Results - 2021 The Doc Waldrop Spirit of ChampCar Enduro at Barber Motorsports Park

Bill Strong

901 Motorsports brought the #901 and #903 e30s to Barber, figuring it couldn’t really rain/snow/monsoon for the 4th year in a row….

While we wished it wouldn’t rain, we knew it was good for us.  The cars are great in the rain, and as a team we have turned lots of rainy laps in recent years.  #903 started Saturday 17th, on a damp track, and Grant quickly showed that the car was hooked and we had pace.  He had a great drive, was immediately up to 5th and rolled along from 4th to 6th as we watched the nasty radar and blackening sky.

When the heavens opened, we were close to a driver’s change and had a decision to make— stay on our shallow tread softer tires with their damp track grip, or switch to rains for hydroplaning resistance.  I figured the hard rain was soon going to pass so made the call for my stint, “I don’t need the rains, the damp tires are faster, how bad can it get?”  That was a terrible choice.

I (Brett) spent the next two hours trying to channel Colin McRae as I was sideways more than straight.  I love the wet and enjoy sliding a car, but this was the hardest two hours I’ve ever done.  The car was hooked up in the corners and we had enough pace to get into 1st and open good gap, but the hydroplaning was terrible whenever the rain got hard, with skating and wheel-spin on the straights (sample video below about 3hr 30min into the race).  Poor Frank had to listen to me whine on the radio, but no way I was going to pit early and lose 1st.  But I sure was happy to get out of the car.

Aaron got in, we changed to full depth rains, and out he went.  I was a nervous wreck (is hard to watch your kid race sometimes) but he was flawless.  He was the fastest car on the track all stint, and kept telling us he had a couple more seconds of pace if needed.  I usually dismiss such a claim as driver crapola (it certainly is when I say it), but when Aaron pushed for a lap near the end of his stint, he chopped 4 seconds 😲.

Aaron handed the car off the Craig to close the deal.  The rain started easing a bit, we had a lap lead, but those last 2 hours were endless. But another flawless drive, fast as anyone and smooth and safe through traffic, and Craig brought home the win.

We got this one right. Led 130 of 190 laps, wet for all of them, monsoon for some of them, never spun or dropped a wheel, and the car didn't have a mark on it. Huge thanks to the crew for awesome work before, during and after the race.  And congrats to all the teams who battled through some truly nasty conditions.  

Sunday the #903 finished 4th, unable to overcome the one lap winner’s penalty.  We didn’t have anything for the GMS RX-7, anyway; congrats to them on a great run!  Sure was fun to turn some dry laps on this great track.

#901 had a more mixed weekend.  Sensor issue on Saturday meant we parked her early, and Sunday had some little issues that took her out of the top 10, so we started playing, even getting our fueler in the car to do the last stint.

As always, huge thanks to the ChampCar staff and volunteers for putting on a great weekend, and to the corner workers who got soaked so we could play.

Brett Shanaman

901 Motorsports

#901, #903

Edited by eyeballs19
  • Like 10

Race #6 for the Battle Wagon at Barber Motorsports Park went better in some ways than expected. 71 cars entered on Saturday and 59 started on Sunday.
Saturday was an almost total washout. With the welded diff and not great wet tires we slogged on Saturday to a very slow race and with 15 min left in our 8 hour race my brand new high quality AMAZON throttle cable broke. At that point we were just happy to be done..

Sunday was complete turn around on weather and performance for us. We started the day with my 71 year old father who surprised us all with a strong first stint getting us up to 15th when he came out of the car. Next up is our renter driver Mike Broddle who I knew was fast but WOW. His stint started off rough with someone running into our passenger rear and breaking a wheel and tire. That unexpected tire change knocked us down the ladder but did not slow us down a bit. Mike set a new fast lap for our car at Barbers with a 1.43.9 .. To put that lap time into perspective out of the 71 entrants that was the 5th fastest lap of the weekend overall. Not too bad for an old 240 wagon I thought. After Mike's blistering stint Stephen stepped in with only wet weather experience around the track and a solid run. During Stephens run we noticed the water temp's were unusually higher than expected and we brought him in to top off the water. That brought things back in place for the rest of the day or so we thought. I recently installed a new low fuel warning system and were planning on stretching out the fuel mileage to try and salvage a few laps lost during the unexpected tire change. I got in the car without a fuel stop in hopes that the car would hold out for at least the last hour of the day but we were WAY OFF and 15min into my stint we ran out of fuel.. I was barely able to get the car back into the pits for a splash of fuel but per champ rules fuel stops are 5min mandatory so we sat and waited.

