2021 RVA Graphics & Wraps Daytona Beach 14-hour race results

1 hour ago, Ian said:

Quick disconnect oil line or fuel?

I saw the picture of the front of the car covered in ABC powder, was wondering what happened.  Hopefully a full report is in the works.

Just watching the Live broadcast today, they mentioned fuel

Edited by Team Infiniti

5 hours ago, Jab31169 said:

looking like it, you gonna bring green car?

That's the plan - it's either Barber or Sebring. We LOVE Sebring, but Barber being home we generally feel obligated. Then we break something and don't finish Sunday (haven't finished a Sunday at Barber in 5 years 😞 )

5 hours ago, Rodger Coan-Burningham said:

Haven’t you heard? They all have mountain bikes now and they ride around in their shiny spandex pants. Not sure that’s a good idea riding around Alabama in those....

Pedal harder ... I hear banjos.... 🙂

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Slugworks Paul said:

Unfortunately. If there's something to learn, don't ever trust any sort of quick disconnect fitting.

Did the car have OE quick-connect style fittings that failed or was this an aftermarket solution? Just curious as some modern cars DO have what I would consider quick connect (hose clamp-less) connections.

Our contour has the oem style Ford ones.  I think a lot of fords from the last couple decades do.

Out of curiosity - does anyone know/remember if we were peg-legging it through the corners out there?  Kinda looks like we were on three wheels in this shot from Inactiv:

image.png.741e4e007b9891ceea6071c679066cda.png

Edited by krispykritter
  • Like 1

For those of you that were not there, the Black Flag that stopped the race was for Daytona's lightning protocol. Any strike within an eight mile radius brings a 30 min shutdown.

All personal was ordered to take shelter. For most of us, that meant the garages. Not long after that, a micro burst, or whatever, came thru. Not uncommon for Florida. What was uncommon was that it never rained. Not real rain. Just some of Hurljohns tears.

Eventually Chelsey announced that teams could make their way to pit lane to salvage their tents. I think the quote was "You will understand when you see it".

Did anyone's tent NOT get damaged??

Pit lane damage_2.jpg

Pit lane damage_4.jpg

Pit lane damage_6.jpg

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Mazmarc said:

Not long after that, a micro burst, or whatever, came thru. Not uncommon for Florida. What was uncommon was that it never rained. Not real rain. Just some of Hurljohns tears.

🤣🤣🤣

21 minutes ago, Mazmarc said:

First tent  lasted 10 years.

Second tent lasted less than a year.  We lowered ours and tied it down, but every rope broke except for one.  That last one is the only thing that kept it from joining the many others in the field across from pit road.

Will be gettin another cheapo and hopefully we'll get at least a few years out of this one.

• ChampCar Staff
On 4/11/2021 at 12:08 PM, Bill Strong said:

within the next 24 hour. 

Interesting. I appreciate how you made it sound like you are actually the one who does that....

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, DuncanDana said:

Interesting. I appreciate how you made it sound like you are actually the one who does that....

I like this guy, I hope he hangs around a while.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mazmarc said:

For those of you that were not there, the Black Flag that stopped the race was for Daytona's lightning protocol. Any strike within an eight mile radius brings a 30 min shutdown.

All personal was ordered to take shelter. For most of us, that meant the garages. Not long after that, a micro burst, or whatever, came thru. Not uncommon for Florida. What was uncommon was that it never rained. Not real rain. Just some of Hurljohns tears.

Eventually Chelsey announced that teams could make their way to pit lane to salvage their tents. I think the quote was "You will understand when you see it".

Pit lane damage_2.jpg

Pit lane damage_4.jpg

Pit lane damage_6.jpg

I think my ABCCanopy survived? (you can find them on Amazon)  Structurally, it was fine, but gas splashed all over the canopy.  Have to pull it out of the bag soon and see if the gas damaged the fabric.  To be clear, the canopy was still standing with gas dripping off of it.  Not sure how that happened but the Daytona safety guys were not amused with us. It was a major spill.

My $99 walmart special was quickly destroyed in 2019 at Daytona during that red flag for weather. It wasn't even worth taking it home to attempt a repair...

I think having that center structure is key to getting them to keep standing during bad weather.

What a weekend!  Daring Greatly Racing made it's first appearance at Daytona and had so much fun that we couldn't contain our excitement and blew our hood off on the front straight.  We are just happy that nobody got hurt and we didn't ruin any other teams weekend. 

We were on our fourth driver, 17th overall, 7th in class when the hood failed.  During our first two stops I found the rubber cover that goes between the core support and the radiator laying on top of the intake.  I was worried that the part might end up getting trapped in the belts so I took it off at stop #2.  Engine temps remained good so I didn't think much about the under hood pressures.  

The hood folded in the front middle area and took the hood latches with it.  The latches were still attached to the pins and stayed in place on the core support while the latch bezels remained in the hood.  I don't think any two hood latches could have survived that.  We are going to leave some more structure on the hood this time and added one more latch in the middle and also we will be improving our ducting in front of the radiator.  

I also want to say it was great meeting a number of new people, some that I have talked with on the forum and some I have not.  I get very stressed out the few days before an event all the way up the start.  Once we are out there running I calm down a little, but not much.  When I got in the car and got settled in, I was the most relaxed I had been all week.   This sense of calm came over me and I realized that I didn't want to be anywhere else doing anything else at that exact moment. This moment helped me to realize why I do this and why I spend the time and money and go through the stress and sleepless nights before we race.   I was very much considering selling my stuff and either renting seats or just being a fan but that 45 minutes of pure enjoyment has made me reconsider.  I truly enjoy racing with each and everyone of you  (so far) and thank you for contributing to my love for this sport.  

Contracts to @Team Infiniti on their overall win!  And thank you for keeping me entertained in the tech line!

See you at Autobahn!

Daring_Grealty_Racing_at_Daytona_1.jpg

Lots_of_Air.png

There_goes_the_hood.jpg

Broken_Hood_2.jpg

Edited by hcsi99
  • Like 10