2021 RA championship. Displacementgate 2.0 and compression talk

3 hours ago, mcoppola said:

Show me a factory service manual that sets a limit on how much a cylinder head can be decked. SMH 

It won't take me too long, most factory manual's have minimum limits listed for block deck height, and cylinder head minimum height if you really what I'll look it up tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, Bandit said:

"Put in the work!" says the guy that runs an oversize fuel cell. 🤣

Listening to that it is impossible to feel bad for him.

Buddy, he pays people to "put in the work"......if he was actually there at 3 am doing anything besides yelling I would be surprised

I know his pro driver that did most of the race was back at the hotel asleep before 10...he told me.

Edited by hotchkis23
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

Come on folks I have 10 pages on this thread by 6 pm as a little game with our team    We are only on 4.   There has to more ways to banter this about.   What if the moon Is aligned with Jupiter?  That always changes the volume of a tank.   

Did you win? 

Seems like it? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I just searched "Tuttle" in the forum. Let's just ban them. They have been a thorn in our club for some time.  Big budget and cheats a lot.  Not the first time. Ban Tuttle for a year or more. MCM, Riley and Tuttle just go away. Our racing series should be much better off without them. $10k of there entry fees will not be missed. Our club management needs to start doing something or we will all get frustrated and go elsewhere. Two races two cheaters. Hope this isn't a trend. I guess I am like the hundred of racers here. Just keep racing my own race and let the cheaters pass us. What a shame they will ruin a good thing for us all. The few will make it harder for us to pass inspection because now Champ Car thinks all of us are cheating. Think of the extra time we dont have already during tech inspection. Lot of extra work for management to look for the cheating now too. You cheat your gone. Zero tolerance. Hope someone from the club is listening. It is going to 12 pages of complaints. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Gkuhn41 said:

For the first time we had the trailer packed and ready to go BEFORE the car got off the track

This was my favorite part. 

Hopefully we will see you at Autobahn!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 333 Kinkle said:

Ban Tuttle for a year or more. MCM, Riley and Tuttle just go away. Our racing series should be much better off without them. $10k of there entry fees will not be missed.

There were only 50 some cars at RA (Only 38 started Sunday). Far below past attendance. I don't know that running off teams is a great idea.

I'm guessing Tuttle will fix his fuel cells. Just like Riley is fixing the Vette to match the new VPI.

Running off teams is not how to fix things. Enforcing the rules and not playing favorites is how you fix things.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Gkuhn41 said:

12 Pages not one report. Here we go.

Two Brothers had a rather uneventful weekend lol.

Saturday I started the race somewhere around P10. Almost got ran over at that fabulous start. I put in my 2 hours only incident was my first time hitting fresh oil as i had to be in the first 5 cars behind premium dudes. Turn into 6 and the car heads straight ohhhhh boy. Did some agricultural racing but no damage. Was able to send some flyers after the fuel we saved. The rest of the day went with out much problem until the end. With about 30 minutes left Matt was driving and picked up a odd feeling in the left side of the car. Said it just felt weird and was making a noise. We talked and running P6 if we came in and looked it over quick enough we might be able to get out before MiElan got past us. We were wrong, oh well we wanted to make sure we didn’t ruin our shot at a chance to compete for the Chip. We came home P7. After we found or left rear with a screw in it and down to 12lbs, and also the front strut worked loose (the noise he heard).

Sunday Matt started, we decided we were going to send the car as hard as we could for 7 hours and see what happened. Matt set his fastest lap ever running with Crank Yankees and the 901 car. Mike got in and was making what i think were his best laps ever in the car, seeing the progress he was making we decided to keep him in as long as possible who cares in the big picture about time if a guy is sending it and doing well let him do his thing. Great work on Mike! I took third stint and tried to drive qualifying laps for my hour and a half. On the last lap i though i would have enough room on the outside of the little VW to sneak by in the carousel. He washed out a bit and I didn’t have enough reserve wheel left and shot off drivers right. Totally my fault for sending it hard on the outside so i apologize to him and the red BMW for probably giving you a heart attack. No damage thankfully and i handed the car over to Andy. Andy went out and ripped great laps for 1:15 and then said the voltage light was flashing again, and the car wasn’t quite up to full song. With only 10 minutes left we just told him to go super easy and coast to the finish where we finished P6.

