Official 2021 Lifeline VIR 24-Hour Classic - Results and tall tales

17 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

That sounds awesome! So there is a digital board where it says what car number is black flagged? I find it very annoying when you are a group of 5 cars and the poor corner worker is trying to pin point the correct car. 

It looks about like this, pit out controls the message 

cmst333.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It looks about like this, pit out controls the message 

cmst333.png

He’s not kidding.  That might be the exact model.  The thing can be read from 1/8th mile away.  Not sure how anyone could miss it. 

On the other hand, if you didn’t know your car number……

Endurance cars should always have the number on the dash.  Particularly ones that use guest drivers. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Racer28173 said:

He’s not kidding.  That might be the exact model.  The thing can be read from 1/8th mile away.  Not sure how anyone could miss it. 

On the other hand, if you didn’t know your car number……

Endurance cars should always have the number on the dash.  Particularly ones that use guest drivers. 

haha that is a good point! 

36 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

They know....   :)

1 hour ago, Chris Huggins said:

So it turns out it was the z made contact with us.  Not sure what happened here, my rear camera died at dusk for some reason.

Probably just over reacted when the mustang driver went off track in front of him. 

By the way, who was over driving that stang? Need to put them in for a Adderall prescription.

Edited by Wyatt
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Wyatt said:

By the way, who was over driving that stang? Need to put them in for a Adderall prescription.

Or remind them this is real like not NFS or GTA.

17 hours ago, Hurljohn said:

This thread is dead...must be time to bring up Rain Lights!

We need to ban the use till we have a comprehensive ruleset in place to govern their installation and usage.  I imagine it would involve race control determining when they would be used versus the individual driver or team.  At the 24 I was stuck behind an e36 during the fog as I could not see past him.  I also couldn't tell when his brake lights where on as his rain light was brighter than his actual brake lights and it was on flash the entire time.

John

That's why the petition to have them flash only under braking was approved this year, for consistency, only to be made invalid because of complaints on the forum. 

19 hours ago, Hurljohn said:

This thread is dead...must be time to bring up Rain Lights!

We need to ban the use till we have a comprehensive ruleset in place to govern their installation and usage.  I imagine it would involve race control determining when they would be used versus the individual driver or team.  At the 24 I was stuck behind an e36 during the fog as I could not see past him.  I also couldn't tell when his brake lights where on as his rain light was brighter than his actual brake lights and it was on flash the entire time.

John

Sounds like you need to learn how to pass people

image.gif.9258479e0c577314f7f8eba2f94adc91.gif

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wyatt said:

Probably just over reacted when the mustang driver went off track in front of him. 

Kinda looked like the Z followed him though the grass and then slung it back on the track.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chris Huggins said:

So it turns out it was the z made contact with us.  Not sure what happened here, my rear camera died at dusk for some reason.

Seeing helps justify our teams frustration in being hit not once, but twice by that car, in the same section of track which resulted in a broken front and rear passenger side wheel.  Some really oblivious driving out of that car.

17 hours ago, Chris Huggins said:

Well that's super frustrating.

5 hours ago, hotchkis23 said:

Seeing helps justify our teams frustration in being hit not once, but twice by that car, in the same section of track which resulted in a broken front and rear passenger side wheel.  Some really oblivious driving out of that car.

Did you get hit by the Z or by the Mustang?

On 8/12/2021 at 7:03 PM, turbogrill said:

That sounds awesome! So there is a digital board where it says what car number is black flagged? I find it very annoying when you are a group of 5 cars and the poor corner worker is trying to pin point the correct car. 

That's why we have a board with your number on it beside the flag.  

🤪

We started using the highway sign at dusk. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 9:20 PM, Chris Huggins said:

Interesting to see the video.  I was right behind the camera car and on high alert due to how loose the mustang was through that section.  So interesting how the brain works, I could not recall any of that detail, and this was the session our iPhone was inserted backward lol. 

After tons of prep work, knowing how crap the opti was. . . 

Went to start up sat morning for the practice session - dead opti. (Got water in it because we left the hood open the night before). Crap. Replaced but missed the practice. Took the start, on final lap of first stint and on turn 2 car started sputtering and was dead before turn 4. Crap. Replaced opti again (this time had to go into town to get another one). Got oil in it; water pump drive started leaking. Bought a replacement seal but it was defective from the factory; would have leaked worse. RTV'd crap out of next opti so nothing could get into it and sent car back on track around 6pm and ran until the fog set in. Fan relay died when red flag came in so at start had to get car back to pits to replace relay. 10 min later, back on the grid. Kept grinding until the finish. Will not be showing back up with an optispark next year; done with this thing. I'll gladly take the 2 laps punishment to go to coil on plugs so we don't have hours of downtime. 

Overall a clean race. Did what I had to do to avoid the Porsche's (although the black one tagged me coming into turn 1 too hot). Accidently made some contact with the transam (waaaaaay too slow coming into T10) but totally on me; apologized. Both drivers/cars unharmed. Checked my ego a bit. Watched a Miata get tangled up with another car and get airborn on T10 Sunday morning. (Hope you're OK!) Watched black Porsche somehow eat it going into hog pen and hit the wall. (Still not sure how you get completely sideways IN T13). 

Want to thank champcar and VIR staff for again, putting on an amazing event! Love the flagtronix as well; great tool! 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RandomTask said:

After tons of prep work, knowing how crap the opti was. . . 

Went to start up sat morning for the practice session - dead opti. (Got water in it because we left the hood open the night before). Crap. Replaced but missed the practice. Took the start, on final lap of first stint and on turn 2 car started sputtering and was dead before turn 4. Crap. Replaced opti again (this time had to go into town to get another one). 

Wish I knew you needed an Opti, I had two spares in my trailer plus water pumps...