Fire System Change

55mini

Just talked to Pegasus on a new change for fire systems and had not seen this one yet. Sent our bottle in for refill and recertification and was called late today

and told the bottle will date out at the end of this year. It can be serviced and filled for the next 9 months but at that time it is out of service, understand that.

Next told the new FIA rule requires all systems to move from 6mm to 8mm and higher volume systems. So with that, the complete system needs changed to 8mm

lines and nozzles and new bottle. 

Also told no one offers new bottles for the old 6mm systems.

Putting this out so others can be made aware of changes ahead, maybe this has been discussed but I have not seen anything.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Hi Guys,

Brandon from Lifeline USA chiming in here. I will speak with Pegasus to see where they received this information, but FIA does not dictate tubing diameter or size in any way, they just care that you pass their test with an effective system. For the record, there are currently homologated FIA systems that use 6mm, 8mm, or 10mm tubing. So if your system came with 6mm or 10mm, leave it as designed, otherwise changing tubing diameter will effect dispersion and performance of the system, as it wasn't designed or intended to use a different size tubing.

On 3/3/2022 at 10:06 PM, 55mini said:

Just talked to Pegasus on a new change for fire systems and had not seen this one yet. Sent our bottle in for refill and recertification and was called late today

and told the bottle will date out at the end of this year. It can be serviced and filled for the next 9 months but at that time it is out of service, understand that.

Next told the new FIA rule requires all systems to move from 6mm to 8mm and higher volume systems. So with that, the complete system needs changed to 8mm

lines and nozzles and new bottle. 

Also told no one offers new bottles for the old 6mm systems.

Putting this out so others can be made aware of changes ahead, maybe this has been discussed but I have not seen anything.

Do you recall who you spoke with at Pegasus?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

On 3/9/2022 at 9:01 AM, Brandon Marshall said:

Hi Guys,

Brandon from Lifeline USA chiming in here. I will speak with Pegasus to see where they received this information, but FIA does not dictate tubing diameter or size in any way, they just care that you pass their test with an effective system. For the record, there are currently homologated FIA systems that use 6mm, 8mm, or 10mm tubing. So if your system came with 6mm or 10mm, leave it as designed, otherwise changing tubing diameter will effect dispersion and performance of the system, as it wasn't designed or intended to use a different size tubing.

Do you recall who you spoke with at Pegasus?

Brandon thank you as I was very confused myself from what I was told. It was further explained when I questioned it had to do with flow rate and nozzle requirements.

Change needed to cover all the technology changes in current race cars, more electronics and such needed more and higher flow. I was told you have to change the complete system to 8mm.

I'm sorry I don't have a name for you and maybe I misunderstood the information.

• 2 weeks later...