Jump to content

2021 Board of Directors Annual Meeting - Virtual


Recommended Posts

  • Technical Advisory Committee
4 hours ago, TimS said:

I feel I fall into a large group who find a few rules that adversely effect there particular car are “unfair/unnecessary “   But in the end I like all the people I’ve met here on the forums and at the track. They have been helpful to a fault. Champcar staff have been courteous and extremely helpful. The “Club” has refunded entry fees and given credits when I was unable to race. Fellow racers have helped me every event I’ve raced. BOD is a thankless job that many people will criticize and feel gives people the inside track to help/enrich their teams/selves. I feel BOD members are passionate racers who want Champcar succeed and continue, as do I. No series can be everything for everybody. Keep up the good work and keep you head on a swivel. Arrows come from all directions. 

Awesome attitude Tim. 
looking forward to meeting some day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee
13 hours ago, Rodger Coan-Burningham said:


Tell him to bring his car out! We hear there is a car in the works.  Someday.

So I’m up till nearly 3am working on my car (that not many have seen). Get cleaned up, go to bed, check the forum for anything interesting - and what do I find... 

Man I got to get out to some races, and quit just being a car builder.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/19/2021 at 12:35 PM, Team Infiniti said:

Again, this is a communication problem and shouldn’t be taken any other way.

Yep, spot on Ed.

 

There are tons of reasons that a large percentage are silent on many issues.  They range from, they don't really care and just want to make noise with a car for awhile and then have a few cold ones with friends, to they are discouraged and don't feel like their voice is heard in a productive manner.   Ultimately I think communication improvement is probably the biggest opportunity for Champcar to improve.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee
1 hour ago, JDChristianson said:

Yep, spot on Ed.

 

There are tons of reasons that a large percentage are silent on many issues.  They range from, they don't really care and just want to make noise with a car for awhile and then have a few cold ones with friends, to they are discouraged and don't feel like their voice is heard in a productive manner.   Ultimately I think communication improvement is probably the biggest opportunity for Champcar to improve.

 

Improving communication is pretty vague.  What specific steps do you and Ed think should be done?  Not pie in the sky steps, but what realistic changes in communication that could be done with a mostly volunteer staff that could accomplish what you state is the problem?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Rodger Coan-Burningham said:

 

Improving communication is pretty vague.  What specific steps do you and Ed think should be done?  Not pie in the sky steps, but what realistic changes in communication that could be done with a mostly volunteer staff that could accomplish what you state is the problem?

Being a mostly volunteer staff, the least time consuming/most effective method my unimaginative self can conjure, would be more hand holding emails to all members about upcoming dates that relate to elections, petitions and their deadlines, then another reminder as the deadlines approach.

 

This would have allowed our sister team to understand they have more club input.

 

Unintended consequences will be more petitions and questions submitted increasing workload.

Edited by Team Infiniti
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rodger Coan-Burningham said:

 

Improving communication is pretty vague.  What specific steps do you and Ed think should be done?  Not pie in the sky steps, but what realistic changes in communication that could be done with a mostly volunteer staff that could accomplish what you state is the problem?

Good question.

 

Thoughts I have had are things like monthly, maybe quarterly, news letters (sent via email to all members) with messages from the Chairman of the Board, CEO, and the head of tech.   Repeat the really important things that are catching teams out at tech.   

 

I'd also like to see an annual survey allowing the membership to give feedback on what they think is the performance level of management on everything from  race management, tech, and general membership engagement.  

 

Just brainstorming a little.   I've always been told that there is always room for improvement.  

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

Good question.

 

Thoughts I have had are things like monthly, maybe quarterly, news letters (sent via email to all members) with messages from the Chairman of the Board, CEO, and the head of tech.   Repeat the really important things that are catching teams out at tech.   

 

I'd also like to see an annual survey allowing the membership to give feedback on what they think is the performance level of management on everything from  race management, tech, and general membership engagement.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

I like that. Top issues for tech @ each race would be good feedback in the OFFICAIL threads. Don't over complicate it, just keep it to the top 3-5 main issues.

 

I'd personally go more frequent that annually. But keep the survey super short because we are all lazy people. 5 questions max as the desire to increase engagement is a big issue in my opinion (that <2% voting statistic is nuts).

