Doc Waldrop 1954 - 2021

• Administrators
200277556_5974605019217083_2492288238312448378_n (1).jpg

Richard “Doc” Waldrop

Born on the 4th of July, 1954 so far north that it will remain unnamed. He claimed New Orleans as his hometown. It wasn’t true, but we can’t argue with him now. Deceased June 8, 2021 in Hartwell, Georgia.

Preceded in death by his parents: Claybourne Waldrop, Sr and Avis Margaret Waldrop; his brother: Claybourne Waldrop, Jr. and his great niece: Roxy Trick. Survived by his greatest pride and joy, his son: Nolan Waldrop; his favorite sister: Ann Trick; his nephews and niece: Philip Trick (Katy), Justin Trick (Jessica), Kristen Trick; his great nieces: Jasey, Zibby, Jackie and Julie Trick; mother of his son: Shanna Paynter; and his cousins: Had Howard (Lisa), Tim Howard (Sonni); as well as many other cousins.
At the “suggestion” of a judge, Doc volunteered to serve his country in the Navy and was stationed at NAS Miramar, California. He did a tour on the USS Enterprise as a plank owner in the VF-1 Wolf Pack F-14 squadron on it's first worldwide tour and participated in the evacuation of Vietnam known as Operation Frequent Wind.

After the Navy he attended the University of Texas at Arlington and earned his college degree at California State University Northridge.

His numerous careers were highly varied including race photographer, motion picture lighting, special event designer, and production manager. He was a highly respected member of the event industry serving many years as Chapter President of the Greater Atlanta Chapter of the International Special Events Society. He was honored with numerous awards including the 2004 Dale Riggins Humanitarian Award, the 2008 Bob Blaesing CSEP Lifetime Achievement Award, the 2003 Spotlight Award for Technical Producer of the Year and the 2005 Spotlight Award of Gratitude from Events Solutions Magazine.

Most recently he reveled in becoming a driver/owner of Brew Krewe Racing, as well as a board member and live color commentator for ChampCar Endurance Series racing.

His passion from an early age was racing cars and motorcycles with which he would forever tinker or modify. Concrete, asphalt, dirt or the mere semblance of a trail or road never deterred him from testing his limits or how many bones he could break on any one encounter with said surfaces.

We dare anyone to find someone who lived a more exhilarating life than Doc. His adventures were truly legendary and his name should be listed as the best example ever of “living life to the fullest.”

But most of all, he was the most blessed man on earth due to the extraordinary amount of friends he amassed over the years. His notorious wit, quick quips and ready smile won over all who had the pleasure of his presence. We should all be as lucky as Doc to have so many who love and adore him!

Doc Waldrop's Second Line + Wake, to celebrate his extraordinary life, will be held 2:00 pm June 19th at Euclid Avenue Yacht Club, 1136 Euclid Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30307.

In lieu of flowers or memorials please consider donating at https://gofund.me/589a9f0a in honor of Doc.
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 8

• Bill Strong changed the title to Doc Waldrop 1954 - 2021
  • Administrators

167219775_10158536940612562_4562195232819275164_n.jpg

Doc and I met a bunch of years ago at Sebring, where he set the FTD of the event by pitting next to my RSm team near the timing loop. and he never let me forget that. 

I loved working with Doc. He was a character.  And a really funny one.  Most don't know that we faked pretty much every minute of the broadcasts. We just learned by experience. But one thing Doc did not fake was his preparation for each and every race. He was well versed on who was racing, and what their past records were. I would get text messages from pitlane telling me that they had totally forgot some fact about them that Doc just stated on the show. He was amazing like that.  Doc hated when I would make fun of his roof mounted "dildo". "It's a beer tap!" he would reply back in his booming voice. 

1557137_858372937514610_3394964588814184381_o.jpg

Doc served in the US Navy, stationed and living just a few doors away from my own home in San Diego. We were separated by 7 or so years in age., but we visited and did a lot of the same things in that area in the early to mid-1970s.  He loved the F-14 Tomcat and was at Miramar when the Navy's newest fighter was deployed for the first time. The Enterprise was his ship. He loved her.

36711040_10104423288591016_2664913656822628352_n.jpg

I loved when I would point to him, and make some old man joke, and then he would quickly fire back with great come back. He also knew how to poke me. and it was funny.

He was like an older brother to me. we fought, we argued, but we always came away as friends. There were times when I was his boss on the weekends, and he could not wait until Monday morning when he could set me straight as he was back to being one of my bosses as a board member. 

24883285_10155906395262346_7789609359919637448_o.jpg

And on the board of directors... he loved that job. But there were also some aspects of it he hated. But he did the work. He was the clubs statistician.  The work Doc did helped ChampCar with the elections, with the Championships, and of course, with my marketing. He learned on the fly like most of do here at ChampCar.

20729738_10155586663742346_7618360477345702864_n.jpg

68337245_10220098231945478_8428305274615365632_n.jpg

24-Hour events. He hated me. Especially when we did the Summer of 24s. Three 24-Hour races, almost in a row. Yes, they were my idea. Doc and I would work 34-36-hours straight during those events. One event we both may have been up easily 40-hours as we had to travel. It was insane. And the old guy reveled in the fact that he could outlast my 7-year younger self during these events. Of course he sat in the studio the whole event. lol. 

34059_401581277561_5785545_n.jpg

Doc was most proud of his son Nolan. His son is the same age as my son and daughter, so we had a lot of the same stories of adventures. He was so stoked that his son wanted to pursue film in study after high school. What was even cooler was that Nolan would come with Doc on our adventures and help us out on the show. 