The car finished 20th out of 59 starters and 16th in Class C. Other than a few self inflicted issues and some help from other cars we had a very successful weekend. I plan on doing some major improvements to the car over the next few months to replace the originally hacked together dash and wiring setup in hopes of improving performance and reliability.

-Sam

Edited by roadracer4life
  • Like 5

Thank you all for a fun weekend. 

Two drivers 15 hours of track time split almost down the line: perfect.

Saturday: we just made laps as I was too cheap to buy new tires for all four corners.  Wheel spin & hydroplaning was constant.

Saturday: was as racy as our Lincoln can get.  Wheel spin in 4 gear cresting the hill at turn 4 & 14 even in the dry if throttle application or line wasn’t great.  I see why the mustang and the nova crashed at 4: more power = harder throttle application technique & feel.  In the Lincoln it was just an annoyance, but I can see it unsettling the car if you had real power.

I should be encouraged as our lap times were very weak but our results were fair.  But honestly, I am waning on my desire to field the Lincoln. 

My brother posted our vides to the youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbJ3ChuOMVI fairly boring stuff if you need a nap it’ll get you in the mood.

I think we were close to the ugliest car on track.  But the Vicks, Visceral, & the Cavalier kept us out of the top five even on that list.    

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Okay, here goes...

Saturday.

Wet, but drying track.  Erik Hardy goes out and starts moving up the field from like 37th place.  He sets the fast time of the day with not much eventful.   I believe there was a minor off that put some grass in the grill.  He was running 2nd and catching the leader fairly quickly.

Then, we get a mysterious black flag for contact.  No marks found on the car.  The other car also had no marks and said no contact occurred.  Oh well, dropped back to 11th place.

Then, we pitted and I got in the car.  I was able to keep pace with the leaders and start climbing back up the order.  Then, I spun after turn 4.  I must have spun 3 or 4 times.  Anybody with video of that, it would be appreciated!

Then, the wipers just stopped working.  Great.  I kept driving for another 20 mins or so and then had the big scary moment.  I hit my regular braking point for turn 1 and nothing happened.  I was going off into the gravel at full speed.  While sitting in the gravel, a few more cars went off.  One got VERY close.  Video from their car will be loaded later.  It was CLOSE!

At this point, (about 1 hour into my stint), we were still in the top 10 and could run quick laps.  Then, the bottom of the clouds fell out.  I couldn't see puddles on the track and was just hanging on for dear life.  I brought the car in to at least fix the wipers.

Once the wipers were fixed, I found that nobody wanted to go out and race in the rain.  I even asked some trusted drivers from other teams...  nope.  Nobody.

The car that set the fastest time of the day sat in the paddock all ready to go.  Lolzers.

We prepped the car for Sunday and went and had dinner while watching f1 qualifying.  Good times!

Sunday!

My wife Julie goes to move the car from the paddock to the pitlane.  Brock (One of Tyler Pedersens crew) noticed the car leaking fuel....

Sure enough, I turn on the fuel pump and it's spraying fuel all over the place from under the intake manifold.  Like everywhere!  We have 15 mins before we roll out....

We dug in, got the manifold off, found an injector seal was fracked.  Borrowed one from a BMW injector (thanks @E. Tyler Pedersen and Kip!).  However, when we took the injector rail out, all the fuel that was puddles, went right into the engine.  Poop.

We pulled the plugs and cleared the fuel out of the cylinders.  Put the intake back together and got the plugs and wires on.  Hit the start button.....    SHE LIVES!

Erik Hardy gets in the car and lays down some seriously fast lap times.  He traded #242 Blitzkreig for fast lap that stint (and all day).

Erik gets us in first and does his almost 2 hours.  Fcy allowed us a cheap pit stop and I got in the car for around 1 hour before the quiet hour.

