Tribute to Fallen Police Officers build

13 hours ago, Cam Benty said:

Trust me it needs A LOT of work. The C4 is not generating the interest as Fox platform or Gen 4 Camaro and Firebird. It is a good platform for this series. It is just clobbered with points. 

It was Garage kept. With 94k miles restoring it just does not make economic sense unless it has sentimental value. The aftermarket is significantly less than Ford or Camaro. The C4 is still easy to work on compared to the C5 or newer. 

While I haven't filed an official petition, the points are what kill these cars. For reference, a '91 Mustang GT with 225 hp @3100lbs  is 225 points. . . same year vette with 245hp @ 3450lbs is 450 points. So you have 275 points to spend on the mustang and 50 to spend on the vette. . . because reasons. 

Edited by RandomTask
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, RandomTask said:

While I haven't filed an official petition, the points are what kill these cars. For reference, a '91 Mustang GT with 225 hp @3100lbs  is 225 points. . . same year vette with 245hp @ 3450lbs is 450 points. So you have 275 points to spend on the mustang and 50 to spend on the vette. . . because reasons. 

How much fuel in a vette?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mhr650 said:

I agree this part of the rules is outdated, and more than a little confusing. I take it that this part of the rules is to charge points if someone wanted to run a MSD distributor and or ignition box

Distributor, non-OE, or aftermarket ignition system: 20 pt

But in 2021 why would you ever run a distributor in the first place? The rule regarding coils reads.

Ignition coil(s), aftermarket: 10 pt

It doesn’t say anything about using coils from a different Chevy engine.

The aftermarket ignition system rule is made kind of redundant by the free ECU rule, since even the cheapest modern ECU can run both fuel and ignition.

I believe this area of the rules is outdated because nobody has really investigated it for a while, the vast majority of people running in ChampCar today don’t have to worry about distributors or MSD boxes. Seems like an area ripe for a petition.

I 100% agree, we are living with this exact issue.  We have a L98 but to clean things up and make it simplified we decided to use a FAST computer and harness since ECU is free.  But to use this system to control the spark (like any other modern car and ECU) you have to have a FAST distributor and MSD box.  So not we take a hit for 20pts for the parts required to get to the same baseline and any modern computer controlled car. 

• Thanks 1

On a side note if you need help with a C4 please let me know.  We built our car a few years back and have a pretty good build thread on the Corvette Forum.  We had some pretty good teething problems at first.  I think we have almost 10 races on the car now.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

While you do have a point I think the value is a bit high.

Not trying to demonize the Porsche, merely a comparison, I believe they have a decent fuel supply as well

21.1 it appears.

I'll guess the 4 banger gets a little better mileage as well.

Edited by Bandit

3 hours ago, RandomTask said:

I think the points are too high as well. 😬

26 minutes ago, Indysupra said:

I think the points are too high as well. 😬

It has a 20 gallon tank. 

We have a FWD 4-door with a 20 gallon tank that weighs ~2800# and it's 490 points with an inferior chassis to the C4. IMO the Corvette is valued pretty accurately. 

1 hour ago, mhr650 said:

Guys racing C4’s asking for a point reduction will be haunted by the ghost of GBU, making their quest much harder

Probably true. Even if all they have in common is the engine block and name.

As engine mods are still kind of expensive a small drop in VPI allowing reliability mods while denying horsepower should be workable however. Right now a pan, accusump and oil cooler puts it, 84-91 C4, over 500 with nothing else.

Edited by Bandit

7 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

While you do have a point I think the value is a bit high.

Not trying to demonize the Porsche, merely a comparison, I believe they have a decent fuel supply as well

I was informed fuel capacity does not matter to that make. Or a few others. It is “ perception “. Not the human element. Not experience, wisdom, etc. Either I do this or I don’t. 

Right now it is moving well. A dealership likes my idea and has agreed to a very nice sponsorship. I have had a good reception here so far. I will give it a go here. The forum is just flat out ignorant at times. The real racers are outstanding people. THAT is why I will give it a go.

‘’Thank you everyone for the advice, technical ideas and enthusiasm. 

PJB

• Like 1

Good question I cannot answer at this time. As crippled as the car is with points Harris hill is a phone booth of a track. I cannot put camber in it without acquiring points. Is a heavy car. Although to just see what breaks on the car may be a good call. The rules just do not make the Vette competitive. Especially at HH. 

For the Vette to have ANY chance it must be a Big Track at 8 hours. Daytona is out. Maybe COTA a top 20 could be possible. There is no way to make up 5 laps, let alone 9 laps with a Pan and Ignition system. 

But…..I am not doing this, to start, to be competitive. If I can get 4 paid drivers and have some cash to donate to the Fallen Officers Fund I would be Happy. 

If enough of the series brethren could pitch in I would be a very happy person. And so would the widows and children.

2 hours ago, turbogrill said:

Will we see this car at a Harris Hill race in 2022? That would be really cool.

(they did have a Camaro state trooper as a pace car if I remember correctly once, also think the police practice at h2r)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cam Benty said:

Good question I cannot answer at this time. As crippled as the car is with points Harris hill is a phone booth of a track. I cannot put camber in it without acquiring points. Is a heavy car. Although to just see what breaks on the car may be a good call. The rules just do not make the Vette competitive. Especially at HH. 

For the Vette to have ANY chance it must be a Big Track at 8 hours. Daytona is out. Maybe COTA a top 20 could be possible. There is no way to make up 5 laps, let alone 9 laps with a Pan and Ignition system. 

But…..I am not doing this, to start, to be competitive. If I can get 4 paid drivers and have some cash to donate to the Fallen Officers Fund I would be Happy. 

If enough of the series brethren could pitch in I would be a very happy person. And so would the widows and children.

Hard to win at Harris Hill unless you have a Mazda :)

but since it's in TX, one of the cheaper races, great crowds and twice a year it might be fun!

• Thanks 1

Less than:

SC300

Altima

Gen 2 Camaro

Thunderbird

Besides fuel dose not mater. Or…..does it? 

On 7/30/2021 at 8:31 AM, enginerd said:

How much fuel in a vette?

• Like 1