Swaybar parallel to ground

turbogrill

Hi,

I am having a hard time getting my aftermarket swaybar parallel to the ground in the softest setting. The adjustable endlinks I have are just to short.

Why does it matter?

I guess you could argue that if the swaybar is almost pointing downwards (89deg off), then any motion by the control arm would translate to a very little force on the swaybar twisting since most force would just push the swaybar upwards?

When you pay for the swaybar, you get the end links with it. can you change your end links to get what you need? I know that at one point someone wanted to charge points for the swaybar, the bushings to mount the bar, and the end links, but thankfully we are past that kind of thinking now.

I'm trying to understand why this matters....  enlighten me, please.

The swaybar only encounters a force, and thus applies a reaction force, with relative displacement of the lower control arms (in most applications).

Does the swaybar care where it is in relative space?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Makes sense.  I was thinking about arm position, not the verticality of the link.  Nice explanation!

This is my take on it:

If the swaybar is parallel to the ground/shock/control arm then the majority of the force will go into bending the swaybar.

If the swaybar is not parallel to the ground then some force will go into demolition of the bushings/heimjoints.

sin(0) = 0 force into bushing

sin(30) = 0.5 force into bushing (that is swaybar 30 deg wrong)

And regarding the endlink to swaybar angle:

(Red = endlink, green = spacer)

Bottom picture has spacers addedto make sure the endlink is mounted 90 deg to sway.

image.png.2b2a6606fe1d8485630ebe177a88b3c1.png

What would be the difference here?  Is the difference that in the top picture the pivot points will have to take a large amount of force?

If they are solid, the top and bottom picture will have same amount of swaybar stiffness (but endlinks would take abuse).

if they are soft rubber, the swaybar in the top picture will move less since force is being used to decompress the rubber (still adding stiffness...)

If they are bearing/heimjoint /etc, the swaybar in the top picture will move less since the endlink joint will do it's thing.

(different topic but a little related, this was about moving using leverage on the control arm and not swaybar:

Edited by turbogrill