Some cars did not pit for fuel and we were worried that they would be able to driver change only later in the race as well.  We pushed really hard.  I laid down some of my best times that hour after the quiet hour.  

We caught another fcy to pit to put Erik back in the car.  He was absolutely on fire and turned the fastest lap of the weekend.  Clean stint (afaik).

We caught another caution to pit with about 1.5 hours left.  I was pushing hard and had a fun couple laps with visceral racing.  We went slideways door to door though a couple of corners and then they backed off a bit.

At this point, I was told we had a 2 lap lead over cone crushers and visceral slipped to 3rd.

At about the same time, I started getting low oil pressure warnings on the tighter turns.  I started backing off.  I started to make the biggest slowest arcs I could in a lot of the corners so I didn't hurt the engine. (I didn't.  I have 2 alarms set, and only the first warning was alarming).  My last few laps were very slow just trying to keep the oil pressure in a happy spot.

I'll add a couple of shout outs later that are very important to me.

1) Julie

2) Kip

3) ErikResized_20211212_170038(0).jpeg.256e1c1f48ca2934055cd19eaa121c4e.jpeg1212211657(1).jpg.3e6c79ad3ee195d81efbcf3a68f5e997.jpgResized_20211212_163005.jpg.a967b59f9061c2edf78b0da81626c490.jpg

• Like 13

Thr3ve Racing finished both days at Barber and drove to the checkers.  We only had one issue with our defroster on Saturday but we came in and fixed it right around our planned pit window.    We finished 17th overall on Sunday after starting a lap down.  All in all, a great weekend and we had a blast.  

8E992C7C-655A-4F09-9B1D-364A2FAACD84.jpeg

8D0D2A9B-946A-417A-88A2-88D9755AFFA2.jpeg

Edited by Turd Ferguson
  • Like 7

On 12/15/2021 at 11:29 AM, Ben 595 said:

Thank you all for a fun weekend. 

Two drivers 15 hours of track time split almost down the line: perfect.

Saturday: we just made laps as I was too cheap to buy new tires for all four corners.  Wheel spin & hydroplaning was constant.

Saturday: was as racy as our Lincoln can get.  Wheel spin in 4 gear cresting the hill at turn 4 & 14 even in the dry if throttle application or line wasn’t great.  I see why the mustang and the nova crashed at 4: more power = harder throttle application technique & feel.  In the Lincoln it was just an annoyance, but I can see it unsettling the car if you had real power.

I should be encouraged as our lap times were very weak but our results were fair.  But honestly, I am waning on my desire to field the Lincoln. 

My brother posted our vides to the youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbJ3ChuOMVI fairly boring stuff if you need a nap it’ll get you in the mood.

I think we were close to the ugliest car on track.  But the Vicks, Visceral, & the Cavalier kept us out of the top five even on that list.    

I had some awesome, clean racing with y’all during the first stint on Sunday morning!  I thought you got into my RR in T13.  But when I talked to your driver in the Pits after I got out he said that a Miata had hit me.  😂

875B0D5D-1366-47FC-A9BB-F7F4E6F879D3.jpeg

• Like 2

@Turd Ferguson

That was me. I liked racing with both you and the miata. I was kind of a tool at the track, I knew where you both were pitted but I didn’t want to start an argument between yall and neither of yall specifically asked so I let it go.  What happens when two nice guys hit each other on the track?  Do they stop being nice guys?  Kinda chicken of me.

Miata & e-36 contact:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbJ3ChuOMVI one hour and 2 min 45 sec in

then later I had this one with your car also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LLl_sEgiD8 45 min 30 sec

but like most my vids especially from the Lincoln these were very exciting moments in the car but some how boring on the youtube. 

My scariest moment of the weekend came a few min later on that second vid at fifty two min and twenty sec.  When a different miata has a moment in front of your car then forces action from me.   I showed this clip to a friend at work who doesn’t race and he didn’t even see it…  so even my big pucker moment is labeled ‘boring’.  

Edited by Ben 595
tence

26 minutes ago, Ben 595 said:

My scariest moment of the weekend came a few min later on that second vid at fifty two min and twenty sec.  When a different miata has a moment in front of your car then forces action from me.   I showed this clip to a friend at work who doesn’t race and he didn’t even see it…  so even my big pucker moment is labeled ‘boring’.  

