Speed creep vs cost creep

29 minutes ago, chip said:

Ok, I’ll add the same conclusion as everyone else.

with the Ronald’s Racers car we ran both an m50 and the m20. I don’t have any data for this so I don’t know exact lap times (only bad memory), but the differences between that car and @Chris Hugginscars right now is night and day.  Weight wise, the RR car and the aero car are close, the RR car ran Falken 615’s in 205, aero runs 245. But if we look at the best times for the RR car and compare to the aero car (before it had the aero and wider tires) I think the lap times are very similar on VIR full, but with all that the aero car is today the lap times are prolly 8-9 seconds faster.  Part of this is the aero, wider tires, suspension, more available fuel due to hydro mats and surge tank (less fuel conservation), and better driving (driver lineups). 

You also had the MOV stupidity back then, so you didn’t drive all out the entire race.

Plus I have been able to teach you a few things since then. 

• Haha 2

• Technical Advisory Committee

When I ran my first chump race at VIR it was 2013

That same year I did a HPDE at VIR with my S13/LS1 making 400 HP and Hoosiers.

My S13 laptime was 2:14

Driver mod, driver mod, driver mod.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2021 at 6:22 AM, MR2 Biohazard said:

. That is what makes it fun. Barber is the same way for me.

Yep, Rd. America makes you realize that you have to really trust your car to go fast!  As much as I feel Barber is the "Augusta" of racing, I cannot get over the poor level of driving there last year and am happy not to go back...

10 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

The way the points have dropped over the last few years....If you have money you can build a stupid fast car. 

And yet, well seasoned E30s and a CRX have been pretty dominant this season......

1 hour ago, Ian said:

And yet, well seasoned E30s and a CRX have been pretty dominant this season......

And both of them have bullsh*t swap weights. The E30 was based on what...about the heaviest E30 ever built? 

The CRX is even worse. Automobile-catalog lists the car as 2011#. The swap calculator lists it as 2318#. Oh wait...it's a performance "equalizer" where somebody convinced somebody else that the swap weight needed to be hiked to drop the VPI, lol. And amazingly, it only holds 11.9 gallons of fuel in the stock tank. 

🙄

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Snorman said:

And both of them have bullsh*t swap weights. The E30 was based on what...about the heaviest E30 ever built? 

The CRX is even worse. Automobile-catalog lists the car as 2011#. The swap calculator lists it as 2318#. Oh wait...it's a performance "equalizer" where somebody convinced somebody else that the swap weight needed to be hiked to drop the VPI, lol. And amazingly, it only holds 11.9 gallons of fuel in the stock tank. 

🙄

You're not wrong.  But neither is what I'd consider a high dollar build.

11 hours ago, Ian said:

Well if I had the time and a few extra $ I'd be in something like this, but with newer better go-fast parts. I doubt either could keep up. IROC.jpg.c59883053e54bcba91207cee32cbd577.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mhr650 said:

Been done, and it was glorious to watch. RIPmaxresdefault.jpg.ddaf627f4d77e25e139f8746fc0a8f47.jpg

So 150 vpi? Swap weight of 3150, 21 gallons?

Would you build the V8 engine or swap something modern and light in? Wikipedia says it came with a 6.6L? Sounds nuts.

You could swap in about 230hp without the swap calculator freaking out, a BMW straight six? Or a SBF :)

Or just turbo a light 4 banger?

If the CRX is 2300lbs, then this should have 4000lbs swap weight.

3 hours ago, turbogrill said:

So 150 vpi? Swap weight of 3150, 21 gallons?

Would you build the V8 engine or swap something modern and light in? Wikipedia says it came with a 6.6L? Sounds nuts.

You could swap in about 230hp without the swap calculator freaking out, a BMW straight six? Or a SBF :)

Or just turbo a light 4 banger?

If the CRX is 2300lbs, then this should have 4000lbs swap weight.

stated weight of a Gen III T/A is 3644lbs. I wouldn't use the big block, I'd use a 90's 350. 

14 hours ago, Snorman said:

🙄

Funny how that works. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turbogrill said:

Why not something light and modern? The camaro seems super heavy?

I assume these cars are expensive to buy now? So would be a very pricey build?

Because it's bitchin!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2