How were or are VPI's arrived at

27 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

not worth the swap. You can add aluminum heads to the "stock" 350 for 100.  I was thinking more along the line of Gen II F-body 350 4speed (no points) cam, headers, intake, heads = 225 + 150 = 375, moog springs free, bilstein's free, C6 brakes free, Ball joints 10? 

Add 50 for valvetrain unless you want to roll the dice on stamped rockers with that cam. If changing from QJet add 25. Swaybar(s) 20/40 points. Apparently 20 points for bumpsteer kit. Are heims still included with sways or did that change too?

Even on an old underpowered low point car they add up fast.

Benefits of a full Vortec swap versus just the heads is you get a 1 pc seal block, roller lifters, decent compression and likely a 4 bolt main. Since they were all fuel injected you can likely just throw some rings and bearings at it. Mine still has the crosshatch showing with over 100K on it. The Vortec heads will make more than enough power for CC untouched but are heavier than the AL heads obviously.

Edited by Bandit

13 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Not difficult but a super speedway w/o overdrive could either be slow off the infield corners or too twisty across the s/f line (fuel burn or chuck rod)

4L80 is a 400 with overdrive added.

I have zero knowledge on how the OD holds up under full throttle however.

On 5/4/2021 at 4:21 PM, Bandit said:

3rd is our most melted clutch pack, 700r4/4l60 will do the same.

When Nissan 3rd dies, power flow is interrupted, skip shifting or continuing in 4th is not a option, not sure how a 4l60 would fare.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

not worth the swap. You can add aluminum heads to the "stock" 350 for 100.  I was thinking more along the line of Gen II F-body 350 4speed (no points) cam, headers, intake, heads = 225 + 150 = 375, moog springs free, bilstein's free, C6 brakes free, Ball joints 10? 

Do it, then let me know what race I can drive it at!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

3rd is our most melted clutch pack, 700r4/4l60 will do the same.

When Nissan 3rd dies, power flow is interrupted, skip shifting or continuing in 4th is not a option, not sure how a 4l60 would fare.

Okay, but I mentioned the 4L80. 😀

I don't believe it has the super low first like a 4L60 and should certainly be stronger as it was put in the HD trucks.

Will sap more power unfortunately. Probably have to take a BFH, or more, to the floorpan to make it fit.

• Like 1

I don’t know anything about them, but what about these new many speed automatics? I was in a meeting the other day when someone asked if they were going to be using a 9 speed or 10 speed transmission. They must be pretty strong ever since the towing capacity wars got out of hand.

• Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee
Just now, mhr650 said:

I don’t know anything about them, but what about these new many speed automatics? I was in a meeting the other day when someone asked if they were going to be using a 9 speed or 10 speed transmission. They must be pretty strong ever since the towing capacity wars got out of hand.

The ZF 8HP is an 8 speed and works very well. 

On 5/4/2021 at 5:29 PM, mhr650 said:

I'm not impressed watching customers 6 and 10 speed 3-5 yr old chevy/ford cars/trucks age.

The OD was not engineered for road racing. It will fail. You may get a race out of it using OD but detention is inevitable. What infinity has done with that platform is well beyond most of our skills. A GM or Ford auto OD unit behind a V8 without serious modification is like going shy diving without a parachute. Death is inevitable.

2 hours ago, Bandit said:

I have been a Ford truck person my entire life. I have owned 2 trucks since 1985 and put over a quarter million miles on each truck. 

One year ago I went to buy another truck. Ford likes me. They gave me a V8 10 speed auto to drive for the weekend. The transmission sounded like a Folgers can with a handful of nickels in it.  And the price!!!!!! 62 grand for a freaking pickup truck!!!!! 

I then called a cutie petutie that lives in my development who sells Toyota Tundras. Purchased a 2018 5.7 Tundra with 25k miles for a very good price. I was almost shot at dawn by my fellow work mates for my unpatriotic purchase. My mother and brother have officially disowned me. My Father in-law, a silver star recipient for valor in combat with 3 Purple Hearts has not spoke to me since August of last year. But........I have not had a problem with this truck. 

I do not believe Ford likes me anymore. 

59 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

I'm not impressed watching customers 6 and 10 speed 3-5 yr old chevy/ford cars/trucks age.

Edited by Cam Benty
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Cam Benty said:

Purchased a 2018 5.7 Tundra with 25k miles for a very good price. I was almost shot at dawn by my fellow work mates for my unpatriotic purchase.

I'm with your workmates. 😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Cam Benty said:

Ford

The 10 speed is Bordering on a class action lawsuit...I have a 2017 F150 coyote six speed, 213,000 miles either the clutches or valve body is honking fourth and fifth gear when Hot but it works, I’ll be selling this one very soon.

• Like 1

This may kind of be getting at @TiredBirds point.

This car, other than the cell being 2 gallons too big ('69's were 18 gal stock) would be under 500 points in CC. A real, vintage Trans Am car.

One needs to remember however, the TA rules were more restrictive than CC's. The only thing that would cost points in the suspension are the swaybars and panhard. No engine swap. No head swap. No trans swap.

I'm genuinely curious how one would run on 200tw tires along with some AP brakes. Those Blue Streaks slide all over and the brakes are stock C3 Corvette. Would love to drive one. Much more so than the above Trans Am.

*While legal, it would stop for fuel at about 55 minutes. 🤣

• Like 4

Is this Roger Bolinger’s 71 Trans Am that races in Belgium and Europe? I watched this monster at Hockenhiem in 15 at a Historic Race with a few fellow European Engineers. They laughed at the TA and had a few ignorant comments about it size. 

