Annual Gear Check

Hammerheads

At the risk of saying something that isn’t supposed to be said, I suspect that ChampCar’s insurance told them that they can’t decide if your gear is safe - that only you can decide that.  But they CAN decide that it is UNSAFE and refuse to give you a sticker.  So there are still gear stickers and they still look at your gear, but you are ultimately deciding it is safe, not them.  I haven’t been through tech this year so someone can correct me if I am wrong about the experience.  

• Technical Advisory Committee
19 hours ago, Racer28173 said:

At the risk of saying something that isn’t supposed to be said, I suspect that ChampCar’s insurance told them that they can’t decide if your gear is safe - that only you can decide that.  But they CAN decide that it is UNSAFE and refuse to give you a sticker.  So there are still gear stickers and they still look at your gear, but you are ultimately deciding it is safe, not them.  I haven’t been through tech this year so someone can correct me if I am wrong about the experience.  

incorrect.

it’s purely an issue with getting things implemented behind the scenes.  We were pursuing a company to provide its platform to allow us to do this, but they were non responsive and we had to pivot to a different software platform for implementation.

things are moving along with company 2

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Bring a helmet to pit out with a black strap, last CC sticker is 2017(as an example) , holes in your suit, no balaclava for those with facial hair, wearing tennis shoes(seen it once at gear check and once when a driver got out of the car) instead of race shoes then CC does have the ability to not allow you on track. The checks at pit out will continue. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MMiskoe said:

What is the "speed waiver"? 

You're just going to throw that out there as click-bait and then not tell folks what it is.    It says "more info soon", is it soon enough?

The suspense is killing me.

Can you direct me to the link you are referring to?  I have no idea about anything regarding "speed waiver".  Let me look into it if you can get me started.

Edit: ok not sure where the link is, but Speed Waiver is a trade name of something we won't be using.  If there is a link on the site somewhere it needs to go away whenever Bill gets done at Daytona.

Edited by Rodger Coan-Burningham

17 hours ago, MMiskoe said:

The speed waiver is referenced on the supp’s for Watkins glen. 

sorry I wasn’t very clear. 

Got it.  That system kind of fell through so Dana is pursuing another option for gear check.

Edit again: So not to be confused by the tracks that use Speed Waiver for track days, like the one the day before Road America. They do use this system.

Edited by Rodger Coan-Burningham
  • Thanks 2

• Technical Advisory Committee
20 hours ago, W99 said:

I'm looking to get my HANS recertified (SFI).  Does anyone know if there will be some way to get this done on-site at Wakins?

Probably not.

discovery parts does it onsite at tracks they go to, but since wgi has an on-site speed shop they can’t go

• Administrators

Road America requires the Speedwaiver to get into the facilities. That means you HAVE to do it if you want to race with ChampCar at Road America. Not just the HPDE.

Speedwaiver: https://roadamericaeventwaivers.speedwaiver.com/drsvz 

As for the gear check, we are continuing development on integrating an online system for membership use. The first company flaked. So we have moved onto a new one that is being super responsive. If the supps of the event still say a term but do not contain a link, then before the event make certain to go back and see if it has changed. 

By the way. Many many many many many racers have shown up in 2022 with the incorrect gear to race in 2022. It's really gonna suck at pit out when this self-check system finally gets there.

And one of our racers was on fire at Daytona. He is fine and was back out racing soon after it. He was wearing the proper gear and had only one gas can over the wall with zero fuel sitting on the wall.  They also had the proper 10-pound fire bottle pointed at him, and the fire bottle guy knew what to do and how to use the fire extinguisher. I was told it took three bottles to put the fuel fire out on the Infiniti.

Stay tuned for the interview. 

Edited by Bill Strong
I chose my words incorrectly. It was not meant to be a jab at Rodger.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, MMiskoe said:

Bill - what are the major offenders with regard to out of date equipment? 

Generally, old helmets, out-of-date inspections on FHRs, tattered suits, single layer suits for drivers with no undies, M-rated helmets.

We do a debrief after the events are items are brought up. So I just get an overview. Let me do a more detailed analysis and I'll circle back on this. 

Thanks Bill.  It just feels like the more you know the less likely you'd be "one of those guys".  I'm glad you're mentioning it.

Snipping a wristband seems a bit draconian.  If we did that for every infraction done by every driver it would a lonely day at the track.  We all make mistakes.

10 hours ago, MMiskoe said:

Snipping a wristband seems a bit draconian.  If we did that for every infraction done by every driver it would a lonely day at the track.  We all make mistakes.

All that really does is send people back to fix it, then they re approach. Base safety isn't a really good spot for compromise or leniency. 

After all: (and this is entirely in jest, sort of)

1591320655_EntryLevelFire.jpg.c232578109c9fcab6a55c7dc4af52905.jpg

• Haha 1