Yes it was quite scary indeed, especially after you passed.  That was my wife at the wheel and I had a front row seat from the pit wall.  The car finally stopped, facing backwards about 45 degrees near the center of the track, with 4-5 cars coming around T17.  I am extremely thankful for the alertness and abilities of every driver who rounded that corner.  Thank you.  

Over the radio she communicated what a bonehead she felt like, hit the reset button, and continued on to a 1:46 in an unswapped miata seeing the track for the first time.  She has a new favorite track now, but it's 746 miles away...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just realized I didn't do a race report.  Probably nobody cares at this point, but I will do it for the record.  We had a good turnout for the Doc tribute at Warehouse 25 Friday night.  Thanks to everyone that came and for those that had stories to tell.  I think most of the food was consumed as well as a good many of the PBR's that Casey, Paul, Tiffany had stocked up to drink in Doc's honor.

Saturday I think we started 3rd from last, our transponder wasn't working so about 6 or 8 laps in we had to come in and swap it out, putting us dead last of course.  We weren't setting anything on fire but working up some.  When it started raining we came in and put the black wall tires on and we did ok the rest of the day in the rain.  It stopped raining with an hour or so left so our advantage started drying up even with a damp track.  We had nothing for 903 but had 2nd until then but once things dried up some the blue E46 caught us with about 20 min left and we ended up 3rd, about the best we could have hoped for.

Post race, they took the top 3 to the Muletown dyno.  903 had an expected pull.  We were next, I had left it running while waiting because I have had trouble with starts all day and I didn't want to shut it off.  The dyno guy said shut it off when I got on the dyno so he could tie it down.  I did but when I went to start it, I had no fuel pressure.  Took a few min to find a bad fuel pump relay.  Too late for a pull at Barber since quiet time starts at 5pm.  The next morning we went back and did 2 pulls, 179 and 185.  About 20 less than it should be.  Sorry to the Blitzkrieg guys, I know you really wanted to do a pull.

We started near the front Sunday due to the inverse start and took the lead for a short time.  That lack of 20hp showed up pretty quickly as we started to fall back.  We took an early gamble on a fuel stop that buried us.  A full yellow came out later which totally negated that gamble.  I started after the red flag quiet hour, just clicking off laps with a clutch that was slipping pretty badly.  About 45 min in the engine went kaboom.  This was an engine Chris Huggins bought from a junkyard near Road Atlanta for $300 almost 2 years ago during the practice day after we had spun a rod bearing that day.  We put it in that night and raced the next day finishing 4th in the snow and has given no trouble until Sunday's race.  It ran 2 full days at COTA, 14 hours at Sebring, 2 days at Barber last year, 2 days at Road America, several practice days in between, and 1-1/2 days at this Barber weekend until she finally turned loose.  May she rest in peace after giving good service.  After loading up our car up early, Scott and Rich offered me the last stint in the Cone Crusher car and we ended up bringing it in on the podium for 2nd place.

Thanks to everyone at CCES that makes these races possible.  Congrats to 901 and GMS, well done.  Thanks to Casey and Tiffany for hosting the Friday social.  Thanks to my teammates Chris Preston and Casey Hooper for doing what you do to keep this team going.  Now, I gotta go find time to build an engine so we can do it again.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2021 at 12:43 AM, Rodger Coan-Burningham said:

About 45 min in the engine went kaboom.  This was an engine Chris Huggins bought from a junkyard near Road Atlanta for $300 almost 2 years ago during the practice day after we had spun a rod bearing that day.  We (THEY installed the engine while I waited at a rest stop a few exits down the road perfectly timing my arrival to keep my hands clean) put it in that night and raced the next day finishing 4th in the snow and has given no trouble until Sunday's race.  It ran 2 full days at COTA, 14 hours at Sebring, 2 days at Barber last year, 2 days at Road America, several practice days in between, and 1-1/2 days at this Barber weekend until she finally turned loose.  May she rest in peace after giving good service.  After loading up our car up early, Scott and Rich offered me the last stint in the Cone Crusher car and we ended up bringing it in on the podium for 2nd place.

FIFY