Official 2021 - Lifeline 24-Hour Classic at VIR

Bill Strong

Your cache is holding an older version. That's the magic to your insanity.
For the record, ChampCar Endurance Series is organized exclusively for pleasure, recreation, and other nonprofitable purposes within the meaning of Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(7) or the corresponding provision of any future United States internal revenue law, where substantially all of the corporation’s activities are for such purposes, and no part of the net earnings of the corporation inures to the benefit of any private shareholder.
ChampCar event insurance does not allow for spectators.

Now...

The track may allow spectators to enter the facility, and this is what VIR is doing. They will charge a $10 facility fee upon entry at the front gate.  Spectators are not allowed on the cold side of pit lane. If they want a pit pass they will need to then purchase a pit lane pass from registration. The fee is $20 and gives them a weekend membership. 

The word spectators should never be used for legal purposes. Every time that the term is used, you will incur a five-minute black flag. :)  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

Your cache is holding an older version. That's the magic to your insanity.
For the record, ChampCar Endurance Series is organized exclusively for pleasure, recreation, and other nonprofitable purposes within the meaning of Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(7) or the corresponding provision of any future United States internal revenue law, where substantially all of the corporation’s activities are for such purposes, and no part of the net earnings of the corporation inures to the benefit of any private shareholder.
ChampCar event insurance does not allow for spectators.

Now...

The track may allow spectators to enter the facility, and this is what VIR is doing. They will charge a $10 facility fee upon entry at the front gate.  Spectators are not allowed on the cold side of pit lane. If they want a pit pass they will need to then purchase a pit lane pass from registration. The fee is $20 and gives them a weekend membership. 

The word spectators should never be used for legal purposes. Every time that the term is used, you will incur a five-minute black flag. :)  

"I'm sorry,  . . the prisoners with jobs."

Thanks for clearing that up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You can't even use this to get used to a new track.

"Intermediate must have minimum of 5 track days on VIR full course.   Advanced group must have a minimum of 10 track days on VIR full course. "

• Haha 1

Bill, before I reach out to them and ask this, if they allow coaching, will they allow us to run a passenger seat and give exposure to our new-to-track drivers? That would be the only way I could justify the $400 for the 2 hours. 

Also with this, when we tech, should we tech with the passenger seat (and belts) installed? Then re-tech when we remove the passenger seat and install our cool shirt cooler? 

Grassyass. 

Edited by RandomTask

• Technical Advisory Committee
13 hours ago, gundy said:

You can't even use this to get used to a new track.

"Intermediate must have minimum of 5 track days on VIR full course.   Advanced group must have a minimum of 10 track days on VIR full course. "

I hate to laugh about this, but it sure didn't make much sense when I read it, too.

Sounds like the promoter knows very little about the customer base's needs a day before an endurance race.

1 hour ago, mcoppola said:

Sounds like the promoter knows very little about the customer base's needs a day before an endurance race.

Odd but it seems so,  perhaps its a copy and paste of their regular program?

Some of us should first inquire to @Dana then the track for clarification.

Infiniti is not going to be there but Mike and I will be, it would be nice spinning some practice but its unlikely we will... making inquiry from our end would be a little out of place.

1 hour ago, Team Infiniti said:

Odd but it seems so,  perhaps its a copy and paste of their regular program?

Some of us should first inquire to @Dana then the track for clarification.

Infiniti is not going to be there but Mike and I will be, it would be nice spinning some practice but its unlikely we will... making inquiry from our end would be a little out of place.

This Friday track day is not a Champcar event- if you have any questions you should reach out to the organization that is hosting the event- Kaizen Autosport.  This has been on the VIR calendar for sometime now- and they probably haven't sold many spots and thought to bring in Champcar teams to help with costs.  Wyatt works for them....

• ChampCar Staff
3 hours ago, chip said:

This Friday track day is not a Champcar event- if you have any questions you should reach out to the organization that is hosting the event- Kaizen Autosport.  This has been on the VIR calendar for sometime now- and they probably haven't sold many spots and thought to bring in Champcar teams to help with costs.  Wyatt works for them....

Wyatt and I have talked, we have something worked out. As soon as I get the confirmed details I'll push it out to the Team Captains.

Dana

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

what's the deal with flagtronics for VIR, or is it more of a wait and see what's available when we get to registration?

Our team would like to run it, I know it has been available at some races but not sure if all the bugs have been worked out and it is officially available yet

Not available until after VIR for purchase. Pretty sure VIR24 was going to be their last testing before roll out. Just me, but I bet @vtjballengand his crew pull out all the stops and have devices for every car that wants to use one for the weekend. Plus I bet all the corner stations have the fancy flag boards. 

Edited by jakks
  • Like 1

• ChampCar Staff
23 hours ago, The_Three_Thirties said:

what's the deal with flagtronics for VIR, or is it more of a wait and see what's available when we get to registration?

Our team would like to run it, I know it has been available at some races but not sure if all the bugs have been worked out and it is officially available yet

We talked to Ballenger recently. He is planning to have some units for sale at VIR, and of course we will have units available for just the weekend. We are going to open up the feature in the Registration system so if you purchase your own you can add the unit number into your car info in the same way you can plug in a transponder number.

If you haven't tried the system yet you really need to check it out. Remember that VIR does the Code 35 for anything on track they have to respond to. The Flagtronics system can send you both Full-Course and Code 35 messages. That's going to be super helpful especially at night. But wait, you also get... The pit lane timer.. When you cross onto pit lane the timer feature will kick on and you can see your 5-min time displayed. yes, we will still be using the egg timers, we're going to keep running both for a while as redundancy. 

Hope that helps,

Dana

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Never being to VIR, I have to ask if there is 120v available in the paddock to plug in some basic necessities within the car trailer.

Not that i Remember.   Just the rv spaces you have to rent.   Bring a generator or beg a neighbor lol 

• Thanks 1

• Technical Advisory Committee
12 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Never being to VIR, I have to ask if there is 120v available in the paddock to plug in some basic necessities within the car trailer.

Yes there is plenty in the paddock.   If you need to run tools or a compressor temporarily you can just plug up but of you want to plug in an enclosed trailer all weekend then VIR will want some $

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Team Infiniti said:

I’m thinking a light and portable ac in the trailer.

At the gate you simply tell them that you want electricity and pay $35. They'll give you a tag to affix to your cord. There are power poles spaced throughout the paddock but the challenge is getting a spot near a pole; there is about one power pole for every eight paddock spaces. That said, with 60-something entries, getting access to power should not prove to be problematic. Bring extra extension cords in case you have to run it a longer distance to reach a box. Cheers!   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1