72401727_10214926446536934_4323157648854745088_n.jpg

Doc wanted so bad to go to Watkins Glen. But life and work got in the way of him being able to attend the Memorial Day weekend events at WGI. In 2021, he was finally able to attend and work with me in the tower putting on the show. His sonm Nolan was able to attend as well. Doc started his trip to WGI by visiting the civil war parks in Pennsylvania. He found it fascinating. At the track our time is very limited due to the prep and setup for the shows. But when we finally sit down and Paulie plays the track intro, that's when we get to rest and have fun. And boy did we. His son was able to take pictures of the cars at the race, and Doc worked with him helping him learn the tricks of the trade. 

78833839_10159330521634196_3103778989995458560_n.jpg

I am going to miss Doc a lot. He was an important person in my life's adventure. One that taught me many lessons about life, being happy, crashing into race track objects, and photography. He also was the man who found the solution to my in-car camera rigs that works so well, the DW Mount. I cry because I wanted him to win a trophy in racing so bad. That is one item he did not accomplish. And one that Paulie and I rubbed in a lot. We would always display our racing trophies behind us in Zoom meetings, and pointing them out just in case he missed them, which he never did.

The last time we spoke with Doc was a week ago as we prepared for the Board of Directors meeting with a dry run. We had fun, again, displaying our trophies behind us as a backdrop. 

Doc , gonna miss you buddy.

40284593_1450452485099515_6074048414788616192_n.jpg

66819284_10157348287522346_5897928676611194880_n.jpg

66604275_10157352844417346_4007576796408053760_n.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 11
  • Sad 7

• Technical Advisory Committee

Very sad news for anyone who knew or met Doc. Thanks to @Bill Strongand whoever else added to these wonderful tributes - allowing all of us to know and appreciate Doc (and others like him) that much more. Prayers for him, his family and friends. Enjoy heaven as much as you did your life here on earth. 

• Like 5

• Members

I've petitioned the board to make the following change in honor and memory of Doc Waldrop.  I'm not sure what our agreements are with sponsors but I hope it works out...

The Doc Waldrop Spirit of ChampCar Trophy.

• Like 14

• Administrators

Doc's favorite track was Barber Motorsports Park. 

He was wild about motorcycles. 

The Alabama football team (I may have that wrong) :)

And he was an avid collector of sections of guard rails at Barber. 

We have renamed the Barber race:

December 11-December 12, 2021
BARBER MOTORSPORTS PARK: 8+7-Hour Enduro, $1575
Birmingham, AL
"Doc Waldrop Memorial Enduro at Barber" 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

Well said Bill. I had the honor of meeting Doc on numerous occasions and enjoyed every interaction with him including a good battle on track with him in his car at AMP 2016. He will forever be missed. A yearly award should be named in his honor as Rich said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

Doc's favorite track was Barber Motorsports Park. 

He was wild about motorcycles. 

The Alabama football team (I may have that wrong) :)

And he was an avid collector of sections of guard rails at Barber. 

We have renamed the Barber race:

December 11-December 12, 2021
BARBER MOTORSPORTS PARK: 8+7-Hour Enduro, $1575
Birmingham, AL
"Doc Waldrop Memorial Enduro at Barber" 

Haha. You know you do.... Geaux Tigers!!!

But h*ll yes to the rest. 

2 hours ago, riche30 said:

I've petitioned the board to make the following change in honor and memory of Doc Waldrop.  I'm not sure what our agreements are with sponsors but I hope it works out...

The Doc Waldrop Spirit of ChampCar Trophy.

Great Idea!

RIP Doc, you were a large part of what we enjoy about our racing family.

We will always remember that beaming smile, upbeat attitude and great wit which never wavered. Our fond memories of bench racing before the engines cranked at many race tracks will last forever. There is a big hole in the ChampCar community now.

The #970 ODOR Motor Group 

• Like 2

Extremely sad news.   I had limited in person interactions with him but they were memorable.   He REALLY shined on the broadcasts.  You never knew what he was gonna say and when it came out, it was usually entertaining.   RIP Doc.   Eternally setting FTD's now. 

• Like 3

I probably raced with Doc a bunch of times but never knew it.  I certainly remember being passed by the Brew Crewe car more than a few times as I was trying to figure out this racing thing.  It wasn't until Champ Car Live got going that I began to learn more about him.  He was an amazing individual and a big part of making the Champcar broadcast worth paying attention to.  He'll certainly be missed but I'm glad I got to know him at least a little bit.  RIP Doc.

• Like 2

I’ve only met and knew Doc through the Champcar races, but listening to the broadcasts always made me feel as if I’ve known him for years. His Wit and comments made the show that much better to listen to.

When we finally got some T-Shirts made for our Team, Doc asked if I could sell him one. I told him No, but I’ll trade you one for a Brewe Krewe shirt” The deal was made. That shirt won’t ever be used for a work shirt. 

RIP Doc. Thanks for all that you did for the series. You’ll be missed by anyone that’s ever met you.😢

• Like 3

RIP Doc - I think few embodied the spirit of Champcar like he did. I know I had family and friends that tuned into broadcasts to watch me race and I've been told multiple times that the chemistry on the broadcast was really natural and entertaining. I think that was due in great part by Doc's exuberant personality and 'color commentary'.

His love for racing was awesome and inspiring. Thanks for the words Bill, they were fun to read.

Edited by Slugworks Paul
  • Like 6