Fuel Cell Question

Hello all -

At Daytona tech, we got told we'll get a 1-race exemption because we don't have any paperwork with our fuel cell.  My questions here are:

• Do we need an in-date certified FT3 fuel cell, or is it just that we need an FT3 cell with paperwork showing it was FT3 certified?
  • Can we buy and install an FT3 rated bladder to replace the one in our cell now?  Does that come with the paperwork showing the rating in general?  Something like https://www.summitracing.com/parts/abt-mb115 

As usual, thanks for the input!  I read through the other cell confusion thread and guess what?  I was still confused. 😅

• 5 weeks later...

Basic info is we bought the car with the ATL fuel cell already in it, we believe whatever the full cell is called that included that MB115 interior.  There's zero paperwork that came with it.  It's been in the car since long before we got it and we've had it since 2015.

The canister is in fine condition but you can't read any of the certifications that may or may not have been on there in the past.  Based on what I've read, the thing that is certified is the bladder itself - the canister has very basic requirements on it.

If we can, we'd like to just buy a replacement bladder which will (presumably) come with the certification paperwork.  Also, ATL's site says they put the certification sticker on the bladder, not the exterior of the cell canister.

Just trying to get some clarity here - it would be awfully nice to spend $500 on a certified bladder rather than $1500 on a new cell.

Last cell I had was kind of printed on the bladder itself. You will need to take bladder out of the can to be able to see if the printing or tag is still on the bladder. If none are visible you are stuck to purchase a new bladder/cell or put original tank back in. None sound great. 

3 hours ago, TimS said:

Last cell I had was kind of printed on the bladder itself. You will need to take bladder out of the can to be able to see if the printing or tag is still on the bladder. If none are visible you are stuck to purchase a new bladder/cell or put original tank back in. None sound great. 

We're okay getting a new bladder; we just wanted to make sure that would be sufficient.  Last thing we want to do is buy both a new bladder and then have to buy a whole new cell because tech decides that isn't good enough.  And we were given a 1-race exemption, so the first time we'd find out is when we show up to race at Sebring.

Edited by krispykritter

My understanding of fuel cells is the bladder is the key and the only thing with an FIA or SFI certification.  The can it rides in is just a can. Same with the fill plate and other accessories. They get reused and bladder gets changed. 

Edited by TimS
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2022 at 5:04 PM, TimS said:

My understanding of fuel cells is the bladder is the key and the only thing with an FIA or SFI certification.  The can it rides in is just a can. Same with the fill plate and other accessories. They get reused and bladder gets changed. 

Agreed, that's my reading of it as well.  Hopefully tech believes the same thing!

• Like 1