What tires for championship?

wvumtnbkr

I wanna do well / win the championship.

We run 15 x 10 wheels with 245 40 15 rs4.

I know we are giving up some time with the rs4.

I am very interested in the conti force tires.  However, the biggest they make is 225 15.  Okay, let's get wheels...

Oh, apparently nobody makes 15 x 8 or 15 x 9 wheels with 5 x 4.5 and about 4 inch backspace without weighing 20 plus pounds.

So, I either need some advice on where to find wheels, or what tires should I run on my 15 x 10s?

Silly question with a silly answer........ones that start out round and hold air.

I heard the newer compound Maxis are good, but no first hand info. We ran some of the Falken RT660 but you will need two sets as they wear kind of fast

and they do make 245's

36 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I wanna do well / win the championship.

We run 15 x 10 wheels with 245 40 15 rs4.

I know we are giving up some time with the rs4.

I am very interested in the conti force tires.  However, the biggest they make is 225 15.  Okay, let's get wheels...

Oh, apparently nobody makes 15 x 8 or 15 x 9 wheels with 5 x 4.5 and about 4 inch backspace without weighing 20 plus pounds.

So, I either need some advice on where to find wheels, or what tires should I run on my 15 x 10s?

My datsun had similar requirements, Bassett Wheels was the only thing that made sense in the end. Custom made 15x10" steelies, $100 each or so.

http://www.bassettwheel.com/dhole_lightweight.html

ROTA had some wheels in 15x9 that was light but a very limited production but they had some 15x8 as well.

• Technical Advisory Committee
33 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I found some awesome rotas listed.  Can't find them for sale anywhere.

try 18racing.com = ask for Jenny

That's where we found 15x8 and 15x9 Rotas in the not so popular 4x108 bolt pattern.

• Thanks 1

Here you go.  I just bought these in 16x8 for my 200sx that needed some pretty low offsets. I think there's only a couple companies that sell Rotas in the states, and they're all in the Bay area.  You can also buy these on ebay for nearly the same price, sometimes with cheaper shipping, and I'm sure they all come from the same warehouse. I haven't run mine yet, just bought them. Good luck.

https://www.wheeltech360.com/ROTA-Wheel-Grid-V-15x8-5x11430mm-73mm-Hub_p_103.html

• Thanks 1

Are teams really finding the Maxxis S2 compound is faster than the RS4?  In the past the S1 compound was about the same speed at first but fell off quicker and wore faster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Chris Huggins said:

Are teams really finding the Maxxis S2 compound is faster than the RS4?  In the past the S1 compound was about the same speed at first but fell off quicker and wore faster.

We had issues with S1 heat chunking because they weren’t as heat tolerant as RS4, a recent talk with a maxxis rep revealed the S2 can take 40 more degrees. Have yet to pull the trigger as we would like to run Daytona w/ the same tire as last year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You should be able to get 8 hours from a set of Falken 660’s. committing to running 2 sets of tires, one for each day, seems like it would still be less expensive than buying new wheels in the hope of running a single set of tires both days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gkuhn41 said:

245 RT660's? We just bought a set to try and see how they do. 

It will be interesting to see how the Falkens and Maxxis S2's will do. 

Anyone find any Coopers in 245/40/15?

We've only run the OG BFG Rivals, RS3's and RS4's.

One of our drivers feels the car would be faster on something other than RS4's, but the choices in our size are limited.

Any feedback would be welcome and appreciated.  

4 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

One of our drivers feels the car would be faster on something other than RS4's, but the choices in our size are limited.

You would definitely be faster, new Cooper size is supposed to be happening, call them, occasionally they have filled the coming soon sizes but availability is spotty and they go immediately to those who previously asked.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mhr650 said:

You should be able to get 8 hours from a set of Falken 660’s. committing to running 2 sets of tires, one for each day, seems like it would still be less expensive than buying new wheels in the hope of running a single set of tires both days.

From some testing (on a different car, but same size), the 660s were not that much faster and WAY more finicky.

Plus, this way I have more flexibility in the future.

42 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

From testing from other champcar and endurance teams, the 660 are marginally faster, but mat be car setup and driver dependent.  

The cooper's will MAYBE last an 8 hour day.  They are very fast.

The contis are possibly just as fast and last longer than the cooper's.

The rs4 is always in the hunt and last like literally forever.

• Like 2

Coopers will definitely last a 8 hour day if your car isn't "unusual".   I would expect to get a full 16hr weekend out of them, but per @Grant they may fall off at the end.

Update on 245s, which is the same BS they have been feeding us for over a year.

Thanks for getting in touch.

The 245/40R15 RS3-R is a new size addition to the RS3-R range of products.

We had intended to have this product available to the US market during the later stages of last year. However, several factors have impacted on this. To date we have only been able to supply a very small quantity of tires for initial on track evaluation purposes, prior to making a larger production batch.

It remains our intention to make this size available to customers in the near future and I will discuss the production plan with the manufacturing unit tomorrow morning.

The RS3-RS tires were available prior to the decision to produce a RS3-R variant in the same size. This is primarily due to the fact that the RS3-RS was being produced for use in Europe.

Kind regards

660's marginally faster than what, the ho-hos?  I would think going down to 225 is going to slow you down on the same compound, especially at the weight/power level of your car.  I would think it will overheat 225s and accelerate the wear pace also.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris Huggins said:

Coopers will definitely last a 8 hour day if your car isn't "unusual".   I would expect to get a full 16hr weekend out of them, but per @Grant they may fall off at the end.

Update on 245s, which is the same BS they have been feeding us for over a year.

660's marginally faster than what, the ho-hos?  I would think going down to 225 is going to slow you down on the same compound, especially at the weight/power level of your car.  I would think it will overheat 225s and accelerate the wear pace also.

So, you are saying the 660 are significantly faster than rs4?  I'm just asking for clarification.  What I meant was that they are marginally faster than rs4.  (Based on a direct test in the same car)

225 would probably slow me down if comparing apples to apples.  I'm looking at 225 conti force versus 245 maxxis or rs4.

I know Grant is getting decent wear out of the cooper's (like 16 hours). But his car is less than 2k lbs and has wider and taller tires.

Edited by wvumtnbkr

6 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

So, you are saying the 660 are significantly faster than rs4?  I'm just asking for clarification.  What I meant was that they are marginally faster than rs4.  (Based on a direct test in the same car)

225 would probably slow me down if comparing apples to apples.  I'm looking at 225 conti force versus 245 maxxis or rs4.

I know Grant is getting decent wear out of the cooper's (like 16 hours). But his car is less than 2k lbs and has wider and taller tires.

I don't know anything about RT660, haven't used them.

Since your car is heavier and more powerful than Grants, you will overheat tires faster, leading to increased wear and slower times, and wider tires will mitigate that.  I am suggesting going to 225's is almost definitely a bad idea for your platform.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chris Huggins said:

I don't know anything about RT660, haven't used them.

Since your car is heavier and more powerful than Grants, you will overheat tires faster, leading to increased wear and slower times, and wider tires will mitigate that.  I am suggesting going to 225's is almost definitely a bad idea for your platform.

Ah, gotcha.  

Thanks for the input.  

Soooo....  maxxis or rs4?  Lolz.

25 minutes ago, scottyk said:

Chris- we’re not feeding you BS. But I will forward your post here and let them know how you feel.  

Me want!  I've been in contact about every month about that size.  Lemme know if you need somebody to "test" them!