For the first time we had the trailer packed and ready to go BEFORE the car got off the track so we could load it up and get Matt on his way since he had family matters at home to tend to. We loaded the car and sent him on his way, grabbed a case of beer and watched the show.

Overall it was a successful weekend for us. We came to our home track and completed as many laps as i think we could have given the circumstances. Were happy with a  7th and a 6th. We were pit neighbors with MiElan and shared a great number of conversations over the weekend, shared several beers with folks and even had some “real Alabama beer” thanks to the Birmingham guys. I appreciate the work all the volunteers  put in and the work Champcar put in to allow us onto the track. We can all piss and moan about whatever but at the end of the day we need to be out here to have some fun and our group had that, so thanks to everyone who helped us along the way.

We have some work to do but were hoping we see everyone @ Autobahn in a few months!

I'm waiting for the official thread for making a race report.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ian said:

I'm waiting for the official thread for making a race report.

Jesus didn’t even realize that this isn’t the official post lol I’ll copy and past it over there then!

This forum doesn't appear to have an official only mandate. That's the Race Events forum, not the Race Results.

If in error, Bill can move this and start an official one if he's done absorbing F bombs from Tuttle.

After spending the last three days testing gas gensets in Texas and then reading this thread, I almost thought it was about the 405 or something lmao....  Missing a golden opportunity Champcar Outlaws on Discovery Channel Thursdays at 3AM.......

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, chip said:

I agree that on the race start the P1 car would hold the speed and keep the pack together.

On a pace car restart, the leader would get to go once the pace car is on pit lane

Because Champcar starts single file it is exactly the same as a single file restart. The guy on pole can go anytime after the safety car is on pit lane. No passing until the green falls

Most other series start 2 wide on the initial start, in that case both front row cars should start somewhat together.  

Edited by skierman64
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bandit said:

This forum doesn't appear to have an official only mandate. That's the Race Events forum, not the Race Results.

If in error, Bill can move this and start an official one if he's done absorbing F bombs from Tuttle.

Theres no mandate.  There's just a format for the official post race thread that includes results in the OP.  This thread is great for all the discussion regarding what I'm going to dub tuttle displacementgate 2.0.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ray Franck said:

THERE IS NO FUEL OCTANE RULE. There is no problem here with whatever fuel you want to use, again not a problem.  As a board please focus on a real problem allowing 6' long 3" diameter fill necks that hold 2.8 gallons of fuel at no penalty or regulation. Also it is dangerous as a homemade fill should never be allowed on track full of fuel. Please pass the submitted petition requiring the overflow drain on all cell and altered fill neck cars.

I just had to disqualify a team for having .7 gallon over capacity in his cell, his car has a 7" long fill neck as he opens his trunk and fuels directly to the cell. Meanwhile another team that may have a legal cell capacity uses a fill neck that holds 2.8 gallons rides on skirting a gray area it is not right.

#drainthefuelneck

To Ray’s point there are “stock tank” cars in the series that would fail a pump out test big time. Even without ballooning tanks, modified vents, and long fillers can allow a car to hold a lot more fuel than they are rated for.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Yup.  Troy was on point in the 918 car.  He went when the pacecar peeled off.

Tuttle was behind in 2nd.  He just didn't go.  He bunched the entire field up badly and then went closer to the start finish line.

It was really weird and disadvantaged most people.

Here is what happened at the start from my perspective.  I expected to be passed by at least 4 cars by T1, the tuttle twins, MK and the BMW, basically the 4 cars behind me as we had the lowest hp by far. My entire concern was to minimize the damage.

