2021 Road America Spring - The National Championship

So let me sum our championship efforts with a picture or two. Car ran great until it didn't, but that motor had a good life as it was at its 167th hour of junkyard fame!

IMG_1849.jpg

IMG_1848.jpg

IMG_1846.jpg

Edited by 55mini
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

23 minutes ago, LuckyKid said:

Transmission - gone

Differential - smoked

Electrical system - fried

And now...

Motor- toast

Thanks Road America!

Screenshot_20210422-151952_DEPSTECH.jpg

20210422_142125.jpg

I don’t feel so bad anymore, we only lost a transmission and blew another rod bearing. Lol

• Sad 3

9 minutes ago, Ronh911 said:

I don’t feel so bad anymore, we only lost a transmission and blew another rod bearing. Lol

Wasn't that a new fresh motor?      Road America is really hard on stuff no matter what size it is.

VRG race report.

Saturday

918 started the race in a SPECTACULAR way. Lol Ran near the front for most of the race until my fast guest driver decided to ignore the bright orange light labeled “low fuel”.  He then ran out of gas and had to be towed back to the pits.  If it weren’t for that with the added laps Tuttle took we could have won that race(5th)😢

959 ended up doing well in only her 2nd race, unfortunately we had a transmission issue that initially kept us from having 5th gear then eventually only having 3rd and 4th.  When Rbank ran out of gas at the end of the race we thought we had a chance of stealing 2nd from them but ended up 15ish seconds short due to that darn helpful team at pit in that fueled their car for them. (3rd) Lol

Sunday 

918 made it about 2.5 hours before we lost 5th gear and then started smoking. After getting it towed back to the paddock we found a locked transmission and the beginnings of a rod knock(which turned out to be a broken piston skirt)so we parked it.

959 had another good showing all the way to the end of the race where we were battling with Rbank for 2nd place. I made the decision to put in one of my drivers who missed driving time when 918 broke for the last stint. After the pit stop we ended up about 30s ahead of them with about 75 minutes left in the race. Unfortunately, he had not had any time in the new car and promptly looped it in T14 loosing all the advantage we had(no wing on this car). We ended in 3rd which we are still very happy with.

Congrats to Rbank Racing, you guys absolutely deserve that gold #1!

Edited by Ronh911
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, 55mini said:

Wasn't that a new fresh motor?      Road America is really hard on stuff no matter what size it is.

Fresh as in new rod bearings and a used connecting rod yes.  There wasn’t enough time between NCM and RA to redo the complete engine, plus main bearings are not available right now (along with rod bearings but I had an extra set). 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ronh911 said:

When Rbank ran out of gas at the end of the race we thought we had a chance of stealing 2nd from them but ended up 15ish seconds short due to that darn helpful team at pit in that fueled their car for them.

Sorry about that.  We weren't the ones who donated fuel, but I was one of the random pushers.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tommytipover said:

image.png.ae737c8239afad9d98508f3a624d3bc4.png

I pushed 2 cars from pit in this weekend.  The RBank car to mid pit, and a Miata to the far other side of the paddock.  That second one burned more calories than 2 hours in the car.