Noob - few questions on tech

Warning - not a quick read... But potentially free steak to responders! :0

Done a few champ events as an arrive and drive pay driver (and a lot of track days otherwise... tNIA, hpde, chin, etc)... so for champ I've kind of just showed up and joined the team and contributed wrenches/pits/driving/and obviously $$$, but never was involved in building the car/tech.

Few track day buddies and I just bought a car that competed in multiple NASA st5 events in 2019.  Seemed like a good starting spot for us.  Teched, sorted, logbook, reliable, etc.

Want to run 4-5 champ events a year... Likely just 2-3 this year, I digress.

Belts are good through 2021, fire suppression into 2022 as well...  Our understanding after trying to dig through rules and specs is that we should be good... Seems NASA is equal or more stringent on most tech.

But as noted, us track day lovers are still in street cars and are not veteran racers... So it's getting confusing at points in the rules.

Any input would be very appreciated... We'll grill you some complimentary steaks if you're local in the Great lakes area!  If you're not, well OmahaSteaks delivery is still pretty good.

We're definitely over in points, probably like 600 points based on my reading....

but we don't much care if we start down laps or bumped up a class... is our intro to racing:

2 very green novice drivers, 2 competent intermediate drivers.

A U-Haul trailer, extra set of wheels and tires, extra brake set, extra oil, drain pans for oil/pit, basic plethora of tools... That's what we have to work with.  Car ran all 8 races in 2019 ST5 (sprint, not endurance) with no breakdowns, so hoping for the best.  Does have necessary cooling upgrades that would be required for endurance racing a "luxury automobile" (insert crapbox vw) like oil cooler and bigger radiator

I am sure this forum could figured out how many points you are at pretty quickly, just post some details about the car:

- Make / Model / Year

- Suspension mods

- Brake mods

- engine mods

- Aero?

- Reliability mods? (oil cooler etc)

Those are usually what cost points.

ST5 will most likely be EC class (your car might be similar to the top non-EC cars in this serious). So lots of fun racing.

Tech - pay close attention to roll cage construction and seat mounting.  I've seen some subtleties between rule books that can be trouble on your first time out.  Champcar is also the most stringent I have seen on bulkhead/firewall sealing.  Not really hard to correct, but not something you want to be doing at the track when you could be out spinning laps durring the test day.

U-haul trailer - the price of a 16-18' open trailer seems to remain constant over time, it would be the easiest piece of equipment that I could sell.  If you see one that is decent, just get it, you'll find it to be useful and won't be hard to get rid of.

Gear - I didn't see fire extinguisher on the list.  And practice putting fuel in it a couple of times before you go to the track.  It seems easy until you're in a hurry.

I am not sure if Tech does this at every race,  but I have seen teams bring a car to a race just to get teched. They do not participate but simply come to have their car checked out before committing to a full weekend of racing.

If you are worried about something this may be an option to prevent you from rushing through some fixes just to get to grid the next day.  Probably be best to email tech before you just show up to make sure they will do it.

Thanks all... Car has fire suppression good into 2022. Have extinguisher for fueling.

We all live in a major city and park on the street with zero space to store a trailer.  I have a small garage for a car and Tahoe to pull it, but renting for two days here and there is about only option... At least to do a few events this year.

Definitely in EC after further review of the points.  That's fine, get a few events in this year and figure out a plan for winter

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobStahl21 said:

Thanks all... Car has fire suppression good into 2022. Have extinguisher for fueling.

We all live in a major city and park on the street with zero space to store a trailer.  I have a small garage for a car and Tahoe to pull it, but renting for two days here and there is about only option... At least to do a few events this year.

Definitely in EC after further review of the points.  That's fine, get a few events in this year and figure out a plan for winter

Where are you located at around the GL region?