I stayed behind the pace car, it pulled into the pits, I rolled onto the throttle, and saw tuttle come with me and then stop in my mirror. My thought was, dang, they already broke, that was fast, but expected. Halfway up the hill my team radios that the starter pulled the yellow flags, as I crest the hill I see no yellows and WOT, we are racing. I look back and see no one, look forward, clear track, back, still no one, I do this back and forth a lot. The first car, a green blip at this point, I assume is the mk motorsports team.

Now I am on bran new tires, not scrubbed in on a very cold track, in first place by like 10 seconds. I have zero confidence in the grip level.  I just about Sh%t myself and started to think, I can not be the guy who gets a great lead at the start of the national championship and go off all by myself on the first lap like a total dumb#$$. I drove conservative to say the least and MK and others pass me shortly. I do get up to speed later in the stint and make my way up to the field.

I have to say I had an amazing battle, back and forth, with Andrew for a good hour and half. He had more power and I had better brakes. I knew he had chatter on Friday practice and on the 5th lap I went to pass on the right side and saw the front wheel vibrating badly. I was like, holy hell, that is really bad, I guess they did not fix it, that sucks.  It was a really fun back and forth and we chatted after with big smiles and those are the memories I cherish after a race, the battle and great driving. Congrats to them as they deserve with win driving well and through issues.

• Like 8

• Technical Advisory Committee
12 hours ago, hotchkis23 said:

Ray, I appreciate your thankless job.  You listened to my complaints about the plastic they were using and I feel like we had an understanding.  The way the rule book is written saying most direct route, well that falls on tech to say a 6ft. 3" fuel tube is unsafe and then point out what you feel is the most direct route.  The only complaint I would have is if a team is using the stock location and the cell is located in the stock location as well, but that could be your call to make.  You guys get the burden of not being everybodies friends when it comes to the rule book, I do not envy you for that.

Thank you.

If you go back I insisted a team remove their 6' × 3" neck, they complained it went to the boss was given to the TAC, board and the long big fill was deamed OK. 

I am not against relocation of fills to get them away from driver, brakes, or exaust. If the fuel overflow drain rule is put in it won't matter what size fill is used   Trying to pack fuel in will take more time to drain before closing, and thats when other things can be done to the car. Also will decrease on track fuel spillage,  imho.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, Slugworks Paul said:

For goodness sake could you at least do your math right when you are trying to make a point? lol

I am so sorry Paul and to the membership. I was recalling when my son, Conner & Huggy figured it up a year or so ago and I recon I misspoke the number. 

16 hours ago, skierman64 said:

Similar to getting yelled at by the CC staff for holding the next fuel jug to hand off the fueler from the cold side of the pit in the middle of the fuel stop.  The staff enforcing non-existent rules mid race.  

12 minutes ago, Ray Franck said:

Thank you.

If you go back I insisted a team remove their 6' × 3" neck, they complained it went to the boss was given to the TAC, board and the long big fill was deamed OK. 

Hold on there big guy, you can take us out of that sentence. Maybe Andrew or Ben or Drew will remember differently but we didn’t ok that when we were asked. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Rodger Coan-Burningham said:

Hold on there big guy, you can take us out of that sentence. Maybe Andrew or Ben or Drew will remember differently but we didn’t ok that when we were asked. 

If I remember correctly a picture of a BMW that had a 6' neck was discussed and as it was stock from the factory that way, that was the max approved and submitted 

3 minutes ago, Ray Franck said:

If I remember correctly a picture of a BMW that had a 6' neck was discussed and as it was stock from the factory that way, that was the max approved and submitted 

I would love to see that picture- don't know of any BMW that races that has a stock 6' filler neck.  The e30 is about 3' though, but I'm sure we can make it 6' 🤣...

Thanks Ray!

• Haha 1

• Bandit changed the title to 2021 RA championship. Displacementgate 2.0 and compression talk
  • Bill Strong locked this topic