RACE Sat 14 hr Enduro - EC Official Res...pdf

Friday Practice - Bill Strong / ChampCar 
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ruyf6kRZWwZossmb6

Saturday Race - Bill Strong / ChampCar

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AezwXDpUrutyUKabA

Podium images

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aCTEGdJW2FQcJo4o6

Race images by Vici Photography

https://viciphotography.pixieset.com/guestlogin/champcarroadatlanta/?return=%2Fchampcarroadatlanta%2F

ChampCar.live

Part 1 - 

Part 2 

Top 10

1    977        NLS Racing 240SX 1993 Nissan 240sx (Black) 
2    255        Leviathan Motorsports 1991 Toyota mr2 (Orange Black)  
3    160        Running Bulls Racing 1988 BMW 325e (Gray/Red) 
4    8        Hong Norrth - Tr0nsAm2 1993 Mazda MX3 (Blue)  
5    341        On Second Thought Racing 1991 Mazda Miata (Black)  
6    19        Team Infiniti 1994 Infiniti J30 (Silver) 
7    186        Crank Yankers Racing 1989 BMW 325i (Purple Sparkles)
8    80        John Allen Special 2007 Mini Cooper S (Black)   
9    250        Rotary Rocketeers 1990 Mazda RX7 (Red) 
10    865        Thr3ve Racing 1992 BMW 325is (Black / Orange)  

A Class     On Second Thought Racing 1991 Mazda Miata (Black)
B Class     John Allen Special 2007 Mini Cooper S (Black)

C Class     NLS Racing 240SX 1993 Nissan 240sx (Black)

D Class     Team Infiniti 1994 Infiniti J30 (Silver)

EC             Denton Carden Racing 2008 Mazda MX-5 (Silver)

• Like 6

Thr3ve Racing had our best finish (10th overall) and quickest laps ever at Road Atlanta!  After 7 years of us participating in ChampCar, the Flagtronics system is a game changer.  Kudos to everyone that had anything to do with bringing that idea to fruition.  Thanks to Pitmates Cone Crushers and Rocketham Racing.  Especially Rocketham for disposing of our old, spare radiator for us.  🙂

98A62BAB-8DBB-4490-815F-EFF8B52A568E.jpeg

Edited by Turd Ferguson
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, revvhappy said:

It was interesting to see a Lotus Elise on track. I can't find the car on the VPI list. 

You don't find E46M3's on there either. It was an EC car

1 hour ago, revvhappy said:

It was interesting to see a Lotus Elise on track. I can't find the car on the VPI list. 

It's there, it's right above the listing for the Toyota MKII Supra with a Honda engine.

Sorry about y'all's car.  Hopefully it's not too bad to repair.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, revvhappy said:

really?!  I wonder how they caged it.  I look at mine and shake my head.  

The first shout-out goes to the weather. We could not have asked for a better day racing! We also want to thank the ChampCar team for a great event. Flagtronics, too, is a real game changer. Looking forward to seeing the system evolve and improve. 

It wasn't the race that we were hoping for, but as they say - "In order to finish first you must first finish". And at least we finished. Things that have worked flawlessly for the last 4 seasons on this car decided to take Road Atlanta as the opportunity to stop working. At least we got some of these gremlins out of the way when were were only a few hours away from home rather than happening after driving 16 hrs to Daytona or Sebring. 

We should have known it was going to be a wild ride when we were second in line for the roll-out. Immediately headed up the hill at T1 the car began losing traction and spun at 3. We were getting calls into the Pits from Thr3ve and Cone Crushers that our tires were 'smoking' - which was just the coolant (10% as per the sups...) burning off the tires because at some point immediately upon pulling out of the pits the radiator busted. So we went from 2nd to dead last before the green flag even dropped. An hour later in the pits with the loan of a "questionable" radiator, we were back in action and starting to turn decent laps - although with one eye on the temps....

