WATKINS GLEN: Test+7+7-Hour Enduro, $1850
Watkins Glen, NY
"ChampYard Dog at the Glen"
Early Pay Discount Ends: March 28, 2022
Event Director: dana.morrison@champcar.org
Entrant List
Download Supplemental Rules and Event Info

On 2/6/2022 at 8:43 PM, petawawarace said:

We’re hoping to make our first race here.  Going by the supps it appears the test day is only 3hrs? Is that right? 

Yeah, that’s pretty confusing as written. I recall it being 1300-1700 in the past. 

Be forewarned: Unless there have been some changes, the line for Tech can be brutal. 

• 1 month later...

Can someone clarify this for me? 
This will be our first time doing a US Champcar event so please bare with my ignorance. I like being very prepared for this sort of thing and if it’s a test day I want to maximize track time for me and my drivers.  

Friday seems like there’s lots of things happening all at once. 
We can enter at 9am. Tech and registration starts at noon. That’s fine.   Then there’s a 2 hr drivers meeting for the test session? Is that right?  Then on track testing from 3-6?

Then the novice drivers meeting at 5:30?  

Am I wrong in thinking it’s going to be difficult to get much track time on Friday between Tech and the novice meeting? 

Is there going to be a mad rush to get online for tech at 9am to sit and wait?    

7 minutes ago, petawawarace said:

Can someone clarify this for me? 
This will be our first time doing a US Champcar event so please bare with my ignorance. I like being very prepared for this sort of thing and if it’s a test day I want to maximize track time for me and my drivers.  

Friday seems like there’s lots of things happening all at once. 
We can enter at 9am. Tech and registration starts at noon. That’s fine.   Then there’s a 2 hr drivers meeting for the test session? Is that right?  Then on track testing from 3-6?

Then the novice drivers meeting at 5:30?  

Am I wrong in thinking it’s going to be difficult to get much track time on Friday between Tech and the novice meeting? 

Is there going to be a mad rush to get online for tech at 9am to sit and wait?    

We aren't racing at WGI this year, but have each year since 2014.  The tech line will be very long and likely take 2+ hours.  The drivers meeting for the test day won't be 2 hours, maybe 15 minutes, like a normal drivers meeting.  Seems like a couple typos in there.  Test sessions usually are 1-3 for point by and 3-5 for open passing.  Novice meeting is after all that, so no worries about interfering.  If you want to maximize on-track time, get in line early.  Keep in mind, WGI doesn't do hot pulls, only full course cautions to remove stopped cars.  So sometimes, 1 or 2 cars could sit out on track (if in a safe spot) for a while before a FCY is shown.

• Like 1

• Administrators

There will be a bunch of updates soon once Dana starts talking with the track. These are based on last years supps. 

3 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

There will be a bunch of updates soon once Dana starts talking with the track. These are based on last years supps. 

The Friday schedule is quite different from last year. Like, scary different.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, B-Rad said:

The Friday schedule is quite different from last year. Like, scary different.

I probably screwed it up somehow. we will look at it soon

Get in the tech line as soon as the car hits the pavement. Sooner that’s done the easier your weekend. Big event, lots of cars will need tech. Just get going as early as you can and you will be fine 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 5/7/2022 at 9:54 AM, Hammerheads said:

Is there a database for who has reserved a garage? I’m positive I did when we signed up, but it doesn’t show when I log in and check the entry. I’ve emailed Dana twice with no reply (vacation time?). 

You are not listed with a garage. And I don't show a garage payment made. Just the transponder.
Dana should get back to you if you emailed him about a garage if they are available.

• Administrators

We have a good history of what happens as we approach the event. We will have last minute dropouts, and folks that can't pass tech, people that die of old age waiting in the tech line, or broke cars during the test and tune. 
Dana is really good at this stuff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

What Bill is trying to say is, even though there are 115 on the entry list, there will likely end up with around 100 come the green flag on Saturday.  And even if there were 115, it would be just fine.  WGI is a big track.  

It's not like it will be 6-wide everywhere....(where's my green font?)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, petawawarace said:

I thought there was a cap of 100 cars for this event?  There's 115 on the entry list.  Not gonna lie, I'm quite nervous about racing with that many cars.  I get that its fun and exciting with so many cars, but holy crap.

Time to buy some Big Boy pants.

On 5/10/2022 at 3:33 PM, Bill Strong said:

people that die of old age waiting in the tech line. 

Is there anything being discussed for this?  100+ cars, at least 50% needing to go through tech, 15 minutes per car.  That's 12-13 hours of tech time as a rough estimate. 

Edited by MMiskoe

49 minutes ago, MMiskoe said:

Is there anything being discussed for this?  100+ cars, at least 50% needing to go through tech, 15 minutes per car.  That's 12-13 hours of tech time as a rough estimate. 

Well, probably half that time since there will probably be at least 2 tech people.  So, 6 to 7 hours?  Seems about right.

Whatcha gotta do is bribe the crap out of the tech people and give them lots of beer.  This is not to get your car through tech quicker, but so they won't notice when you steal a tech sticker.  Then forge their name.

Then, you gotta go talk to registration real nice and act like you don't know how your car isn't listed as being teched.  It's got a sticker already! 

Or, just plan accordingly and figure out what you can do with the car to make it better while still being mobile.

Or, this is what I recommend (and usually actually do when attending WGI):  go to the bar on Thursday night and drink all of the things with the Canadians.  Then, don't make any attempt to do anything productive except make it through tech on friday.

• Like 1

Is there any more info on this gear self check?  Do we need to fill anything out? We don’t need to bring any gear through tech with us? 

Also, we are staying at the Seneca Lodge.  Never been before.  Is there room to park our truck and trailer there Thursday night?  

Edited by petawawarace