah, you had us covered Geronimo. We had brake issues also, mostly due to my negligence. I had zero confidence at every brake zone. You guys did very well and will certainly be a team to watch at every event. 

 

I was behind you when the car spun pretty violently into T5. Should be some good video when it all finishes processing.

 

Thank you to the ChampCar staff and all the volunteers that made this race run as smoothly as it did.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Infinite Loop Racing had a great race this year.  We've been working hard to keep/make the Contour fast enough to be relevent in this ever-tougher series, and it's definitely paid off in the last couple races.

 

Obviously, last year's Daytona event did not go anywhere near how we'd planned, but this year went almost as smoothly as we could've hoped for.  The driving was much more....um....endurance focused than in the past two years.  Might have just been our position on track, but I only saw one or two questionable moves (from someone that wasn't me!) while I was on track.  There were a few PUY that I saw as well, but they weren't necessarily unsafe, but still not a good thing.  Mostly on the back stretch heading into the bus stop.

 

Every one of our drivers went out and beat their old best times by around 6 to 8 seconds.  The car handled great and ran very well.  Our top speed is still limited to around 120/122 if we don't get a good draft, but we're so much faster through the infield that our lap times dropped considerably.

 

I personally ran a 2:26.590, which is 5.7 seconds faster than my old best time, and more than six seconds faster than our best lap last year at Daytona.

 

The only issue we had is losing 3rd and 5th gears around 5 pm.  Fortunately, that turned out to only be the shift cables, which we got swapped out in under 30 minutes and sent Sean back out for the rest of his stint.  Unfortunately, it dropped us from 25th to 43rd =(

 

One of the ChampCar officials walked by and said "Y'know, if the rear wheels were pushing the car, you wouldn't have that problem."

 

WE KNOW ALREADY! 

 

Congrats to Ed and @Team Infiniti on a hard fought victory, and thanks to CC and the volunteers for a great event.  Sorry to Chelsey (and @Bill Strong) for pissing off Daytona on Friday - that was an error in judgement on my part.  I swear, I don't usually go looking for trouble, but can't blame anyone else for that one!

 

I had a blast running around with the StarT Racing miata (@NGO28 @BeastZ06) now that they've kept it running for a full race!  Got a good view of your spin in turn 1.  Whoever was driving around 930 PM finally showed me how I was doing turn 3 wrong. 

 

Also, the 719 white miata (C U Boulder?) and I swapped places back and forth a ton of times between 1230 and 2.  We were evenly matched and each lap the opposite managed to squeeze by the other, then we did it all again the following lap.  I had a ton of fun. 

Edited by krispykritter
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...