The next surprise was when our solenoid kill switch decided to stay killed, so another 30 minutes in the pits to chase that one down. Then the rearview self-destructed somewhere around the midway point of the race. We thought we could tough it out with the side views (what would Dan Gurney do?) for the remainder of the session, but a few surprising overtakes underscored how unwise that decision would be. We caught Ron and Disco just as they were loading up and heading out to grab a replacement (new add to the kit - replacement mirror components). A broken sway bar end link in the 8-10 hr mark added to the "it's racing" moments. That said, we were able to come off the track with a good list of things to update/replace before Daytona - and none of it bodywork!

At the end of the day we brought the checker home in 21st overall, 9th in C. 

1.jpg

• Like 11

I should read the rules more closely, I didn't realize any car could compete in EC. It was great to see it on track and race with. 

Congratulations to the Running Bulls!

19 minutes ago, jakks said:

You don't find E46M3's on there either. It was an EC car

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rodger Coan-Burningham said:

It's there, it's right above the listing for the Toyota MKII Supra with a Honda engine.

Sorry about y'all's car.  Hopefully it's not too bad to repair.

Touche, Roger 😅    Doesn't the Lotus have a Toyota engine from a car on the VPI list?  Close enough 😅

The Supra will live to fight another day. Most of the damage was sheetmetal and the driver was shaken but not hurt (story to follow). Shout out to Champcar safety rules. 

Road Atlanta Race Recap – On Second Thought 341 Miata

Cliff notes -This was our teams first A class win, and first top 5 finish in a race!!  We’ve been fielding the car for the last 5 years, we’ve been leading the class a few times over the past year or so, but things didn’t end up working at the end of the race.  Finally we were able to bring it all together and get the win.  I can’t thank all of the drivers enough for putting in good lap times, and keeping things clean to bring the car home with the win!

Thank you to Champcar for putting on a great race on Saturday, it was great to get a full 14hrs in this year!   Fortunately the weather worked out great for the race. 

Thursday - I pulled the truck/trailer in to the track around 5:30.  Got the car unloaded and in the tech line.  I sat in the car with an umbrella covering me for most of the time, as the rain was really hard for some periods.  I was lucky enough to be the last car to get through tech at 10pm Thursday. 

Friday – Did a little bit of trouble shooting early in the day on a bad wide band O2 in the car.  Unfortunately I didn’t have a spare in the trailer, so ended up having to change the tune in our Megasquirt to just run off the base table numbers, with no O2 adjustment.  In the afternoon we cycled through all 4 drivers for a little bit of time in the car as this is the first time we had been at Road Atlanta with Aero and some suspension changes.  Feedback was positive for how the car felt and worked.  Pulled the car in at the end of the day for a quick once over, nothing noted for issues.  Threw on a set of 1 race old RS4s from last year to run the race with. 

Saturday – Our race strategy was to hopefully make it 2hrs on fuel, 7 stints total for the day.  Good for us, each stint there were at least 10 min of FCY that helped us reach the 2hr stint time, if not we would have been lucky to make it 1:45 all green.  4 out of the 7 stints we came in with fuel starvation right at the 2hr mark. 

All of the drivers were reporting great racing with other teams (Green AOA NC, MADWAG Miata, JAS Mini, etc).  For the first 5.5hrs we were swapping the A class lead with the MADWAG Miata, the lead was swapping depending on who had the last pit stop.  Around that time the ended up with some brake problems on the car and had to pull the car off track.  This gave us ~7 lap lead over the 2nd place A class car. 

During this third stint Peter ended up running a 1:44.637 lap time, which is almost 2.5 sec faster than what we ran at the race last year.  I should also note that last year we were running some new Bridgestone RE71R… so we went 2.5 sec quicker on some used RS4s!  The aero on the car definitely made some big gains for us!

We continued getting lucky every stint with FCYs allowing us to get 2hr driver stints.  The car worked flawlessly, each stop it was just a driver change, fuel, check the oil, send it. 

