2021 RA championship. Displacementgate 2.0 and compression talk

2 minutes ago, enginerd said:

You should request the rules be followed. Ask a tech official to open it. Every time my car is in impound the hood and trunk get opened. Trunk takes a few minutes to open (it doesn’t have hinges and requires me to remove 6 bolts to get it open) but I always do. I agree with you, anyone not doing this should be required to comply no matter how cumbersome. 

I wasn't referring to your car. You weren't at RA when we won last year. 

• Technical Advisory Committee
2 minutes ago, Snorman said:

Yes he was, you only won because the clutch broke in the car he was driving. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Snorman said:

I was there... my car wasn’t ;)

Also, I wasn’t saying “you’re wrong, my trunk is always open”. I was saying “you’re right, my trunk is always open (even though it takes more than popping a latch and lifting to open it)”

Edited by enginerd

I don’t understand this discussion of angle the car sits. Does that affect how much fuel it holds? You can sit the car on the bumper and the cell holds what it holds. If you pump more out than it is supposed to have it’s over the limit. If you screwed up measuring it or had it on jack stands at an odd angle that’s on you. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Rodger Coan-Burningham said:

I don’t understand this discussion of angle the car sits. Does that affect how much fuel it holds? You can sit the car on the bumper and the cell holds what it holds. If you pump more out than it is supposed to have it’s over the limit. If you screwed up measuring it or had it on jack stands at an odd angle that’s on you. 

The rule should be written so the maximum is the maximum, regardless of the angle the car sits. If you're obviously trying to manipulate that in impound to your advantage, you could and should be asked to change the angle, or put the car back on the ground.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

The rule should be written so the maximum is the maximum, regardless of the angle the car sits. If you're obviously trying to manipulate that in impound to your advantage, you could and should be asked to change the angle, or put the car back on the ground.

You should have been here, awesome weekend. Hate you missed it. 

10 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

I actually believe that you should not get any allowance from a fuel cell.  If my old Miata held 12.7 gallons and I put in a cell, it also should hold 12.7 gallons-maybe with a .5 allowance or something.  Allowing cell'd cars more gas raises the costs of racing for everyone who then have to add cells to keep up.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Jer said:

I actually believe that you should not get any allowance from a fuel cell.  If my old Miata held 12.7 gallons and I put in a cell, it also should hold 12.7 gallons-maybe with a .5 allowance or something.  Allowing cell'd cars more gas raises the costs of racing for everyone who then have to add cells to keep up.

You're not wrong, but hard to put that back in pandora's box now. I suppose you could just make everyone displace back to stock capacity, but that would be ripe for cheating.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

You're not wrong, but hard to put that back in pandora's box now. I suppose you could just make everyone displace back to stock capacity, but that would be ripe for cheating.

Of course it’s more complex. Teams have built cars based on that rule so its not in our interest to try to change that back. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

Brian is now claiming a displacement ball cracked, allowing fuel into it.  I'll let you all discuss that claim.  :)

• Haha 11

Just now, Jer said:

Brian is now claiming a displacement ball cracked, allowing fuel into it.  I'll let you all discuss that claim.  :)

I don't see that going anywhere anyway, the responsibility falls on him to ensure the condition of his equipment and his legality.

He's scrambling like an elementary school kid caught with their hand in the cookie jar. It's a bit sad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Slugworks Paul said:

I don't see that going anywhere anyway, the responsibility falls on him to ensure the condition of his equipment and his legality.

He's scrambling like an elementary school kid caught with their hand in the cookie jar. It's a bit sad.

To quote an old friend, if you "accidently" put R comps on, well you still cheated.  

• Like 1

Just now, hotrod said:

One displacement ball is .6 gallons?

He's saying publicly (on his Facebook page) that the total was 20.0, and a ball was 1 gallon, so he really only put in 19 (plus the cracked ball).  I have heard from multiple sources it was 20.5.  

7 minutes ago, Jer said:

Years ago I considered the viability of adding small holes in displacement blocks to slowly meter fuel into the usable volume during a stint. They would be small enough that a quick fill and dump capacity test wouldn’t have time for them to slowly fill up so it would show an artificially low volume. This would only help with increasing capacity of the first stint since a fuel stop wouldn’t be long enough to refill the blocks and make use of the ‘extra’ volume. 

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, enginerd said:

I considered the viability of adding small holes in displacement blocks to slowly meter fuel into the usable volume during a stint. They would be small enough that a quick fill and dump capacity test wouldn’t have time for them to slowly fill up so it would show an artificially low volume. This would only help with increasing capacity of the first stint since a fuel stop wouldn’t be long enough to refill the blocks and make use of the ‘extra’ volume. 

genius!  LOL

2 hours ago, petawawarace said:

Jacking the car up would not be legal per the rules. That should be considered "work" and not allowed during refueling. 

You could jack the car up before fueling. Nothing in the rules prohibits that.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Years ago I considered the viability of adding small holes in displacement blocks to slowly meter fuel into the usable volume during a stint. They would be small enough that a quick fill and dump capacity test wouldn’t have time for them to slowly fill up so it would show an artificially low volume. This would only help with increasing capacity of the first stint since a fuel stop wouldn’t be long enough to refill the blocks and make use of the ‘extra’ volume. 

This is why we cant have nice things!  Lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Jer said:

He's saying publicly (on his Facebook page) that the total was 20.0, and a ball was 1 gallon, so he really only put in 19 (plus the cracked ball).  I have heard from multiple sources it was 20.5.  

So he was 1.6 gallons over capacity. Displacement balls are anywhere from .140 to half a gallon. He lost more than one if his claim is true. But a busted ball is still an advantage and shouldn't be considered as an excuse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hotrod said:

So he was 1.6 gallons over capacity. Displacement balls are anywhere from .140 to half a gallon. He lost more than one if his claim is true. But a busted ball is still an advantage and shouldn't be considered as an excuse.

Maybe one cracked on Saturday so he took them all out for the Sunday race to fix the problem. 😆

• Haha 2

• Bandit changed the title to 2021 RA championship. Displacementgate 2.0 and compression talk
  • Bill Strong locked this topic