Fluid Change Intervals

collinskl1

What intervals are you changing fluids in your cars?

I've been changing engine oil and brake fluid every race. Transmission fluid still looks new after 40 hours of run time, as does the differential oil. 

Obviously oil is relatively inexpensive, and changing them isn't that hard - but I'm not one to do un-needed work or waste materials that aren't required. Short of looking at color, smell, and maybe some oil analysis - what rules of thumb are you using to determine what service intervals to use?

• Like 1

We typically do every other race for oil and filter. Trans is check and add but changed at least every 3-4 races. Diff is once per season.  This past race…. No oil change needed. We added 4 quarts over 14 hrs at Road Atlanta..apparently that baffle is needed.. 

1DC85C45-8FB8-46EB-B07A-B43AB8C8B3C7.jpeg

• Like 1

Engine Trans weekend fluids are changed and some fresh brake fluid is flushed through every weekend. Diff is 2 weekends. We have parts made of unobtanium though.

We did 36 hours on the trans once and sent a sample to blackstone, they said it as fine but we noticed it not shifting as smooth as it should have. Now we just swap it out every weekend.

We use redline in engine and trans. Motul in the diff.

All fluids changed for every race. Always shop for specials on oil, transmission and brake fluid. Currently using Valvoline synthetic racing oil, motul brake fluid, and Ultra synthetic trans/diff oil. I have used a few other brands when I find a bargain. Always top synthetic oil but I don’t stick to any one brand. 

1 hour ago, TimS said:

If I sway from shell Rotella T4 15w40 we get silver bearing material in the oil, it doesn’t matter what else tried, can be the same weight from another manufacturer of equal quality.

I prefer Amilie universal synthetic in the automatic but suspect another high-end synthetic tranny fluid would work the same, the diff gets mobile one but not written in stone.

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 1