Approximately 10 min from the end of the race the driver caught up to a big pack of cars going into 7, and got pushed out over the curb on the exit which as we have seen in a few other videos the area outside of the curb was a muddy/slick/rutted mess.  He ended up having a little bit of contact with the outside wall in the LF, but nothing that prevented finishing the race.  *If anyone has video of this, we would love to see it, as our camera died earlier in the race.*

Crossed the checker in 1st in A class (with a 16 lap lead to 2nd in class), and a 5th overall place.  We were extremely happy to finally put everything together to finish well. 

Have some work to do on the car before our next race at NCM, but we are looking forward to continuing this momentum into the race.    

73FD5BB7-1F68-468E-923C-C2070DE22086.jpeg

32AA1D04-3174-4503-9DDB-EEF2E377E66F.jpeg

• Like 16

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, Jer said:

really?!  I wonder how they caged it.  I look at mine and shake my head.  

From what I understand it was built as a race car. I think it was done by Lotus. But not certain. It is a left-hand drive. and stripped. 
They just needed to add a couple more bars to pass tech. 
It is Honda powered.

It ran in EC class.

I will find out more info as I really want to drive this car. I was offered a stint but did not bring my gear, and I was at the track to work. so... big sad face.

• Thanks 1

It was a challenging weekend for the Hong Norrth Supra, but we made the best of it and had a great time.

Test Day

I went out first in the 12:30 session with a drying track - took it easy and kept an eye on gauges. AFR was still too high and oil pressure too low. I sent out another driver right away from pit lane to get some laps. We brought the car to paddock and the oil pressure gauge read 5 psi at idle - not good. We sent someone to the parts store and picked up oil, filter, and a mechanical pressure gauge. I started the car and checked pressure and it indicate 45 psi at idle...WTF. We confirmed this with the mechanical gauge. It turned out that both wires on the sender were faulty and we replaced them, solving the problem. Our third driver went out at 3:30 for some laps, and two laps later he lost the car in T1, sliding off into the mud and hitting the tire wall. He was towed onto the track surface and drove to the paddock. The left tie rod was bent so we replaced it, then found the steering rack was also damaged. We replaced it with a spare and aligned the front end. The car seemed fine around paddock so we aimed the headlights and called it a day.

Race

We started the race with the car running fine, but soon the driver radioed in that the front right tire was locking up. We told him to back up the braking points and get through the stint. All seemed fine until the second driver indicated that the car had a problem about 15 minutes into his stint, the right front brake was still sensitive and something about a thumping sound from the suspension. A quick pit stop showed nothing visibly wrong so I had him drive to the paddock where I replace the right front caliper and rotor. The thumping noise was a heavily flat-spotted right front tire. He went back out and had no issues for 90 minutes. I was in the car next and had an uneventful drive, trying to avoid curbs and being cautious with the brakes. I was happy to turn a 1:42.8 and handed the car back to our first driver for another good stint. Driver 3 hopped in the car at 4pm and was turning laps until 5:45 when 2 bolts holding the left front control arm to the macstrut broke and he was along for the ride through a tire wall at the bottom of the esses. There was too much damage to fix. 

IMG_0300.jpg.eeaa738074e242593166a1100caa0f04.jpg

Congratulations to all the winners, including our sister Hong Norrth MX3 that made the podium on a 9-stop strategy!

• Like 5
  • Sad 5

2 minutes ago, Chappy said:

Cliff notes -This was our teams first A class win, and first top 5 finish in a race!!  We’ve been fielding the car for the last 5 years, we’ve been leading the class a few times over the past year or so, but things didn’t end up working at the end of the race.  Finally we were able to bring it all together and get the win.  I can’t thank all of the drivers enough for putting in good lap times, and keeping things clean to bring the car home with the win!

Congratulations, you guys worked hard to get it.

9 minutes ago, revvhappy said:

I didn't realize any car could compete in EC.

Well, any car per the rule that say something like "any car that meets our rules and isn't excessively superior" or something like that.

