2022 BCCR

One of my fears with the new wording is how it effects a lot of teams who misread the rule where it says, “It’s either stock, in the stock location, or an approved fuel cell with the proper installation”, to include the filler neck. They stuck with truly stock fuel tank and filler necks, didn’t even consider it an area to develop on their car. Some of the particularly egregious examples shown lately make it clear that actual tech inspection was allowing some much more radical solutions, so in that way this rule will reign some of those teams back in. But what of all the teams who read this and consider it as a new rule that they can now start modifying their filler for more capacity? I am sure that plenty of those teams will be able to crate a sound and safe system but will all of them do a competent job? Is tech now going to have a much bigger job since more cars will be showing up with modified filler tubes?

For how it will affect my car it is a bit unclear for now. I fit into the middle area of a medium tank car or MTC. 16.4 gallons stock capacity, I have a 16-gallon cell since reasonably priced SFI cells jump from 16 to 22 gallons. I have a pretty direct 2.5-inch filler so I would be plenty safe with the new wording but not getting the maximum amount of fuel allowed. I have been planning on replacing my fuel cell with an 18 gallon, even though the cost will be pretty steep at $1000+. With the 18-gallon cell and a direct 2.5- or 3-inch filler I could be over the max fill volume rule. The parts to build a 2.4-gallon filler for my existing 16-gallon cell would cost less than replacing it with a new 18-gallon cell, but I am not crazy about racing with 2.4 gallons of fuel outside of the cell.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mhr650 said:

The parts to build a 2.4-gallon filler for my existing 16-gallon cell would cost less than replacing it with a new 18-gallon cell, but I am not crazy about racing with 2.4 gallons of fuel outside of the cell.

You would not be able to do that given the fuel filler would be almost 8' long with 3" OD max filler size.

15 hours ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

Let us work in the world of real possibilities. The 5 min stop is not going anywhere and there is no real good reason to justify it going anywhere. Change it to 4 minutes and that helps efficient experienced teams gain more of an advantage. The experienced teams will still be able to do fuel and tires in that time if they want.  That will not change and we should focus on what might be able to change, if anything, to help fix possible probl. If a team can go 3 hours of fuel why would they want to stop at 1:55-2:00 mark. That relaly does not make sense to stop then.

They have to stop because of the two hour driver time limit. I'm not saying change the 5 minute pit stop I'm just suggesting that all stops on the driver limited 2 hour mark have to do a 5 minute stop regardless of adding fuel or not. 

37 minutes ago, hotrod said:

They have to stop because of the two hour driver time limit. I'm not saying change the 5 minute pit stop I'm just suggesting that all stops on the driver limited 2 hour mark have to do a 5 minute stop regardless of adding fuel or not. 

My opinion, non issue,tires are more important then culling a few cars taking advantage of being 1.5x fuel heavy.

3 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

My opinion, non issue,tires are more important then culling a few cars taking advantage of being 1.5x fuel heavy.

I agree that tires may be the bigger issue but I do think fuel heavy cars that can double stunt fuel while running lap times similar to the leaders should also be looked at. No reason both things can’t happen. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I realize this is my first post, but after wasting the better part of an hour that I will never get back reading this mind-numbing thread. For those arguing that the density of fuel effects the ChampCar volume measurement: I would like to know which dimension of the fuel cell changes when you take your car from Florida to Wisconsin? 

I don't care if it's measured with fuel, golf balls, or hot dogs, the dimensions of the container would have to change in order to measure a different VOLUME capacity with a fill test. In fact, if it's a rectangular cell I can easily measure the volume without fuel at all using tape measure!

Fuel density vs. temperature shouldn't even be mentioned in a ChampCar thread because there is nothing in the rules about fuel weight or mass in the rule book.

image.png.589983abeb565ea62b0faf56a47871a9.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, LanterneRouge said:

I realize this is my first post, but after wasting the better part of an hour that I will never get back reading this mind-numbing thread. For those arguing that the density of fuel effects the ChampCar volume measurement: I would like to know which dimension of the fuel cell changes when you take your car from Florida to Wisconsin? 

I don't care if it's measured with fuel, golf balls, or hot dogs, the dimensions of the container would have to change in order to measure a different VOLUME capacity with a fill test. In fact, if it's a rectangular cell I can easily measure the volume without fuel at all using tape measure!

Fuel density vs. temperature shouldn't even be mentioned in a ChampCar thread because there is nothing in the rules about fuel weight or mass in the rule book.

image.png.589983abeb565ea62b0faf56a47871a9.png

Amen bruh. Hopefully the last hold outs understand this since it has been described in many different ways in these 10 or 15 pages to illustrate the point. 

Welcome to the forum. What team are you with?

• Like 1