After 3 laps I asked them if they wanted to retract their insults. It was like a group of teenage girl’s realizing their heartthrob was gay. 

That unit has a refrigerator for a motor and a full tube chassis. A work of art. And it laid wast to the competition. 

56 minutes ago, Bandit said:

I get the impression some are worried about someone doing this with a 150 point Trans Am. 🤣

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not if you shift at 5500 instead of 8500.

6 minutes ago, Bandit said:

This may kind of be getting at @TiredBirds point.

This car, other than the cell being 2 gallons too big ('69's were 18 gal stock) would be under 500 points in CC. A real, vintage Trans Am car.

One needs to remember however, the TA rules were more restrictive than CC's. The only thing that would cost points in the suspension are the swaybars and panhard. No engine swap. No head swap. No trans swap.

I'm genuinely curious how one would run on 200tw tires along with some AP brakes. Those Blue Streaks slide all over and the brakes are stock C3 Corvette. Would love to drive one. Much more so than the above Trans Am.

*While legal, it would stop for fuel at about 55 minutes. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Cam Benty said:

Not if you shift at 5500 instead of 8500.

It's just getting up on the pipe and you want to shift? 🤣

The TA pictured above is essentially a show car it seems. Found a vid of him doing a weak burnout and nothing else.

Bollinger's car is badass and a real race car.

spacer.png

The coolest thing is it is Pontiac powered.

Roger purchased a Butler Performance ALL ALUMINUM traditional Pontiac engine, dyno tested/tuned and delivered to him in Switzerland. His engine is 496 cu.in. based on our IAII/Butler Performance aluminum block and using our std. port Edel. Heads. It made over 730 HP on pump gas with the built-in durability to take continuous abuse on the road course's of Europe.

Edited by Bandit

At 500hp + you don’t need to be on the pipe. Throw some Azinas on it and some good break pads, set the rev limiter to 6k and control the hooligan grin as you wheel that girl. Who cares how many times you must refuel. 

19 minutes ago, Bandit said:

It's just getting up on the pipe and you want to shift? 🤣

The TA pictured above is essentially a show car it seems. Found a vid of him doing a weak burnout and nothing else.

Bollinger's car is badass and a real race car.

spacer.png

Edited by Cam Benty
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Cam Benty said:

At 500hp + you don’t need to be on the pipe. Throw some Azinas on it and some good break pads, set the rev limiter to 6k and control the hooligan grin as you wheel that girl. Who care how many times you must refuel. 

I've priced the crank and pistons.... Rods are standard 5.7's

Would need to assemble an original 302. (Chevy had theirs before Ford) Not going to find one in a boneyard.

Even 100% stock they were not at their power peak before 6K.

I just picture Strong going apeshit with his sound meter as it sings past. 🤣

*I do know where 4 1st gen shells are laying. To say they are a project for even a race car is an understatement. Just too much work. A much later model, lower revving, cheaper and better mileage getting SBC is the plan.

Edited by Bandit
  • Like 3

327 long block (Mabbco motors Long block 327 large journal 1800.00 dollars) You can do as you please from there. This motor would fit well it one of those shells.

I will be your first rental. And I can get you very good shoes at your pleasure.

1 hour ago, Bandit said:

I've priced the crank and pistons.... Rods are standard 5.7's

Would need to assemble an original 302. (Chevy had theirs before Ford) Not going to find one in a boneyard.

Even 100% stock they were not at their power peak before 6K.

I just picture Strong going apeshit with his sound meter as it sings past. 🤣

*I do know where 4 1st gen shells are laying. To say they are a project for even a race car is an understatement. Just too much work. A much later model, lower revving, SBC is the plan.

Edited by Cam Benty

The six speed usually is quite good. I believe Ford engineers were betting the 10 speeds would not be used for serious towing. Hopefully this is not the case and they get the issues worked out. 

Offer a stout manual and no more problems. To many posers buying F150’s. They would not lower themselves and shift their own gears. 150 owners are almost as bad as BMW owners. They would rather drive a heep with an impressive badge than drive a boring reliable car. The 150 I drove was seriously impressive other than the rattle from the transmission. The only thing it did not have was a direct line to the White House. 

2 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

The 10 speed is Bordering on a class action lawsuit...I have a 2017 F150 coyote six speed, 213,000 miles either the clutches or valve body is honking fourth and fifth gear when Hot but it works, I’ll be selling this one very soon.

Edited by Cam Benty
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cam Benty said:

327 long block (Mabbco motors Long block 327 large journal 1800.00 dollars) You can do as you please from there. This motor would fit well it one of those shells.

I will be your first rental. And I can het you very good shoes at your pleasure.

The first car needs to be done before thinking about a 1st gen.

For a 302 sbc with it's high winding tendencies I'd probably have Performance  Engine and Machine do the work on the short block. Already have the correct heads.

Saying that, while all the replacement metal is available and not terribly expensive, one of those shells would require a frame table to put enough together to avoid being a tube car. Floor pans and firewall, which include the subframe mounts, trunk, rear rails, rockers all shot. While it wouldn't need to be perfect in appearance, it would need everything squared correctly. Like I was saying; Big project.

But I doubt filling the seat would ever be an issue.

*There was a very nice one on copart that got t boned in the drivers door that would be easier. Never did see what it went for. It was BENT but beautiful condition otherwise.