My weekend report:

I had planned to drive one stint with Ben in Leviathan and be in reserve for Cone Crushers if David didn't want to do a 2nd stint.  My first time out in the MR2 I was settling into my first time in a mid engine car when I am pretty sure I caught some fluid on the track (or maybe it was just lack of talent) at turn 7 and off I went into the Georgia red dirt.  I brought about a yard back to the pits on the splitter that had plugged the radiator.  Scott and Rich had alternator troubles twice and decided to park the 944, so not needed there. Ben asked if I wanted another stint, I accepted and drove the last stint.  Looked like we were a comfortable 4th until Visceral and Freddie Merc had their issues but we were still several laps behind NLS.  They apparently got a penalty which closed it up some, then they were keeping pace just ahead of me up by one lap.  They went into conserve mode toward the end and I passed to get on the lead lap. I pushed hard as I could hoping maybe to run them out of fuel which didn't happen.  We ended up over a minute behind, but gladly took a 2nd.  Thanks to Ben and the Leviathan team for letting me drive a fun car.  Congrats to NLS and thanks to everybody else there for coming, it was a fun weekend.  Thanks to CCES staff for putting on a great event.  Maybe the good weather will make teams forget the previous two years of snow and bring out max entries again next year. 

See y'all at NCM.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

From what I understand it was built as a race car. I think it was done by Lotus. But not certain. It is a left-hand drive. and stripped. 
They just needed to add a couple more bars to pass tech. 
It is Honda powered.

It ran in EC class.

I will find out more info as I really want to drive this car. I was offered a stint but did not bring my gear, and I was at the track to work. so... big sad face.

Picture would help, what series Elise??

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, 55mini said:

Picture would help, what series Elise??

Orange.
lol. I don't know. It looked like one of the original USA imports with the Toyota 2ZZ. My buddy Troy had a supercharged one. Which I think is what Jerry has too.
I am pretty certain it is a series 2 (sorry, typo) as it does not have the wider spats for the bigger tires (tyres).

Thanks to Champcar for the great weekend!  My first race at here and I had a blast.

Turned some good times and had a blast in the NLS 300zx. Its always a good time hanging with that crew.

The Event shirts were cool as well, thanks for doing those!  Small future suggestion,  can we get the graphic on the back of the shirt and the champ logo on the front?  Talking with a few people I think that was one of the holdups for them buying them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

NLS Racing Road Atlanta Race Report:

We had a lot of work ahead of us after our last race almost wrote off our main car and claimed an engine in the other. We divided and conquered. Firewall forward was almost completely replaced on the 240SX. We managed to get it all done just in time for the season opener at Road Atlanta. 

The early rain of the test day gave us some time to look over the cars. A few break-in laps for the 300ZX were needed to assess the engine condition. All our rental drivers hopped in and turned a few laps to get comfortable, as none had ever driven Rd. ATL. The 240 seemed as good as ever after all the repairs, other than a broken shift handle. Thank God for the test day. That could've ruined our chances on Saturday.

Cold, but no snow in the forecast, we started the race around the middle of the pack. The sun going down to turn 1 was quite challenging for the first hour or so. Not much to report for the first 8 hours of the day. Just clicking off laps in both cars resulted in them being solidly in the top 10. 

This is where things went awry. The 300 came in over-heating and white smoke out the tailpipe. Only one thing that can be and it’s not good. A blown head gasket later and the day was done for the 2nd car. At least the main car was still in the top 3. 

Somewhere around 5pm our driver reported a big crash on the back straight and we made the decisive move to pit, hoping for a full course caution. We nailed it. Caution out and now it was a race to beat the pace car out. New driver in, watching pit out count him down as he sees the pace car drawing closer and closer. A drag race down pit out and we just beat the pace car. This saved us a much needed lap as we were able to catch up to the back of the pack. 

