2021 RVA Graphics & Wraps Daytona Beach 14-hour race results

Bill Strong

3 hours ago, Hurljohn said:

It still hurts too much to discuss...but yeah, what Roger said...

Well, your team was my pick for the race. Either you let me down OR I cursed you from the start. Either way: Same result. Tough race...

Edited by Doc
  • Like 5

51 minutes ago, Clifford Beisler said:

We have been there.  It sucks to blow up a fresh build.  Look at the good side of things.  Other than the motor change, there is not much race prep to do before the championship.  Good luck!

41 minutes ago, Hurljohn said:

It was my motor...although we have changed a motor the night before the race for Rodger as well!

Yeah, I was just along for the ride.  I really hate it for John and Chris, they put a ton of work in the car.  

And that is the motor still in the car, let's hope she has magic to get to the front this weekend!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Rodger Coan-Burningham said:

Yeah, I was just along for the ride.  I really hate it for John and Chris, they put a ton of work in the car.  

And that is the motor still in the car, let's hope she has magic to get to the front this weekend!

Lets not! Sorry boys but northerns are ruff. Just saying

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RocketHamRacing said:

But there is the tremendous sense of relief when you discover it's something trivial. So when Skip pitted after the first two green laps because the car was basically missing on one or more cylinders, we all had that sinking feeling. We pulled the coil packs off and found a little gift from the blizzard at Road Atlanta - about 2" of water in the coil pack/plug holes on 3-6. A 10 minute pit stop later (and a quick dry with the air gun) and we were back in business. Lost 4 laps, but it's a marathon, not a sprint. 

20210410_2084_kurtroussell.jpg

So you mean to tell me that a team full of rocket scientists and developers didn't realize that those vents at the right rear of the hood would put water into the spark plug holes? 

Act Surprised GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

As someone with a vented hood on my nice e36, I've done this before.  

Congrats on the race!  We'd check on you guys though out the race, was nice to see you guys claw your way back.  Congrats to @Team Infiniti heck of a race!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
7 hours ago, gundy said:

I went this year to only spectate, while sitting in the bleachers at the horseshoe there were 3 separate FCY's, I saw so much passing under yellow that the one poor flagman could not possibly have called them all in, one car actually passed 5 cars between the flag station and turn in of the curve. The staff does a good job but I think they are under staffed to handle 100 + cars. 

Was that you that came up to me when I was doing sound measurements?

4 hours ago, Floridiot said:

Did you happen to get that punt and spin on video?  That may have been us and just want to confirm what I think happened.  All our in-car shows is the wall and a cloud of dirt...

I don’t believe so. I might have it on video but it was late in the race and our in-car died as our battery pack died. 

I think the champcar video is always saving so it might be in there. I’m not really going to look was simply a statement. 

5 hours ago, Justin9 said:

Thanks Champcar Staff and Volunteers for a fun weekend.

Great finish for the Speedway Creation's team!!! Sorry we couldn't share the pits with you but the over- zealous tech guy pointed out three welds on the cage that he didn't like. After we went to the garage and found a guy (thanks AJ) willing to weld up the 3 spots that he pointed out, we ran back to tech only for him to point out 4 new spots he didn't like. By now it's 6:55 and the yellow garage is closing. I guess when we sailed thru tech last year and raced at Daytona AND Sebring, we were wrongly led to believe that our cage was OK. Anyway, so we loaded up and went back to GA. First time in 8 years we missed this race. Congrats to Ed, who really is what Champcar is all about.

• Sad 8

48 minutes ago, dinanm3atl said:

I don’t believe so. I might have it on video but it was late in the race and our in-car died as our battery pack died. 

I think the champcar video is always saving so it might be in there. I’m not really going to look was simply a statement. 

Oh, ok, that wasn’t us.  We got hit 2hrs 45 mins in going into the braking zone of the second horseshoe.  Spent the next 6hrs pulling the frame straight, but we did get back out there!  She’s a tough old girl (#51, FloridiotMotorsports Porsche 944).

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Mazmarc said:

Our #15 Headquarter Automotive JEP Racing A Class Miata had a great battle with the Level One Miata for the first 12 hours.  It was fun swapping the lead with them back and forth.  We had a 2 lap lead with 2 hours to go and we lost the front brakes.  After a close encounter with another car in turn 6, I made the call to retire the car rather than risk getting someone seriously hurt.

Yeah, you had us covered Geronimo. We had brake issues also, mostly due to my negligence. I had zero confidence at every brake zone. You guys did very well and will certainly be a team to watch at every event. 

I was behind you when the car spun pretty violently into T5. Should be some good video when it all finishes processing.

Thanks Mark.  You are a class act.  Thank you for helping us before the race and for going out of your way to welcome us.  It was an honor to be able to mix it up with you guys.  We hope to be able to do it again soon.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jab31169 said:

So you mean to tell me that a team full of rocket scientists and developers didn't realize that those vents at the right rear of the hood would put water into the spark plug holes? 

Let's just say that we didn't expect THAT MUCH water from SNOW in the south...

