auto clutch time loss question

Anyone have any empirical data on how much time is lost using auto clutch vs shifting?  If you've ever run an experiment with same car/track/conditions that would be helpful.

I know its a disadvantage as far as single lap time, and that is the scope of this question.  I'm not going to count time lost due to missed shifts or other coordination mistakes.  There is some info on it on the internet but so far what I've found is not giving me a good read on how much time is lost on a car with an H pattern shift trans on a road course. 

No, there is a setting that causes the clutch to engage automatically. It's generally only used when you don't have a clutch pedal on your setup. Paddle shifter users can have it enabled by default if no clutch is attached. 

Edited by Devon Peters
  • Like 1

Drivers should take note that there is more than one setting for this option, each progression past none, slows you down just a little bit more.  Anti-stall doesn't seem to cost much time.  Auto clutch is probably a half a car length to a car per upshift.  Auto blip is another 30%.  Auto shift, I am not sure to be honest but its even slower and come on man, you are not on @Team Infiniti  ;) this is iRacing  

1084524571_Screenshot(88).png.e8648ab6b87365097c346208b3f199fd.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Anti-stall does just that - only pushes in the clutch to keep the car from stalling

Auto-clutch is basically having the program operate the clutch for you.  It takes just a bit longer to complete the shift than if you shift yourself.

Auto-blip - sorry don't know exactly what it does

Auto-shift is the functional equivalent of putting your car in drive

@Hugh Jass the car I'm building - if it ever gets done - has only two pedals.  I started iRacing with a basic wheel and pedal set - only two pedals.  As such I've been doing only left foot braking up to this point.  I've started experimenting with right foot braking but to my surprise I am not nearly as precise with the pedal.  After I get that sorted then there is the added complexity of managing three pedals on downshifts with braking is going to take time to master - no I have not done heel toe IRL.  I have not been in iRacing two years yet, and I've got a legitimate chance to be in the top 10 in just about every race so I'm happy with the progress so far.

8 minutes ago, mostmint said:

Anti-stall does just that - only pushes in the clutch to keep the car from stalling

Auto-clutch is basically having the program operate the clutch for you.  It takes just a bit longer to complete the shift than if you shift yourself.

Auto-blip - sorry don't know exactly what it does

Auto-shift is the functional equivalent of putting your car in drive

@Hugh Jass the car I'm building - if it ever gets done - has only two pedals.  I started iRacing with a basic wheel and pedal set - only two pedals.  As such I've been doing only left foot braking up to this point.  I've started experimenting with right foot braking but to my surprise I am not nearly as precise with the pedal.  After I get that sorted then there is the added complexity of managing three pedals on downshifts with braking is going to take time to master - no I have not done heel toe IRL.  I have not been in iRacing two years yet, and I've got a legitimate chance to be in the top 10 in just about every race so I'm happy with the progress so far.

If we are talking about that Vette only having two pedals, I will still be happy to drive it for you. ;) 

Auto-blip - is supposed to help on the downshifts (it doesn't, just blip with right and brake left because you don't need to clutch the downshifts), but its my understanding and observation that it slows your shifts even more than auto-clutch.

Ultimately iRacing is like ChampCar racing, do what makes you happy and the hell with the rest.  I am just sharing the musings of a wash up sim racing try-hard.  My understanding my be outdated as I have not dedicated myself to iRacing like I used to since the end of 2020.  

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Ultimately iRacing is like ChampCar racing, do what makes you happy and the hell with the rest.  I am just sharing the musings of a wash up sim racing try-hard.  My understanding my be outdated as I have not dedicated myself to iRacing like I used to since the end of 2020.  

I guess I just decided to tell you where I was rather than throw some shade back lol.

Luckily I'm not trying to go pro so I can work at my own pace which might allow me to get closer to 3x league winner try-hard status.  It took 5 years for my team to get to the podium in ChampCar so I suppose I have three years to see if I can match that.