Day quickly turned to night, and we had our two best night drivers ready to go. We settled into 2nd after Freddie Mercury had issues. We completed our final pitstop right at the 2hrs to go mark. Visceral out in front with no chance to catch them and a nice cushion to 3rd, we dialed it back a little to preserve fuel. One’s misfortune is another’s opportunity, Visceral crashed out handing us the lead. Sorry guys, you clearly dominated the race. Somewhere during that caution, our driver neglected to see a yellow flag. One black flag penalty later, our 3+ lap lead dwindled to just over 1 lap. We couldn’t afford any mistakes now. Low fuel light flickering, our nerves were on edge. We told our guy to just keep her between the ditches. No funny business. We made it! What a win. After almost scraping the car after our last race, our tenacity paid off.

A special shout out to our renters, @tyler_j, Ryan, and Kevin. You guys are great. You even hung out and helped after your days were done. Thanks. Scott who has been helping us on pitroad and fueling. You make our day easier to concentrate on the race. We really appreciate it. And of course, the obligatory thanks to all the family and friends for the love and support to do what we love. Finally, ChampCar, keep up the great work!!! Back at VIR-South God willing.

• Like 17

Running Bulls Racing report

Road Atlanta came quick for us. We had planned on an engine upgrade in the “off-season” and due to parts being incorrect we were crunched for time on getting it in. Off-season also meant doing almost a complete rebuild of the car. About the only thing we didn’t replace was the shocks and springs. We ended up getting everything done and dyno’ing the car the week before the race. Things were promising based on the way the car felt.

We got to the track Thursday night and was able to go through tech but had a few things to fix. Seat mounting, firewalls and harness collars. We spent the Friday morning getting the car fixed up and back through tech. No reason to run in the rain. We ran through each of our drivers and last driver out reported a loud pop and limped the car back in with it spewing steam. We had a freeze plug pop out. Possibly that one wasn't seated well enough during the build. Luckily, we brought extra and put a new one in and let it seat.

Saturday morning came and we drew a Top 15 starting spot. Andrew started us off and got us into the Top 10 pretty quickly. The car was superb and there weren’t many cars that were faster. Andrew kept plugging away and cracked the Top 5 eight laps into the race. He kept working traffic and by the end of his stint had the car in 2nd place, but there was a problem. New motor was thirsty and we had to pit due to starvation at about the one hour 40-minute mark.

Michael Bulls was next and by the time he got back out we were now in 18th place with the cars in front still needing to pit. By the time everyone pitted we were back in the Top 5, so it was going to be a day of 1:45 stints in order to keep enough fuel in the car and hope some of the cars that could go two hours had issues. About ¾ through his stint he reported the car was starting to pull to the right under heavy braking.  Said he could manage it but had to change his driving. By the time Bulls’ stint was over we were in 3rd place.

Matt Harper with Flyin’ Wrench was in next and he took the car out in 12th place. He reported mid-way through his stint that the pulling to the right was still there but was manageable. We were having a braking issue that we needed to look at next stop. Matt soldiered on and worked his way up through the field again was running 5th when he came in at the 1:45 mark.

Mike Merrill was next after we did a once over on the front brakes. Pads looked good and healthy but Matt said one of the front rotors was really blue. After some discussion and Mike reporting in that the car was still pulling, we told him to watch his braking points. Extra speed on track was causing us to brake harder at the points we were used to and overcooking the brakes. Another reminder “Slow in, fast out”. After changing his braking points, he reported no further issues. One problem solved and another (fuel) was starting to cause us issues with keeping car up in the Top 5. Merrill finished his stint with the car in 6th place.

Andrew got back in the car in 8th place. Car was solid and he had no issues with the brakes. “Head down, let’s pick up some time and positions.” There were very few cars faster during the stint and Andrew picked up 4 spots to put us into 4th.

Michael Bulls got back in and on track with us in 5th place. Top 5 was easily in reach and it's where we would stay for the rest of the race. He also reported no issues with the brakes after watching his brake points and not over-driving the corners.