But yeah - kinda a smart guy duh in hindsight... Add another item to the (already long and always growing) checklist...

You guys gonna get Fifi ready for Barber this year?

Edited by RocketHamRacing
  • Like 1

Great race.  Thank you Champcar officials and all staff for putting on another great Daytona event.  Here are a few old pics of the 801 car to clarify some confusion I noticed in the broadcast as well as around the paddock throughout the weekend.  This car has been running this event since the first ever Chumpcar race at Daytona back when a "crapcan" was the spec car.  As the series has evolved we have tried to keep our effort as Chump as possible.  The 802 v-8 car was sold two years ago and now lives in Ohio.  803 was a gold e34 which was sold five years ago.  The 804 car that finished fourth overall this year is the sister team car to 801  and a new build that made its debut last year at Daytona.  I like to change the team names every year for the sponsors as well as to keep everyone guessing a bit but perhaps this technique has been too effective.   We are a local team made up of local drivers who love Daytona and love having fun together at the track.

801 BMW 535i underwent a roof-removal surgical procedure this year as an experiment to gain a better top speed on the banking.  We put a taller rear end in the car in expectation of more speed and (perhaps expectations were a little high) so the car wasn't actually any faster up top.  Still planning on working on that for next year. 

Congrats to the Infinti team for their well-deserved win!

Thank you again Champcar people and all track and corner staff.

chumpcar 2015 018.JPG

victory lane 033.JPG

IMG_5472.JPG

IMG_1303.JPG

IMG_1246.JPG

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, RocketHamRacing said:

You guys gonna get Fifi ready for Barber this year?

Haven’t you heard? They all have mountain bikes now and they ride around in their shiny spandex pants. Not sure that’s a good idea riding around Alabama in those....

• Haha 5

John Allen Special ChampCar Team Endures 14 Hours for Victory at Daytona

Daytona International Speedway has long been known for endurance sports car racing and the John
Allen Special ChampCar Team claimed victory in one of those races this past Saturday.

Competing in the RVA Graphics and Wraps Daytona Beach 14-Hour, the quintet driver lineup –
consisting of Lester “Les” Epps Jr., Zdarvko “Z” Miric, Halston Pitman, Justin Lipson and Christian Listro –
persevered in the B Class of the ChampCar Endurance Series to finish first in the category and 13th
overall.

The No. 80 2007 Mini Cooper S overcame what was a concerning issue around the six-hour mark when
safety sensors in the car began setting off during Les’ stint. However, with the help of Z – an engineer
bringing experience from BMW and MINI USA – the yaw sensor and corresponding lights in the car were
reset after detecting no issues.

“When Lester got in the car, he ended up getting a warning message on the dashboard and when he
came in, I was able to plug in and check what the faults were,” said Z. “It seemed there was just a
temporary glitch with the lateral acceleration sensor in the car and we were able to clear the fault and
send him on his way.”

For Les, who was competing in only his second ChampCar race and for the first time at Daytona, he
stayed calm throughout the situation. “Justin handed the car over to me and he had done some really quick times,” said Les. “Before I got in the car, my mom asked me ‘Are you worried, are you scared, are you nervous?’ I’m not new to
competition, so I told her ‘No, I’m 100 percent exactly in my moment. I know I’m exactly what I’m
supposed to be doing in the universe right now.’ “I like to be the clutch player and come in and do exactly what I need to do, so it was nerve wracking. We came in and ended up fixing it, we hammered down and kept going.”

Continuing on, the team posted a best lap of two minutes, 25.398 seconds over the course of the
enduro. The time was nearly ten seconds behind the quickest overall lap of the second-place finisher,
proving that the team’s endurance truly prevailed over speed.

“I believe strongly that success in life, generally and in motorsport, is all about your process and sticking
to it, taking a backseat to some of it and viewing it,” said Z, who also gives credit to his family’s support.
“Everyone stayed calm the whole time and every time the car came in for a pit stop, it was executed
exactly the same. Just like baking a cookie, just follow the recipe and get the same results. The team
found the recipe that works and they stuck to it and I think consistency is the key to their success.”

Additional credit from the team goes to sponsorship from FCP Euro, PowerflexUSA, Flyin’ Wrench and
Sentinel by Candelaria Racing Products, and also support from MINI Master Tech and team mechanic
Jahir Saavedra for a role in the team’s victory.

CGP_0453.jpg

Edited by dinanm3atl
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

I'm just happy to be physically okay. Thanks to the safety crew at Daytona.

Congrats to Ed/Team Infinity and RAD on the great finish with a pair of brand new boxsters.

What happened, Paul?  Were y'all the fire we heard about early in the day?

Just now, Slugworks Paul said:

Unfortunately. If there's something to learn, don't ever trust any sort of quick disconnect fitting.

Very sorry to hear that.  Glad you got out okay, that is most important, but doesn't make the rest any better.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slugworks Paul said:

Unfortunately. If there's something to learn, don't ever trust any sort of quick disconnect fitting.

Quick disconnect oil line or fuel?

I saw the picture of the front of the car covered in ABC powder, was wondering what happened.  Hopefully a full report is in the works.