 

  1. are you happy with the overall champcar expereince
  2. are you happy with the rule book as it currently is stated.
  3. How likely are you to continue racing with champcar if no further changes are made to process?
  4. etc...with similar worded and simple questions.
  5.  
Edited by MichaelPal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Rodger Coan-Burningham said:

 

Improving communication is pretty vague.  What specific steps do you and Ed think should be done?  Not pie in the sky steps, but what realistic changes in communication that could be done with a mostly volunteer staff that could accomplish what you state is the problem?


How about walk arounds at events?  Meet teams and make personal appearance. I don’t know about anyone else but I get bombarded with emails and miss a lot of interesting things because of the junk that gets sent to me. Even talking with team captains in the tech lines. Social media of course (even though I don’t use it), YouTube, Etc gotta cover as much as you can.   People will be more inclined to look/search for additional information from a close personal source. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee
Posted (edited)

As a pretty active member, this is how I think we are doing it now, probably not all inclusive but catches most of it:

 

  • emails to captains for specific race information.
  • emails to members signed up for a particular race with race information.
  • emails to full membership on club events and issues. 
  • emails to full membership on particular items such as petition requests.
  • forum
  • social media (which myself I go back and forth not using)
  • the race broadcasts
  • live events, such as the recent board meeting.
  • interaction at races
  • red flag (now I think Dana calls them Bravo flag) youtube videos

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like if one of our members wants to know something about what the club has going on, they could find it in one of the above.  But, even within my own team at least one of them never sees any of the ones listed above.  They rely on me to tell them what's going on.  It works for us, and it seems the same for most teams.

 

Edit: As far as interaction at events, that works to some degree but typically the staff is always busy, race directors especially.  Team captains are busy, teams are busy, hell everybody is busy if you are trying.  Everybody can't be a @Hurljohn and be a social butterfly at race events....

Edited by Rodger Coan-Burningham
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, chip said:

I thought Wyatt was a primadonna when he raced with us, but @Hurljohntakes it to another level- the boy has skilz....

Hahaha I will jump on this @Hurljohn train.  He recruited me into champ when we met up for a craigslist deal back in 2017 I think. Social skills to the moon, and a great guy to be around. John for social president?

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee
2 hours ago, tyler_j said:

Hahaha I will jump on this @Hurljohn train.  He recruited me into champ when we met up for a craigslist deal back in 2017 I think. Social skills to the moon, and a great guy to be around. John for social president?

 

We may have to create a position for him.  @chip has the title of Senior VP of Care and Concern on the Pinkies Out team, maybe he can give him a few pointers.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee
53 minutes ago, Rodger Coan-Burningham said:

 

We may have to create a position for him.  @chip has the title of Senior VP of Care and Concern on the Pinkies Out team, maybe he can give him a few pointers.

Hey Rodger, congrats on being named to the BoD. I’m trying to come up with a good smartass remark (payback you know) about how maybe we can finally get you out of the TAC group. 
But the reason for the change has my joy tempered a bit.
I could say you’ve got some big shoes to fill but nobody will or should replace Doc. He was one of a kind.
I know you’re gonna do a great job for the club. Well done buddy. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee
59 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

Hey Rodger, congrats on being named to the BoD. I’m trying to come up with a good smartass remark (payback you know) about how maybe we can finally get you out of the TAC group. 
But the reason for the change has my joy tempered a bit.
I could say you’ve got some big shoes to fill but nobody will or should replace Doc. He was one of a kind.
I know you’re gonna do a great job for the club. Well done buddy. 


Amen brother. I for sure could never fill those shoes nor pretend to replace Doc. But will do my best to help the club in his absence. I love Champcar so I hope

that helps guide me as we move forward. That and a lot of help and input from everyone here. 
 

And get that car done, we want to see it out there racing soon. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Rodger Coan-Burningham said:


Amen brother. I for sure could never fill those shoes nor pretend to replace Doc. But will do my best to help the club in his absence. I love Champcar so I hope

that helps guide me as we move forward. That and a lot of help and input from everyone here. 
 

And get that car done, we want to see it out there racing soon. 

I hope you are gonna be at cmp in a few days.  A few of us need to drink some booze in his honor and it's only fitting that you would partake.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee
8 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I hope you are gonna be at cmp in a few days.  A few of us need to drink some booze in his honor and it's only fitting that you would partake.


I will be there. Gonna crew for @Hurljohn and criticize his Lexus.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee
6 minutes ago, jakks said:

Running Bulls has to deal with you in our pits as well? I didn’t sign us up for that….. :)

 

Yeah I will have plenty of criticism left over for the E30 as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...