Matt and Mike M would follow with us on the radio to Mike telling him shortly after he got in that there was a 3 lap gap to the car in front and a 4 lap gap to the car behind us. We were satisfied with a Top 5, but our competitors made some mistakes and suddenly we found ourselves in 3rd place with about an hour to go. “Do we tell him?” We all decided on not telling him and SooZee, his wife through text was in agreement. “Keep plugging away, Mike”

At the end of the race, we had managed a 3rd place. Best ever finish for the team in a ChampCar race and now it was time to pack up jack stands and impact to head to impound. First, we had to crack beers.

Thanks to our crew members this weekend, David Jones and SooZee Merril.

Also, we have to give a shout out to our biggest cheerleader and rival who is no longer with us, Doc Waldrop. For years he told us that he measured his team’s performance by ours. He always wanted to beat us, but just performing similar in races was a big win to Doc. He was certainly smiling down on us Saturday evening and would be proud of the team.

On to NCM!!!

273187374_4988813811179810_3730440707439545478_n.jpg

273519109_4992358920825299_7763359237066374496_n.jpg

273528571_4992358964158628_7940732898213784975_n.jpg

273568818_4992359130825278_5806081463163860906_n.jpg

Edited by jakks
  • Like 19

Didn't mention on our post race report, but I especially enjoyed the clean racing amongst most of the competitors especially CYR, the blue/yellow e46 in the first stint and the 3-445pm stint with Clive in the 918 and Freddie Mercury.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2022 at 10:22 AM, Bill Strong said:

Orange.
lol. I don't know. It looked like one of the original USA imports with the Toyota 2ZZ. My buddy Troy had a supercharged one. Which I think is what Jerry has too.
I am pretty certain it is a series 2 (sorry, typo) as it does not have the wider spats for the bigger tires (tyres).

Mine is not SC, but I still have the 2ZZ.  At High Plains it's pretty damn quick.  

The Elise-Dana Morrison knows it very well. He actually has the front end hood hanging in his garage from a prior accident. 

It was turned into a race car by 3R in Southern California and raced many years in SCCA. It has been sitting in pieces for the last 7 years trying to do an engine swap. 2 years ago, 8th grade students had a summer project with it. Unfortunately the supervising adult instructor on the project did not supervise the students well and they cut all the wires to the engine in the swap-so it has taken us 2 years to sort it out. From ACI at Road Atlanta, they were somewhat stumped by it, from people all the way to Mooresville looked at it. Finally 2 local guys were able to figure it out in 10 minutes-go figure! Unfortunately we did not get into the race until 11 pm once we got through a very well run tech inspection. Our kill switch was literally killing us until we got it out. We were surprised how well the car ran, unfortunately, the transponder  did not pick up. It was 7 until we switched them out. On the AIMS devices we had in the car, during the day we were running 141 and 142. Unfortunately we were not being tracked. In the evenings we were 144 -145 in the dark. The car had tremendous problems going through the S's. Turns 3 and 4 were difficult due to it being out of alignment. Looking forward to getting it worked out before Daytona and having a working transponder. But the car did finish! We had long pit stops so we could bring car to paddock to check oil, tires, etc. with the students. We were very pleased with our fellow competition and how the car hung in there. The Mustang, that was another story. The rear wheel snapped off. 10 seconds later it would have been a real problem on that back straight away. It will be at Daytona-after 3 years we finally figured out the power steering. I want to thank AOA for helping and all the other crew that jumped in to help get the students through tech along with the Champ tech guys. When going through tech and you have guys pulling for you, it makes a huge difference in the attitude and I thank you all. We have been to other race series that do not have the same camaraderie. It is like when you go to a state dinner-there is so many silverware you do not know where to begin-you do not know the proper etiquette. I really enjoy Champ and its direction. Everyone tries to support the drivers in Champ. Other race series can tar and feather you and run you through the town for everyone to see. That is what I like about Champ-it encourages people to make mistakes, learn from them, and foster a healthy racing environment. Safety is always top priority. 

• Like 13